Alma Figures Crimean War - Gloss and Matt (2 Viewers)

Looking good, looking good. Jeff, are the heads on those marching highlanders interchangable or were they attached to the torso already....just wondering if one could have some variety in the front and rear ranks as far as facial hair is conserned.

MD

Looking good, looking good. Jeff, are the heads on those marching highlanders interchangable or were they attached to the torso already....just wondering if one could have some variety in the front and rear ranks as far as facial hair is conserned.

MD

Dave, you get 2 heads per kit. I did one of each.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 07.jpg
    alma 07.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 144
I decided to go down the same route as the Guardsmen - carry on with one figure to see what the figures look like finished. I chose the 42nd Black Watch Private not quite there yet but managed to get more of the detailing finished today.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 73.jpg
    alma 73.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 109
  • alma 74.jpg
    alma 74.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 111
  • alma 75.jpg
    alma 75.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 109
  • alma 76.jpg
    alma 76.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 108
  • alma 77.jpg
    alma 77.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 111
Jeff,
Your faces on the figures are not only awesome, but you have imparted a certain character to them... A "Jeff" flavor. They are a marketable bunch with a lot going for them!
Pray for Daylight!
Mike

Jeff,
Your faces on the figures are not only awesome, but you have imparted a certain character to them... A "Jeff" flavor. They are a marketable bunch with a lot going for them!
Pray for Daylight!
Mike

Mike,

Praise should really go to the person who sculpted the figures - all I did was to paint the detail, but thanks.

Jeff

Mike,

Praise should really go to the person who sculpted the figures - all I did was to paint the detail, but thanks.

Jeff

Credit where credit is due Jeff, If I got a hold of the figures no matter how well they were sculpted they wouldn't look as great as they do.

Credit where credit is due Jeff, If I got a hold of the figures no matter how well they were sculpted they wouldn't look as great as they do.

Thanks Scott, these are really nice figures to paint with all the raised detail.

Jeff

Looking very impressive, Jeff. The photos make the little details seem so big, when in fact, they are quite small.

Can't wait to see the rest of your work, and looking forward to a bit of a "blow by blow" on the tartan.

MD

Yo Troopers, so I dont take this thread off of Jeffs great work, just added a couple of close up of the Chas Stadden 90mm painting. I would love to get an original unpainted (not Kit) just to let Jeff paint it:rolleyes:. Jeff is sitting there saying this guy just loves to make work for me lol. Its not that being lucky enough to have some of Jeffs great painted Cavalry sets, I am sure he would love to have a go at a 90mm its so much more to go at, and he could use his Distemper brush;).
Bernard.

Attachments

• SL731072.jpg
    SL731072.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 128
  • SL731071.JPG
    SL731071.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 122
  • SL731068.jpg
    SL731068.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 128
  • SL731075.JPG
    SL731075.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 127
Yo Troopers, so I dont take this thread off of Jeffs great work, just added a couple of close up of the Chas Stadden 90mm painting. I would love to get an original unpainted (not Kit) just to let Jeff paint it:rolleyes:. Jeff is sitting there saying this guy just loves to make work for me lol. Its not that being lucky enough to have some of Jeffs great painted Cavalry sets, I am sure he would love to have a go at a 90mm its so much more to go at, and he could use his Distemper brush;).
Bernard.

Bernard, nice idea but I've only got 14 tins of Humbrol gloss paint and most of those are green! :D

Jeff

Bernard, nice idea but I've only got 14 tins of Humbrol gloss paint and most of those are green! :D

Jeff

lol no problem, Chas did a model of the Green Jackets:D, I will see if I can get that one for you:eek:
Bernard.

lol no problem, Chas did a model of the Green Jackets:D, I will see if I can get that one for you:eek:
Bernard.

Talking of Green Jackets!......these turned up today in the post from Michel - a couple of officers for the Guards and three Riflemen !!! :D:D.......Oh the temptation to start these now. ;):cool:

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 81.jpg
    alma 81.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 110
  • alma 82.jpg
    alma 82.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 110
  • alma 83.jpg
    alma 83.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 113
I would appreciate very much a good step by step on the tartan painting process. :)

MD

Back to the 42nd, the next stage is painting the tartan. I removed the sporran to make the painting easier and this will be re-attached later. Now this is the way I paint and not necessarily the correct way but it does for me.

So for the Government or 42nd Tartan the kilt was painted dark blue all over.

The front of the kilt is different to the back, so front first - vertical and horizontal bands are painted in dark green, what helps with these figures is that the detail is cast on the kilt and acts as a guide. The horizontal bands are carried round to the back, but no vertical ones.

Black lines painted to cross the blue and green.

I ran out of time and daylight and the paint needs time to dry before the next stage - this is the problem with gloss enamel paint - drying time. Hopefully I can get the tartan finished tomorrow.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 78.jpg
    alma 78.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 121
Very nice Jeff, painting tartan would (for me at least) be a bit daunting. I think I remember seeing somewhere online a guide to painting tartan on toy soldiers. I can see if I can find it if anyone is interested?

Very nice Jeff, painting tartan would (for me at least) be a bit daunting. I think I remember seeing somewhere online a guide to painting tartan on toy soldiers. I can see if I can find it if anyone is interested?

Thanks - but I got it wrong! :eek: I have repainted the blue and dark green areas - moved them down one square.

I then carried on with the correct pattern. Where the green bands cross, I painted these squares in a lighter green.

Lastly I painted thin (and these are thin!) black lines through the green bands.

Back view of tartan shows the horizontal bands only.

Sorry for the cock-up, on with the sporran.

Jeff

Attachments

• alma 84.jpg
    alma 84.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 99
  • alma 85.jpg
    alma 85.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 106
  • alma 86.jpg
    alma 86.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 101
That's some fine detail you've got going on there Jeff. Showing off with your multiple greens, but very nice detail. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back