Baseball 2011 (1 Viewer)

The reality is that with the Yankees or Red Sox, many will watch because they love the teams and want to see them win...many will watch because they HATE those teams and want them to lose.

I don't know of anyone who can muster up enough 'hate' for the Brewers to care. When you've been bad for 30 years, you get more sympathy than loathing.
Now, who could hate Milwaukee, home of Laverne and Shirley? Not me. I think it's neat to have them in the hunt. Truthfully, I will be happy with any of the teams that make the WS. They may not have the sex appeal of the NYY's or Bosox, but those teams can't be in the WS every year (though the NYY have made a valiant effort for about 90 years:D). So I will be watching regardless of who makes it. If I was to climb into the way-back machine, I might like to see a rematch of the 1968 WS between the Tigers and Cards. No Lolich to win 3 games or Flood to misplay that fly ball but I'm sure Verlander and Pujols could provide entertainment. I normally am an AL fan but I do follow the Cards and the Brewers have been a great story, so I might be leaning towards the NL in the WS, but I still am a Nolan Ryan fan, so I'll just wait to see what shakes out before choosing sides here. How's that for non-commital? -- Al

Things getting ugly in the 7th inning in Milwaukee. Cards working on 6 consequtive hits and a 11-2 lead. Looks like the series is going to be tied 1 game all. Texas blew a chance to win in the 9th but got it done in the 11th (walk off GS) and now Detroit in is in deep do-do, down 2 games but at least moving to home field. -- Al

The Brewers still have a shot here, a touchdown, onside kick recovery, a field goal and they're a winner.

NLCS; not exactly four star baseball being played here.............that said, the Cardinals can mash with the best of them, now they're lined up to have their ace go in games 3 and 7 (7 if necessary; if not, he'll be able to start game one of the WS).........

Mr. Pujols for the Cards and Mr. Cruz for Texas ars putting on an entertaining lesson in playoff hitting. Texas have gone thru Verlander and Scherzer, leaving the Tigers in a big hole and Milwaukee has had two of their best pitchers shredded by the Cards, but are in a better position than the Tigers, as their series is 1-1, but now the Brewers have to go on the road, not their comfort zone. It has not been boring. I guess we'll see if Fister can slow down Texas tonight or Verlander's next start may not matter much. -- Al

The Brewers still have a shot here, a touchdown, onside kick recovery, a field goal and they're a winner.

NLCS; not exactly four star baseball being played here.............that said, the Cardinals can mash with the best of them, now they're lined up to have their ace go in games 3 and 7 (7 if necessary; if not, he'll be able to start game one of the WS).........

Well, I think it has been a good series thus far. Milwaukee had a great shot to get back into Game 2 with the bases loaded, but the double-play by Weeks (I think it was) ended their chance. Albert was amazing, but the 1st-inning HR was the first in the post season since 2006! Should be a good game Wednesday with two excellent pitchers.

Noah

I was saying to myself, though, during the Cardinals-Brewers game, "Save some of that offense for tomorrow night, boys..."

I was saying to myself, though, during the Cardinals-Brewers game, "Save some of that offense for tomorrow night, boys..."

True enough. I was saying the same thing while listening at work. Such an offensive output might make for a fun night, but you don't want to spoil the series by having all the hits come in one game....

Noah

True enough. I was saying the same thing while listening at work. Such an offensive output might make for a fun night, but you don't want to spoil the series by having all the hits come in one game....

Noah

No worries there when it comes to the Cardinals, they have a great offense and they've got their ace going tomorrow night, keep pounding away boys, get that home crowd behind you.......

Mr. Pujols for the Cards and Mr. Cruz for Texas ars putting on an entertaining lesson in playoff hitting. Texas have gone thru Verlander and Scherzer, leaving the Tigers in a big hole and Milwaukee has had two of their best pitchers shredded by the Cards, but are in a better position than the Tigers, as their series is 1-1, but now the Brewers have to go on the road, not their comfort zone. It has not been boring. I guess we'll see if Fister can slow down Texas tonight or Verlander's next start may not matter much. -- Al
Seven innings in and Fister is doing the job. If he can hold on, we have a series back in Verlander's hands. -- Al

Glad to see my Tigers were able to grab a game in the series. I was starting to get a little nervous. Hopefully the Tigs can take game 4 and come into game 5 looking good with Verlander. Injuries are starting to take a toll for both squads now.

Glad to see my Tigers were able to grab a game in the series. I was starting to get a little nervous. Hopefully the Tigs can take game 4 and come into game 5 looking good with Verlander. Injuries are starting to take a toll for both squads now.
I am a little surprised that Verlander won't be used on short rest to try and tie the series. Verlander only went 4 innings (82 pitches) on Saturday. He could then be available again on Sunday, if needed, if the series gets to seven games. Using him in game 5 means Detroit is risking a 1-3 game deficit by game 5. Using him in game 5 also means that if Detroit survives to games 6 and 7, that Verlander is basically unavailable. I would think the payoff is worth pushing Verlander on short rest. He is Detroit's best and it is going to be a long off-season if Detroit doesn't get maximum use/benefit out of him to win the AL pennant. Worry about the WS when you get there. I don't think that this is particularly short sighted. Take the chance as it comes and win or lose with your best, otherwise there are always going to be questions if Detroit loses. JMO. -- Al

It's official; Theo to the Cubs as President/GM, twice the salary he was getting here in Boston.

Thanks for bringing not one but two World Series titles to Boston Theo; good luck in Chicago, if you can bring a World Series to that train wreck of a franchise, you'll be a God and a lock for the HOF.............

It's official; Theo to the Cubs as President/GM, twice the salary he was getting here in Boston.

Thanks for bringing not one but two World Series titles to Boston Theo; good luck in Chicago, if you can bring a World Series to that train wreck of a franchise, you'll be a God and a lock for the HOF.............
Francona and Epstein both gone.:eek: Now, to replace them with anyone as good is going to be a big task. Tough to lose the upper management at the same time. -- Al

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting little play in Boston.

I have to admit I'm at a loss for anyone who might be a good replacement for either. I have heard the guys on ESPN bouncing around Bobby Valentine as manager but I'm not sure he is a good fit there. Anyone heard any other suggestions?

Good Luck guys it could be a very painful season next year.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back