All things Conte (1 Viewer)

Re: Seriously - Is CONTE Still in Business ?

KW are you referring to the Scotts in the 2 playsets RC did?
If so, and this is not Conte bashng, they were not very good. If you remember he did these in resin, not the soft plastic as his other sets.
It was his first use of resin and they did not come out well. In fact I bought the 2 sets at the OTSN show the year they came out took them back to the hotel, inspected them and took them back to RC the next day asking for my money back.
But you know RC, he talked me into keeping them.
The buildings were fabulous but the figures not so. I eventually sold off the figures.
The resin figures he has done for the Alamo and Civil War are great, but that first forray into resin was a disaster and to RC,s credit prior to their release he stated that he did them in resin to get a quicker and cheaper release.
Gary

I do not know if they were from the sets. Could be. I only saw them in an old flyer.

Why does Conte's products lose value while others don't?
Mark

I decided to rid myself of Contes metal sets, had to almost give them away on Ebay.
And then most buyers were international.
Gary

Conte had/has an interesting way of doing business.

Kind of like complete saturation in a pretty small market which really isn't expanding enough to match their goals.

I was managing Classic Toys in NYC when Conte came on the scene. I thought it was good product but I didn't think the plastics would do that well for us (and they really didn't). The metal figures we couldn't keep in stock.

So, a year goes by and we see them at Toy Fair with a small booth. We have a nice conversation, they try to pressure us into buying the plastics, etc. We don't go for it.

A comic book shop opened next door to us. They also had other things like kits and action figures. They liked conte (knowing that we were carrying the metal figures) and decided to carry it in direct next door competition to us and began to price war us.

I saw it land there and I saw that they were also picking up the metal sets.

I immdiately called Conte and told them that selling directly to a place RIGHT NEXT DOOR was not good for the three of us and to not do that again. They said it was their right to do so and that if we were not going to carry the plastics and playsets that they'd rather sell to the comic shop but we were welcome to continue placing orders (gee thanks). I said "ok".

After that order from the comic shop, we had moved on with Frontline and K&C and a numbe rof other makers. Village Comics never ordered again and I guess Conte realized that they messed up. So they call me. Just to clarify, I would speak with Richard Conte himself and we would be very friendly and would agree to stuff but when his business manager (forget her name) got involved, it would turn into something very different.

I brought the stuff back in but it never regained what it lost in the few months we didn't stock it. When we stocked new makers, our customers kind of shifted along with us and kept pace. It was wonderful that way.

Then, we placed an order for a lot of WWII and Civil War products. What do they ship us? A huge overstock of the Warlord and Pirate sets which stopped selling for them. Then they demanded we pay for it (we didn't cause we didn't order it) and then they sent it to collections. Screw that.

With Frontline, K&C, Tommy Atkins, Tradition, Britains, Guard Corps, Tom Loback, Imperial, Alymer, Toy Army Workshop, Peter Greenhill, HECO, etc, no drama, no worries. We'd have to wait a long time for some orders but no issues otherwise.

Conte thought they were a much larger company than they actually were and treated some of us dealers like they could "call the shots". I think they've learned some lessons over time but, what ever.

I guess the question is ... Was Richard Conte calling the shots on those decisions or were they screw ups by the employees he just fired ?

Gideon - you have dealt with Conte in a differen way than most of us - so I can appreciate your viewpoint and would agree with it. But, from my conversations with Richard - it seems your story is like many other dealer stories which he claims he didn't know about ? So - there you have it.

I guess we shall see what the NEW CONTE COMPANY will provide in service, product and customer/dealer relations.

Yes Gentelman Conte's Still In Business. So Gentelman let's give it a rest and let's see what happens in the future.

Lt

If you had read the entire thread - you would have found that since the thread was started - myself and KV - and I believe a few others ... Have recently heard back from Richard Conte and he has (which has been passed on to Members of this Forum) told us what is going on with CONTECO.

And further into your readings - as you will find - my position is positive towards Richard Conte, his company and his products.

This thread has served many important purposes on this forum.

1) It has asked the question and received a response

2) It has brought forth Friends to Promote and People who dislike for various reasons - to give a complete discussion on a Toy Soldier maker.

3) It has given dealers and collectors who have been wronged by CONTECO - its staff or maybe Richard himself - a chance to talk about their experience and dare I say - give them closure to their issues.

4) It has been a great resource for Richard or any of his "new staff" to look upon and try to avoid the mistakes of the past.

5) It has given Conte Fans a chance to discuss a very current issue of what was happening to CONTE and their products.

So - No - I don't think we need to give it a rest. This discussion is doing fine and many people are gaining understand and valuable information. I am sorry if this thread upsets you - perhaps if you review the thread more closely or just avoid entirely - you will be happier - with all due respect.

I for one believe that an honest discussion about Toy Soldiers and the product world is what this forum is all about. That is what is being done here.

Respectfully,

Ron

I respect your opinion Ron and response along with otherswho have comment on the subject but do not agree with continuing with the subject it's been beaten to death. So please feel free along with others to continue and I believe I answered the question that started the thread which was Is Conte still in business by stating yes he is.....The Lt.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I just wanted to let everyone know that I just purchased 4 different items from Conte, and had them in 5 days!!!! That is the fastest service I have ever gotten from him before or ANYONE else. If this is the new trend, then I think its a definate winner over Vagas crew!!!!...........Stryker II

Who is next on the pre mortem autopsy list ? Saint Andrew, the Wangs or perhaps one of the Brit makers ? I am sure that if everybody digs deep enough we can find sins and scandals for all...............

Who is next on the pre mortem autopsy list ? Saint Andrew, the Wangs or perhaps one of the Brit makers ? I am sure that if everybody digs deep enough we can find sins and scandals for all...............

Saint Andrew???

FWIW, I think it has proven to be an interesting an useful thread. It has been especially helpful for many of us who greatly respect and admire the quality and originality of Conte's figures to hear RC's current plans and better appreciate the trials and events of the past. I frankly have never had a Conte service issue and only share the general frustration of delay and confusion over new product lines and product line re-supply. I very much look forward to new releases, especially to suppliment the Spartan lines. Despite the title, I believe this thread has shown equal measure of support and criticism and has been rather fair and balanced in the criticism. Venting is useful at times and what better place to do it than here? I humbly suggest that this thread should continue as long as anyone has something germane to say.

I think you've made your point both here and on the Canadian forum that Conte is a swell guy.

We get it already.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I just wanted to let everyone know that I just purchased 4 different items from Conte, and had them in 5 days!!!! That is the fastest service I have ever gotten from him before or ANYONE else. If this is the new trend, then I think its a definate winner over Vagas crew!!!!...........Stryker II

Did you purchase the items from his ebay store or his warehouse in NC? I ordered something tuesday off his ebay store, and my paypal didn't clear till Friday and shipped off saturday, I'm just asking as I rarely use ebay, and am wondering if it is normal to take a couple days to make sure the the payment is legit?

Vick

Did you purchase the items from his ebay store or his warehouse in NC? I ordered something tuesday off his ebay store, and my paypal didn't clear till Friday and shipped off saturday, I'm just asking as I rarely use ebay, and am wondering if it is normal to take a couple days to make sure the the payment is legit?

Vick

I had both.....................Sgt Stryker

The amount of time to process seems fine to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back