Baseball 2011 (3 Viewers)

Now George, if I were a religious man, I might think that god was clearly a Yankee fan . . . :wink2:

I AM a religious guy...and as I read the Bible I hear of a God who consistently looks out for the little guy...like the Brewers!

Halliday is the best in the game. -- Al

That is certainly true. I think the three-run homer to Berkman in the first was an abberation, just a good swing by a great hitter. Once Halladay past the 1st inning, he was lights out. He is a Cy Young winner for a reason and that reason was on display today.

And now we see The Perfesser at work, LaRussa moving his pitchers around like so many pawns on the chessboard...

Overall, I enjoy watching LaRussa and his chess-matches. However, today was not one of those days.

Great win for the Phillies. Hopefully Game 2 will be a little better for the Cards....

Noah

Cano could, and did.^&grin -- Al

That's awesome, I'm so glad to know that, what a plucky bunch of guys, it's them against the world as nobody picked the Yankees to win anything this year, if by some miracle they can win a world series this year, think of all the long suffering Yankee fans who will be rewarded for hanging in there since their last title in 2009.

What a great story, heartwarming really.

That's awesome, I'm so glad to know that, what a plucky bunch of guys, it's them against the world as nobody picked the Yankees to win anything this year, if by some miracle they can win a world series this year, think of all the long suffering Yankee fans who will be rewarded for hanging in there since their last title in 2009.

What a great story, heartwarming really.
George, I beginning to think that you are not a Yankees fan. The lead is 1 game to none, but it certainly isn't going to be a walkover. The games today went pretty much as I expected. Going to be interesting to see if the Cards can dent Lee tomorrow. -- Al

I AM a religious guy...and as I read the Bible I hear of a God who consistently looks out for the little guy...like the Brewers!

Sorry Pete, but one Division title ever? If there is an omnipotent and omnicient being, he is clearly a Yankees fan . . . look, thanks to a little rain, the Yanks took the series opener 9-3, a game started by Verlander, who will only get one more start in the ALDS.

George, I beginning to think that you are not a Yankees fan. The lead is 1 game to none, but it certainly isn't going to be a walkover. The games today went pretty much as I expected. Going to be interesting to see if the Cards can dent Lee tomorrow. -- Al

Al, you're one of the most hard core baseball guys I know, so you'll appreciate this; growing up as a kid following baseball, it was the Tigers, Red Sox and Orioles who were the good teams in the late 60's, early to mid 70's.

The Yankees, in a word, stunk.

Better yet, they stunk on ice.

Then Steinbrenner rolled up in his Tiger tank, bought the team, free agency started and he opened his checkbook up and suddenly, the Yankees were a good team.

So yes, you are correct, I am not a Yankees fan.

Sorry Pete, but one Division title ever? If there is an omnipotent and omnicient being, he is clearly a Yankees fan . . . look, thanks to a little rain, the Yanks took the series opener 9-3, a game started by Verlander, who will only get one more start in the ALDS.

We live in a world with powers of good....and evil...it's open to interpretation which one backs the Yankees :wink2:

Al, you're one of the most hard core baseball guys I know, so you'll appreciate this; growing up as a kid following baseball, it was the Tigers, Red Sox and Orioles who were the good teams in the late 60's, early to mid 70's.

The Yankees, in a word, stunk.

Better yet, they stunk on ice.

Then Steinbrenner rolled up in his Tiger tank, bought the team, free agency started and he opened his checkbook up and suddenly, the Yankees were a good team.

So yes, you are correct, I am not a Yankees fan.
George, I do appreciate those teams from those decades. It was the Maris-Mantle HR race that hooked me on baseball. The O's 1966 win over the Dodgers was a highlight and I really wanted Lonborg and gang to win. Never cared much for McLain but loved Lolich. Oddly enough, those bad Yankee teams are what endeared me to the franchise. I loved Mantle but I also liked guys like Tresh, Pepitone, Clarke. I was stunned by the Peterson-Kekich wife swapping thing, though. My favorite on those bad teams was a very good pitcher named Mel Stottlemyre. He was a winner. One of the things from back then that still burns me was that idiot Bob Short (the Senators owner), who dealt 4 players, (a future 20 game winner named Joe Coleman; the starting SS Ed Brinkman; the starting 3B Aurelio Rodriguez, and a pitcher named Hannan), to the Tigers for a washed up Denny McLain, who promptly lost 21 games for the Senators. Just TORE the heart out of a rising team being managed by Ted Williams. It was Short ran Williams back out of baseball with that trade and his other meddling and it was Short who moved the team to Texas. May he burn in Hades. But I'm not bitter. Much.:rolleyes2::mad::mad: Can't beat baseball, in my book. I like football just fine, but there is nothing like baseball.^&grin -- Al

We live in a world with powers of good....and evil...it's open to interpretation which one backs the Yankees :wink2:
Evidently, God wasn't on the side of the NYY's today. Everytime they tried to rally, it started to pour buckets and some guy in the grandstands started to build an ark. {eek3} -- Al

So basically, in your eyes, the devil gets his favorite team 27 championships while God's favorite team hasn't won one in recent memory? I can't imagine an omnicient and omnipotent diety would have such a lousy record . . . {eek3}

That being said, the weather didn't favor the Yanks today, although I think the poor offensive effort of the Yankees, rather than the weather, is to blame . . .:wink2:

The Brew Crew is looking good and sitting pretty, up 2-0 in games. Congrats, Milwaukee. Keep your foot on the accelerator. :wink2: -- Al

The Cards did manage too dent Lee and now they are tied 1-1 in games, going to St. Louis. Only the Brew Crew in a position to sweep, up 2-0. NYY waited too long to start hitting and are tied 1-1 now, as are the Rangers. The playoffs look to be as interesting as I had thought they would be. Hope CC can get it done. -- Al

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Badolato View Post
So basically, in your eyes, the devil gets his favorite team 27 championships.........

It is more like the Jesus quote , " GIVE TO CAESAR WHAT IS CAESAR'S AND TO GOD WHAT IS GOD'S"..The Yankees are the Roman Empire at the height of their POWER..:D And there is the oldie, but goodie, " BLESSED ARE THE POOR FOR THEY WILL INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD ". So the Red Sox and other teams still have something to look forward to.:eek: Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Badolato View Post
So basically, in your eyes, the devil gets his favorite team 27 championships.........

It is more like the Jesus quote , " GIVE TO CAESAR WHAT IS CAESAR'S AND TO GOD WHAT IS GOD'S"..The Yankees are the Roman Empire at the height of their POWER..:D And there is the oldie, but goodie, " BLESSED ARE THE POOR FOR THEY WILL INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD ". So the Red Sox and other teams still have something to look forward to.:eek: Michael
Good points. So I interpret this to mean that the NYY empire will last, oh say, another 300-400 ball seasons.:wink2::D -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back