Baseball 2011 (3 Viewers)

The story of the Brewers' season: they have either been excellent...or terrible. They seem to switch from one to the other in a heartbeat. When they are good, they are nearly unbeatable. When they are bad, they'd probably lose to a Little League team.

They are rarely bad at home.

The story of the Brewers' season: they have either been excellent...or terrible. They seem to switch from one to the other in a heartbeat. When they are good, they are nearly unbeatable. When they are bad, they'd probably lose to a Little League team.

They are rarely bad at home.
Right you are, Peter. The Brewers had the best home record of any team in baseball at 57-24. 5 games better than anyone else. However, they were under .500 on the road, the only playoff team with such a record. So far they are playing true to form in these playoffs, 2-0 home, 0-2 away. So I guess that means advantage Brewers in game 5.:wink2: -- Al

The TIGERS win!!!! THE TIGERS WIN!!! Oh yeah and they are from the Central ^&grin

Hard to believe they lost. Sometime the better team doesn't always win.

Hard to believe they lost. Sometime the better team doesn't always win.

The better team did win. If you cant win game 5 in your house after coming off a huge game 4 win then i dont think you can call the Yankees the better team.

Sorry, but I'm not even a Yankee fan (I'm a fan of the other team in town) so I can look it pretty dispassionately; the Tigers are a nice little team but man for man they are not the better team. Now, in a five game series anything can happen, and it did but, no, the Tigers are not the better team. Congrats to them and all that.

Sorry, but I'm not even a Yankee fan (I'm a fan of the other team in town) so I can look it pretty dispassionately; the Tigers are a nice little team but man for man they are not the better team. Now, in a five game series anything can happen, and it did but, no, the Tigers are not the better team. Congrats to them and all that.

I might be a little old fashion but in the end the better team is determined by who wins the games. Man for man the Yankees might be better but good thing this is a team sport because Detroit was clearly the better team. 5 or 7 if NY was the better team they should have won.

Time to do a little better research.

Season Batting averages

Detroit NY
1B Cabrera .344 Teixeira .248 Tiger Win
2B Santiago .260 Cano .302 Yankee Win
3B Inge .197 Arod .276 Yankee Win
SS Peralta .299 Jeter .297 Tiger Win
LF Young .274 Gardner .259 Tiger Win
RF Ordonez .255 Swisher .260 Yankee Win
CF Jackson .249 Granderson .262 Yankee Win
C Avila .295 Martin .237 Tiger Win
DH Martinez .330 Posada .235 Tiger Win

Seems pretty close with the edge to the Tigers. I will look up more stats for comparisons to see how good the Yankees are man for man.

Pitching season stats

Verlander 24-5 2.40 ERA Sabathia 19-8 3.00 ERA
Fister 8-1 1.79 Nova 16-4 3.70
Scherzer 15-9 4.43 Garcia 12-8 3.62
Porcello 14-9 4.75 Burnett 11-11 5.15 Edge Tigers

Closers

Valverde 49/49 SV/SVO 2.24 ERA Riveria 44/49 1.91 Could argue either side.

Just saying man for man its closer then you thought.

Like I said earlier, I am disappointed that the NYY's lost the series, but not surprised. Detroit has a good team put together and they won the deciding game in NY, so you have to hand to them. They went and took it. Congratulations to your boys, Joe. The NYY's have no one to blame but themselves, as once again they had lousy situational hitting, leaving 11 men on base. When a team strands 11 men and loses by one run, they have sealed their own fate. I suppose A-Rod is going to hear a lot of critcism for his bad series but there is plenty of blame to spread amongst the hitters as Tex, Martin, and Swisher didn't exactly tear the cover off the ball, either. The pitching was weak, but not fatally so and the bullpen did a great job last night, but that 11 men LOB in a sudden-death game is a killer and tells the tale. Oh well, we NYY fans will now wait for next season. The Texas-Detroit series should be a good one. -- Al

Time to do a little better research.

Season Batting averages

Detroit NY
1B Cabrera .344 Teixeira .248 Tiger Win
2B Santiago .260 Cano .302 Yankee Win
3B Inge .197 Arod .276 Yankee Win
SS Peralta .299 Jeter .297 Tiger Win
LF Young .274 Gardner .259 Tiger Win
RF Ordonez .255 Swisher .260 Yankee Win
CF Jackson .249 Granderson .262 Yankee Win
C Avila .295 Martin .237 Tiger Win
DH Martinez .330 Posada .235 Tiger Win

Seems pretty close with the edge to the Tigers. I will look up more stats for comparisons to see how good the Yankees are man for man.
One cannot look at just the batting averages when evaluating a line-up. It won't give the entire picture.
For example, look at the other big stats, home runs and rbi's for the same line-ups:
Detroit Hr - RBI's - NY Hr - RBI's
Cabrera 30, 105 - Teixeira 39 , 111 - Adv. NYY
Santiago 5 , 30 - Cano 28 , 118 - Adv. NYY
Inge 3 , 23 - A-Rod 16, 62 - Adv. NYY
Peralta 21, 86 - Jeter 6 , 61 - Adv. Detroit
Young 8 , 32 - Gardner 7 , 36 - -- Even--
Ordonez 5 , 32 - Swisher 23 , 85 - Adv. NYY
Jackson 10 , 45 - Granderson 41 , 119 - Adv. NYY
Avila 19 , 82 - Martin 18 , 65 - Adv. Detroit, but close
Martinez 12 , 103 - Posada 14 , 41 - Adv. Detroit

TOTALS 113 , 548 - 193, 801 - Adv. NYY, no contest

So, on paper taken from the regular season stats, NY blows Detroit away. But this is not what happened. A short series, Detroit couples good pitching and some timely hitting, and they win. They get all the credit for beating what was a superior regular season team. Goes to prove, again, that pitching is most important in the post-season and that anything can happen in a short series as oppossed to the regular season. NYY's had their chances but Detroit threw the big pitches when it counted. -- Al

Pitching season stats

Verlander 24-5 2.40 ERA Sabathia 19-8 3.00 ERA
Fister 8-1 1.79 Nova 16-4 3.70
Scherzer 15-9 4.43 Garcia 12-8 3.62
Porcello 14-9 4.75 Burnett 11-11 5.15 Edge Tigers

Closers

Valverde 49/49 SV/SVO 2.24 ERA Riveria 44/49 1.91 Could argue either side.

Just saying man for man its closer then you thought.

Fister's stats with the Mariners have to be factored in, which, when they are, give the edge to the Yankees. Yankees pen is better, overall, than the Tigers'.

Pitching wasn't the problem. The Yankees just didn't hit when they had to whereas the Tigers did. Conversely, the Tigers pitching stopped the Yankees whereas the Yankees' did not. End of story.

Unless the Cards or Phils make it to the WS, this could be a ratings nightmare.

Going into the bottom of the 6th, and it's 1-1. Milwaukee only has 3 hits while their pitching continues to hold off Arizona's pressure. The Brewers need to string some hits together and support their pitching. Been a well played/pitched, low scoring game. My favorite type.^&cool -- Al

Going into the bottom of the 6th, and it's 1-1. Milwaukee only has 3 hits while their pitching continues to hold off Arizona's pressure. The Brewers need to string some hits together and support their pitching. Been a well played/pitched, low scoring game. My favorite type.^&cool -- Al
Working out well in the bottom of the 6th. The catch of Hairston's drive could have demorilized the Brewers, but they followed with a run scoring single, so now we will see if it's the Snakes that get down. -- Al

Congrats to Pete and all Brewer fans. Good luck in the NLCS!

One cannot look at just the batting averages when evaluating a line-up. It won't give the entire picture.
Your right Al. I should have definitely looked up RBIs. Wish I had, that is an astounding difference. There are so many different stats to keep up with in baseball but in the end stats are just numbers not wins and losses. Just glad my Tigs pulled out enough wins.

Congrats to the Brewers. Great 'tough it out' win. -- Al

Phils and Cards treating us to another barn burning, well pitched, 1 run game. THIS is baseball. If the Phillies don't rally in their last at bat, we have a HUGE upset. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back