2019 Baseball season (8 Viewers)

Stanton always seems injured. I think he played about 20 or so games last year. Another one who seems to have the injury bug is Judge. They are talented ball players but if you can’t play, what’s the point?

Yeah gee, what a shame..................

Sunday was the 25th anniversary of 2131, Ripken's record setting consecutive game. I don't watch professional sports much anymore but was visiting relatives and they had the O's on tv. Interesting interview by Ben MacDonald (another former disappointment in the pitching dept) and Ripken. Discussed being called selfish by the media during his career and whether he thought he was purposely given a HR pitch in that game. Chris

Sunday was the 25th anniversary of 2131, Ripken's record setting consecutive game. I don't watch professional sports much anymore but was visiting relatives and they had the O's on tv. Interesting interview by Ben MacDonald (another former disappointment in the pitching dept) and Ripken. Discussed being called selfish by the media during his career and whether he thought he was purposely given a HR pitch in that game. Chris
I'm getting so old. This seems just like yesterday to me. Can't believe it's been 25 years ago. {sm2} -- Al

I'm getting so old. This seems just like yesterday to me. Can't believe it's been 25 years ago. {sm2} -- Al

At least it was 25 years ago.

I am so tired of ESPN announcing some milestone in sports, noting it hasn’t happened since 2019......

I can't get into baseball until they reach the playoffs but some eye popping box scores last night. The Braves won 29-9! The Brewers 19-0. SF 10-1.

Another player from the Giant’s WS runs has been let go. The Giants designated Pablo Sandoval for assignment yesterday.

Tonight's Nats/Braves game was a lesson in frustration, for both teams. The Nats, for the 2nd game in a row, blew a 5 run lead, including letting the Braves score 3 in the 9th to tie the game and send it to extra innings. The Nats then demonstrated how NOT to play small ball by going 0-5 on sacrificial bunt attempts. It could hardly have been less frustrating for the Braves, who with 14 hits and drawing 12 walks, couldn't push across a winning run, stranding 22 runners in the course of the game, including several in extra innings. Nats won in the bottom of the 12th after Taylor got a 2 out hit. It was a hard to watch game as so many fundamentals went by the wayside and it became a matter of which team would literally luck into the win. -- Al

Tonight's Nats/Braves game was a lesson in frustration, for both teams. The Nats, for the 2nd game in a row, blew a 5 run lead, including letting the Braves score 3 in the 9th to tie the game and send it to extra innings. The Nats then demonstrated how NOT to play small ball by going 0-5 on sacrificial bunt attempts. It could hardly have been less frustrating for the Braves, who with 14 hits and drawing 12 walks, couldn't push across a winning run, stranding 22 runners in the course of the game, including several in extra innings. Nats won in the bottom of the 12th after Taylor got a 2 out hit. It was a hard to watch game as so many fundamentals went by the wayside and it became a matter of which team would literally luck into the win. -- Al

That seems to be a common trait in this years MLB, a lack of fundamentals with teams lucking into wins, especially in extra innings. While I do like the new runner on second to start the 10th rule, I am disappointed by the fact that teams don’t strategize more in trying to at least get that runner home in the top of the inning while relying on defense and relief pitching in the bottom of the inning to get the win.

Christmas has come early as the Coupons have announced they’ve signed an agreement to sell the Mets to Steve Cohen. Never will the Mets claim poormouth again. Cohen is only worth about $13 B.

First order of business, as soon as the sale is approved, fire the GM, the manager and the front office. Clean them all out. Then sign Realmuto for starters.

Christmas has come early as the Coupons have announced they’ve signed an agreement to sell the Mets to Steve Cohen. Never will the Mets claim poormouth again. Cohen is only worth about $13 B.

First order of business, as soon as the sale is approved, fire the GM, the manager and the front office. Clean them all out. Then sign Realmuto for starters.

Brad:

Congrats. Ownership matters a lot in baseball. Hopefully the Mets can turn the corner and reward their long suffering fans with some playoff caliber teams.

-Jason

The best thing is that the Wilpons will soon be gone. Due to their constant interference the franchise has been poorly managed. Cohen is no saint; his brokerage firm plead guilty to insider trading and was banned from providing advice to any client for several years but the team will be better run than the Wilpons ran it.

Just read a story that MLB is going with a 16 team playoff from now on, 8 teams in each league will qualify.

As it stands right now, one AL team is sub 500 and three NL teams are, can't wait for an 80-82 team to knock off a team with 110 wins in a 3 game series.

Beyond idiotic, the regular season is now basically meaningless.

Manfred makes Selig look competent.

Maybe the NY football Giants can petition baseball to move to their league, they're the kings of having a mediocre team pull a title out of their backside.

Just read a story that MLB is going with a 16 team playoff from now on, 8 teams in each league will qualify.

As it stands right now, one AL team is sub 500 and three NL teams are, can't wait for an 80-82 team to knock off a team with 110 wins in a 3 game series.

Beyond idiotic, the regular season is now basically meaningless.

Manfred makes Selig look competent.

Maybe the NY football Giants can petition baseball to move to their league, they're the kings of having a mediocre team pull a title out of their backside.

It’s just this year. However, the extra innings rule and doubleheader rule may become permanent.

It’s just this year. However, the extra innings rule and doubleheader rule may become permanent.

Manfred also said the expanded, 16-team postseason is likely to remain beyond 2020, adding that “an overwhelming majority” of owners had already endorsed the concept before the pandemic.
“I think there’s a lot to commend it,” he said, “and it is one of those changes I hope will become a permanent part of our landscape.”
Asked about making permanent some of this year’s other temporary rule changes, Manfred was noncommittal. However, he said the adoption of a universal designated hitter in both leagues has “softened” opposition to the DH in the NL, and he said the new extra-inning rule — with each half-inning beginning with a runner on second — has been greeted with a better-than-expected reception and “has a chance now” to stick. He was less optimistic about retaining seven-inning doubleheaders beyond 2020.

I don't like either rule.
Mark

The problem with baseball is the owners don't know how to grow their product anymore, keeping some of the foolish new rules and ruining the playoff format are changes that could affect the continued enthusiasm of long term fans like myself and probably won't bring new fans to the table.

It's idiotic.

Personally, I still haven't 'adjusted' to Baseball 2020. I just can't take this season seriously. I hope to see a return to normalcy (wishful thinking?) in 2021, meaning a return to pre-2020 rules and regulations. MLB doesn't need 30 teams in the playoffs like the other pro leagues, and certainly shouldn't be shortening games on a permanent basis. As to the extra inning rule with the man on 2nd, well, that is perfect for the Baseball 2020 version we have now, but needs to be buried and forgotten once this 'season' is done. Come on 2021. -- Al

Manfred also said the expanded, 16-team postseason is likely to remain beyond 2020, adding that “an overwhelming majority” of owners had already endorsed the concept before the pandemic.
“I think there’s a lot to commend it,” he said, “and it is one of those changes I hope will become a permanent part of our landscape.”
Asked about making permanent some of this year’s other temporary rule changes, Manfred was noncommittal. However, he said the adoption of a universal designated hitter in both leagues has “softened” opposition to the DH in the NL, and he said the new extra-inning rule — with each half-inning beginning with a runner on second — has been greeted with a better-than-expected reception and “has a chance now” to stick. He was less optimistic about retaining seven-inning doubleheaders beyond 2020.

I stand corrected. I’m not a big fan of an expanded format but its use in future years will require the Union’s approval. In addition, the doubleheader format may not survive because relief pitchers are concerned that its continued use may affect their jobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back