Baseball 2011 (3 Viewers)

Phils and Cards treating us to another barn burning, well pitched, 1 run game. THIS is baseball. If the Phillies don't rally in their last at bat, we have a HUGE upset. -- Al
Good Lord, what a great game. Heartbreaking loss for Philly but nothing to be ashamed of. Was about as well pitched game as I have seen or that one can have, on both sides. Congrats to the Cards. -- Al

Well, the two teams you realistically and honestly thought would be playing in the WS will be, like most of us, watching it. That's why these five game series are a bit of a crap shoot. I don't think anyone expected both would be gone.

Can't say I'm disappointed to see the Phillies gone however:D:cool:

The playoffs have been every bit as good as the final weeks of the regular season. All close, good games. All 4 of the clinching games in the playoffs have been 1 run games. It just keeps getting better. All the favorites are now gone. It is all wide open, up for grabs now. I'm thinking, maybe, Milwaukee vs Detroit in the WS. Based strictly on evaluation of the pitching, but it is virtually a toss up for anyone. Bring it on. More great baseball to be played. Tune in and enjoy!^&grin -- Al

Phils and Cards treating us to another barn burning, well pitched, 1 run game. THIS is baseball. If the Phillies don't rally in their last at bat, we have a HUGE upset. -- Al

Upset or not, it is a win for the Cardinals and now they're on to Milwaukee. Just watching the coverage, it does seem like all the Philly fans are a bit stunned though.

What a great series in general for baseball fans! You can't get any better than the pitching dual tonight. Halladay was impressive, but Carpenter was locked-in. Don't know what happened to Howard on the last out, but not nice to see an injury on his last at-bat.

Also, congrats to the Brewers on their win early. However, no props to you, Nyger Morgan. Thanks a lot buddy, for dropping two f-bombs on live TV while I'm watching with my 5-year old. REAL classy.:rolleyes2:

Noah

I have a feeling that this won't be a highly watched series, what with the two teams with the best winning records out.

I'm not sold on the Brewers. However, their having home field in both the LCS and WS (if they get there) is a big advantage. I do think it will be 7 game series.

The other series Rangers - Tigers is a toss up for me.

Upset or not, it is a win for the Cardinals and now they're on to Milwaukee. Just watching the coverage, it does seem like all the Philly fans are a bit stunned though.

What a great series in general for baseball fans! You can't get any better than the pitching dual tonight. Halladay was impressive, but Carpenter was locked-in. Don't know what happened to Howard on the last out, but not nice to see an injury on his last at-bat.

Also, congrats to the Brewers on their win early. However, no props to you, Nyger Morgan. Thanks a lot buddy, for dropping two f-bombs on live TV while I'm watching with my 5-year old. REAL classy.:rolleyes2:

Noah
Hi Noah. Interesting that you mention Morgan's language. He was here in DC with the Nats and was a decent player but one of the reasons he is now gone is because of his behavior. He was a problem child. Management never knew what he was going to do, so, off he was sent. We'll see how long it takes for him to wear out his welcome in Milwaukee. -- Al

I have a feeling that this won't be a highly watched series, what with the two teams with the best winning records out.

I'm not sold on the Brewers. However, their having home field in both the LCS and WS (if they get there) is a big advantage. I do think it will be 7 game series.

The other series Rangers - Tigers is a toss up for me.
Brad, I'm getting the same feeling about the ratings, which is too bad because I think there will be some good baseball played. I don't see any blowout/sweep coming either. Interesting, but all 4 of the remaining teams come from the middle of the country, as it were, as opposed to the east coast or west coast. If, say, Detroit and Milwaukee square off, it will be a VERY local series, (not as local as the Mets vs NYY), but local none the less, with no widespread viewing appeal beyond we baseball fanatics. I don't see any possible pairing setting viewing records. I like all the remaining teams and it should be a good series, whomever gets in. Congratulations to all the semi-finalists. It has been real entertaining. -- Al

Last edited:
One cannot look at just the batting averages when evaluating a line-up. It won't give the entire picture.
Your right Al. I should have definitely looked up RBIs. Wish I had, that is an astounding difference. There are so many different stats to keep up with in baseball but in the end stats are just numbers not wins and losses. Just glad my Tigs pulled out enough wins.
So true, Joe. Numbers don't mean squat, only indicate possibilities. It's the wins that count and the Tigers got those wins. It was a great job by the Tigers in the second half of the season, peaking just when it counts. Should be a good series against Texas with, IMO, the Tigers having the edge because of their pitching. -- Al

Working out well in the bottom of the 6th. The catch of Hairston's drive could have demorilized the Brewers, but they followed with a run scoring single, so now we will see if it's the Snakes that get down. -- Al
I was impressed by the Brewers in game 5. They had to survive two big blows. First was Young's catch off Hairston's drive to center field in the 6th, but as mentioned above, they didn't let it effect them and got the run-scoring single. Then, in the 9th, the Brewers gave up the tying run to send the game to extra innings. They didn't let that get to them either, as they put together the winning rally in the 10th. Credit to both teams for a great game and tough mental attitudes. Now on to the Cards. This is going to be a good series as both teams are playing well. Don't know how this will go. Maybe the Brewers pitching gives them a slight edge, and home field won't hurt either.:wink2: -- Al

Hi Noah. Interesting that you mention Morgan's language. He was here in DC with the Nats and was a decent player but one of the reasons he is now gone is because of his behavior. He was a problem child. Management never knew what he was going to do, so, off he was sent. We'll see how long it takes for him to wear out his welcome in Milwaukee. -- Al

Al, I totally agree. I understand Morgan had just knocked in the series winning RBI and he's excited. I get that. Still, he jumped into the middle Braun's interview with the reporter from TBS and said what he said. Not what I wanted by little girl to hear.

Noah

I gave up on baseball years ago, but what Carpenter did last night was a throwback to the days of Bob Gibson and when baseball was my favorite sport!
Gary

Two great games yesterday, shocked but happy the Cardinals pulled it out.

Playoffs=pitching, pitching, pitching.

Throw all four team names in a hat, pull out one and it would not be a shock who it is that ends up as the WS winner.

As a sidenote, that tv ad was right; Philly is just like a baby New York................

Last edited:
Stayed up late to watch Texas take a 1 game lead, 3-2. There were 2 rain delays. Now, the state of Texas has been in the news all summer about how bad the drought down there is. How bad does luck have to be that rain delays the game twice? It does allow Detroit to bring Verlander back on short rest if it is needed as he didn't come out after the second delay. Texas relief pitching did a fine job on the Tiger hitters, as did the Tiger relief pitching on the Tiger hitters. All the runs were scored off the starters in what turned out to be another 1 run game. I think this will be a close series. Th Brewers-Cards should be a good on too. The press is already playing up the bad blood between them. -- Al

I would venture that LaRussa left Garcia in just a little too long. He sure lost it fast. Been an entertaining game so far, 6-5 Brewers in the bottom of the 5th. -- Al

Wow...that's a lot of runs scored. Fielder and Braun are sure fun to watch!

I think that the Brewers have a distinct advantage in the bullpen and it showed today. We have to get our home games and we pulled it off. Whew!

I wonder how many people outside of Wisconsin and Missouri actually tuned in?

Kinda quiet for the night after a NLCS game!

I watched and enjoyed the game. It had plenty of scoring and momentum shifts. I prefer pitchers duels but it was fun to watch. :) I think your question is going to be a legitimate concern for MLB with these playoffs and World Series now that the Left and Right coasts have been eliminated.:wink2: I will watch them all, though.:cool: -- Al

I watched the game with my father and brother, both devoted Cardinals fans. We were all disappointed. La Russa left Garcia in an inning too long-"Hymie" has had trouble going much farther than that this season. And then the bullpen turned in a characteristic performance in relief. And the bats just aren't there. But, it's only Game 1, so, we'll see what happens.

Prost!
Brad

Last edited:

I tuned in for about 20 seconds as it was in the middle of another Jets debacle.

Although I think yesterday was probably not a fair indication, I do think the ratings will not be good although because the Cards are in it, probably somewhat better than the AL series. However, I do think that if St. Louis is out of the WS, the ratings will not be good. It may draw comparisons to the White Sox Astros WS.

I can't say I'm motivated to watch these teams, no offense.

The reality is that with the Yankees or Red Sox, many will watch because they love the teams and want to see them win...many will watch because they HATE those teams and want them to lose.

I don't know of anyone who can muster up enough 'hate' for the Brewers to care. When you've been bad for 30 years, you get more sympathy than loathing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back