Bored Tonight...Post a Diorama, LOL (1 Viewer)

Fubar,

The pure scale of your work is amazing. Land in Portland must be cheap! LOL, not like here in Southern California.

Again. your figures are very well painted and you might finally get me to venture beyond WWII. Then maybe not, but I still enjoy your work anyway. If I had the budget and the space I'd probably branch out to the ACW.

Panda1gen,

I've enjoyed your work here and in the Treefrog Gallery. I'm very envious of some the KC figures you have. Do you only use JGM for your dioramas or do you use anything else to fill in your scenes?

Carlos

Carlos, No land aint cheap here! About $500,000 an acre.It's just gone through the roof since land ripe for development is scarce anymore here .Kinda like retired KC sets!But , we aint leaving.As a matter of fact, I want to build ANOTHER building on the farm.
Thanks for the kind words. You may find Horse and musket periods hard to resist and I hope you do take up ACW some day.You will find the immense amount of troops available very much to your liking.Your WW2 dioramas look so impressive, I would encourage you to take up another period such as ACW.
I have too many interests to just stick to one period, but I am hopelessly addicted to miniatures.A passion that is one of the things I can still do without too much difficulty so i am jumping in both feet.

Harold
FUBARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

desk11desk12 said:
Fubar,

The pure scale of your work is amazing. Land in Portland must be cheap! LOL, not like here in Southern California.

Again. your figures are very well painted and you might finally get me to venture beyond WWII. Then maybe not, but I still enjoy your work anyway. If I had the budget and the space I'd probably branch out to the ACW.

Panda1gen,

I've enjoyed your work here and in the Treefrog Gallery. I'm very envious of some the KC figures you have. Do you only use JGM for your dioramas or do you use anything else to fill in your scenes?

Carlos

Thanks - some of the sets are on ebay now.

I use old discarded curtain material bought as 3 odd peices mainly, the hedges were off a company that went bust - with some of my money - off ebay.

I tried to photograph them to make them as real as I could because of the quality of the figures, only recently started with JG - excellent.:cool:

Kevin,

Are you saying you're selling some of your dioramas? Under what ebay name?

jazzeum said:
Kevin,

Are you saying you're selling some of your dioramas? Under what ebay name?

Brad

I don't have any dioramas :confused: - I use a bit of off cut curtain material and a few bits and peices of buildings, now mainly JG Miniatures, some old hedge stuff (these are the one's bought from a company off ebay - went bust or something):mad: . On the kitchen table :eek: I set them up, take the pictures and put them away again the same day.:) Don't have room for a display, not like Carlos, Michael etc

Carlos mentioned some of my figures, some like these are on ebay. Anyway, I have nowhere near the collection of Loius, Hans and Larry - others out there with a much better collection as well.

Kevin

Kevin,

It's nice to know -- I guess misery loves company -- that you're not the only one with a space problem.

From what I can tell you have a fine collection. Of course, any collection that each of us has can only pale in comparison with what Louis, Larry or Hans may have.

As I mentioned to Shannon awhile ago, there's Louis' collection and then there's the rest of us :)

Excellent - I love your sdkfz 11 or is it 9?:confused: Make it from some other model?:cool: Great tarpaulin etc :D

Someone ? Anyone? Leadmen, show us a picture of your place where you keep all the treasure.
fubar:p

kids set upapr1.jpg

apr2.jpg

Lots more stuf, defense line is 6 feet wide. Now if we only had a few hundred Ivans to throw at it.

FUBAR:D

These dioramas are begging to be wargamed with, as they are too wonderfully done to just be static displays. At a recent gaming convention, they had a town enviroment set up in 1/32 and opposing Russian vs German figures and armor ( mostly plastic and Britains ). It so reminded me of the days when I was a kid and pushed figures around and used line of sight and ruler with die role to determine wounded and dead. Much of my soldier collecting is actually determined by the idea to game with this stuff, down the road. How did you achieve the trench system. Am thinking of making a scenery board with a couple different enviroments for future display and game purposes ( maybe a flip over concept ,with Warhammer 40K scenery setup on reverse side. )Suddenly, my display shelves are not good enough. My wife should be afraid, very afraid.............Michael

Michael, We do wargame with the 54mm from time to time.Though we have amassed an immense WW2 collection, my boy has more fun just setting it all up.
Here, he had set up a brick wall of defense, some places 3 lines deep of trench, obstacles, pillboxes and gun positions. Certainly a lot of fun to play with, to set up but tedious to game.No surprises.
I also look at the gaming factor when I collect.
WW2 is gameable , scenarios must be limited in size. Initial units hidden on board, random timing of reinforcements ect.
I prefer Horse and musket for gaming though.
Fubar

Attachments

• acwyankart.jpg
    acwyankart.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 221
The Trench is a Formtech WW1 no mans land 5 pice set. Got it from Matt at Hobby Bunker at the OSTN show in 2003.I painted it and have used it for anything from A Pacific Japanese defense and for WW2.
I will usually take it and the Conte pieces from the Atlantic wall set, + some other formtech pieces, pill boxes ect and even put some of the back to back and make a deeper trench system with at least 3 lines of trench with connecting slit trench .
This time it's all set up in a straight line with the HVY MG bunker on a slight rise behind the trench.

My boy had his fun setting it all up and nows he's done with it.I guess I get to put it away.

FUBAR

Attachments

• ww2brits2.jpg
    ww2brits2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 229
History....

1-year ago, I started collecting toy soldiers again for the first time since I was 13 y.o. I wasn't sure about how long was going to stay with this. After all, aren't toy soldiers were for little kids right? LOL

So, I started off with plastic toy soldiers (21st Century, FOV and Conte painted WWII from TSSD), thank you Nick. I'm still collecting FOV but only TSSD painted GI's and Germans plastics.

It wasn't long before I started getting into metal with Conte, Britains and later ONTC. I shouldn't have done that! LOL

I picked up my first KC set (AK13) from Kings X while on vacation at the Alamo in San Antonio, TX in late April 2005 and rest is history.

For your amusement here are my first attempts at dioramas just 3 weeks after started collecting.

Carlos
1.JPG

2.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

DSC00013.JPG

As you can see the clearity is much better. I decided to take the pictures with higher resolution and shrink them to fit the forum's file size requirements.

Carlos

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back