Baseball 2011 (2 Viewers)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Badolato View Post
So basically, in your eyes, the devil gets his favorite team 27 championships.........

It is more like the Jesus quote , " GIVE TO CAESAR WHAT IS CAESAR'S AND TO GOD WHAT IS GOD'S"..The Yankees are the Roman Empire at the height of their POWER..:D And there is the oldie, but goodie, " BLESSED ARE THE POOR FOR THEY WILL INHERIT THE KINGDOM OF GOD ". So the Red Sox and other teams still have something to look forward to.:eek: Michael

The meek will inhereit the earth . . . when the strong have used it all up and are good and done with it.^&grin

Looks like you boys made a deal with him in 2004, George . . . :wink2:

Maybe, but how do you explain 2007, two titles in four years?

They've gone downhill since though; since losing to the Doofin Rays in the 2008 ALCS, they haven't won a playoff game and have missed the playoffs two years in a row.

Maybe Tom, John and Larry had better focus on BASEBALL instead of soccer, race cars, peddling stadium bricks, putting their logo on everything under the sun and all the other non baseball crap they've been focused on the past four years.

Maybe, but how do you explain 2007, two titles in four years?

They've gone downhill since though; since losing to the Doofin Rays in the 2008 ALCS, they haven't won a playoff game and have missed the playoffs two years in a row.

Maybe Tom, John and Larry had better focus on BASEBALL instead of soccer, race cars, peddling stadium bricks, putting their logo on everything under the sun and all the other non baseball crap they've been focused on the past four years.

Why? Liverpool is doing pretty well this year :smile2:

Well, isn't this special? The nightmare scenario has played out exactly as the NYY's had hoped it wouldn't. Verlander outlasts CC. The Tigers lead the series 2-1. Tonight's game is the season for the NYY's and who's on the hill for NY? AJ 'Gopher ball' Burnett.:eek: Could this be any worse for NY? AJ HAS to pitch the game of his life tonight or it's "good night Irene" for the NYY's season. I don't know if I can even watch. It has all come down (as it always does) to pitching and the NYY's are going to be caught short and will be eliminated. I've worried about the NY starting pitching all year and now those worries are going to come home to roost. I will, of course, heartily apologize and eat crow if AJ comes through and beats Detroit tonight, but I don't believe I am in any danger of having to clean feathers out of my teeth.{sm2} -- Al

This series is far from over but I would just like to point out win or lose the Tigers are not pretenders as one particular Yankee fan felt the need to point out. In fact if the Tigers do win the series I'm thinking the Yankees were the pretenders all along^&grin Sorry if I offended Yankee fan but that comment about a month/month and halfback just ticked me off:mad:

AJ may be pitching but so is Porcello. He should be the medicine that cures the Yankees bats.

The likelihood that there won't be a game 5 is slim and none and slim just left town.

It certainly is more exciting for a series to go to the last game.

I'd like the Phils to beat the Cardinals as easily as possible, but I knew that it's not likely to be, and it would be cool if they do win the series and win it in Philly.

This series is far from over but I would just like to point out win or lose the Tigers are not pretenders as one particular Yankee fan felt the need to point out. In fact if the Tigers do win the series I'm thinking the Yankees were the pretenders all along^&grin Sorry if I offended Yankee fan but that comment about a month/month and halfback just ticked me off:mad:

It was my comment, and I am sorry you were offended by it. It was aimed at the Twins, whom I expected to win the central as they perineally do, then get swept by the Yankees, as they always do. I made the comment not fully realizing the season Verlander would have. If you take away Verlander's incredible season (one of the best by a pitcher in my lifetime, right up there with Ron Guidry's 1978 campaign) your Tigers would not have made the playoffs, but with him, and the pitcher they picked up from Seattle at the trade deadline, the Tigers are true contenders.

That being said, if the Yankees win tonight, they will win the series and advance. If your team finds away to lose to A.J. Burnett in your house, they will definitely not be able to beat Ivan Nova in Yankee Stadium in game 5.

Bye bye Rays; literally tens of people are crying in the streets in Tampa right now.

Glad to see Nolan's Rangers are getting another shot. Always liked Nolan. I don't think you'll ever see another pitcher throw 7 no-hitters and his wildness didn't hurt. Couldn't afford to dig in.:wink2: -- Al

Glad to see Nolan's Rangers are getting another shot. Always liked Nolan. I don't think you'll ever see another pitcher throw 7 no-hitters and his wildness didn't hurt. Couldn't afford to dig in.:wink2: -- Al

Nolan is awesome, the man never smiles, glad the Rangers are going to the ALCS.

Cardinals just lost 3-2. Jaime Garcia was great, except for the home run he gave up in the 7th. That's baseball though. Hopefully they can take game 4, then head back to Philly.

Also, congrats to the Rangers for winning their division series.

Noah

Whew! Granderson just saved the Bombers butts in the 1st inning. 8 more innings to go. -- Al

Yes, the Phillies didn't really earn that win, but it's a win nonetheless. Interesting, though--with those runs, Garcia's lifetime ERA against the Phils has just about doubled. He had a .96 ERA against them, in his starts, coming into the game. They still really couldn't figure out his stuff.

Well, isn't this special? The nightmare scenario has played out exactly as the NYY's had hoped it wouldn't. Verlander outlasts CC. The Tigers lead the series 2-1. Tonight's game is the season for the NYY's and who's on the hill for NY? AJ 'Gopher ball' Burnett.:eek: Could this be any worse for NY? AJ HAS to pitch the game of his life tonight or it's "good night Irene" for the NYY's season. I don't know if I can even watch. It has all come down (as it always does) to pitching and the NYY's are going to be caught short and will be eliminated. I've worried about the NY starting pitching all year and now those worries are going to come home to roost. I will, of course, heartily apologize and eat crow if AJ comes through and beats Detroit tonight, but I don't believe I am in any danger of having to clean feathers out of my teeth.{sm2} -- Al
AJ went 5.2 innings and only allowed 1 run. He has given the NYY's a good chance to win. SHHH. Be vewy, vewy quiet. I'm hunting cwows.{sm2}:D:D -- Al

First the Tiger's short stop flat out robs Robinson Cano for the third out of the top of the first, then A.J.'s release point is all screwed up in the bottom of the first, and he walks the lead off man, allows him to steal second after a popped up bunt, then intenionally walks Cabrera and walks Victor Martinez to load the bases. The next guy up, Kelly, smokes one to deep center, and my heart flat out stops as Granderson misjudges it and breaks in, nearly playing it into an inside the park grand slam home run before he makes a snow cone leaping grab.

Suddenly, A.J. finds his release point, and with the exception of serving up a solo meatball to Martinez in the third, pitches lights out. Jeter finally gets a big hit in the clutch. Granderson, Gardner and Posada keep having hot series. Soriano, with help from a flat out great play by Granderson, pitches great for an inning and a third. Martin, A-Rod, Teixiera, Swisher and Cano's bats all wake up in the 8th inning. A-Rod gets a second hit in the 9th, and Teixiera hits one to the wall in right center that would have been 10 rows deep in the seats at Yankee Stadium, his best swing of the post season.

Now the teams return to Yankee Stadium for a deciding game 5, Ivan Nova (1-0), a rookie with ice cubes in his veins, versus Fister (0-1), who already got beat by the Yankees once in this series. Anything can happen, but I think, to my genuine surprise (I really didn't think the Yankees had any real chance of getting out of this series - we got a chance when, thanks to the rain, Verlander only got one win and we didn't have to count on Garcia winning a decisive game), that the Yankees will be hosting a rematch of last year's ALCS.

If, and again this is still a big if - Fister didn't pitch bad in losing game one - the Yankees do get to the ALCS, the way Burnett pitched tonight, they might have found a new third starter for the rest of the playoffs.

IMHO, if the NYY's manage to win this series, they can thank Granderson's circus catch in the 1st inning of the game. That ball falls in, it's 3 runs, if not 4, Burnett is gone, and the bullpen gets burned through AND the NYY's now have to stage a comeback from a demorilizing hole from the get go. That catch changed everything. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back