Bored Tonight...Post a Diorama, LOL (2 Viewers)

Firebat said:
Alex

I have a question, I want to start building some buildings. Is there any difference between the Pink or Blue foam insulation, and when you are making the walls the foam in it's original form is a bit thick, do you thin it out or use it as is......"Get Real......Firebat

The Pink foam has an higher insulation value and is said to be stronger than the Blue.
Most model railroaders I know use the pink.
Foam filled poster board is great for making buildings.

Last edited:
I used it for model railroad scenery. Blue & Pink are exactly the same except for the color. The insulating value is due to the thickness. It comes in 1/4", 3/4", 1", and 2" inch thicknesses where I live.

Last edited:
Hey George, that 20mm stuff is awesome! Do you sell the fully made dioramas as depicted, and if so, for how much? Drop me a PM and let me know. I know I don't have the room, but one of those set ups would be hard for me to resist! -Louis

So somebody help out a fellow collector who is suffering from sever brain farts. Is 20mm 1/87 or 1/72?

sceic2 said:
So somebody help out a fellow collector who is suffering from sever brain farts. Is 20mm 1/87 or 1/72?

I was going to ask what size it was also....Just when I am getting myself together as far as scale goes.....here comes another one. And I like the the large scale of the scene. Well if I get out of HO trains, I could use that area to build about 5 - 4X8 dioramas, and have A LOT of money to buy stuff after I sold it all..Hmmmmm....."Get Real" Firebat

Isn't it, the smaller the number the bigger the model?

Last edited:
sceic2 said:

20mm = 1/72
1/87 = HO

There is also 25mm and 28mm which I think is what George has pictured.

Alexdakar said:
20mm = 1/72
1/87 = HO

There is also 25mm and 28mm which I think is what George has pictured.

If 20mm = 1:72, are there equalivilants for 25 and 28mm? Yeah I know, cornfused an't I.

20mm is 1/72nd scale. Sometimes gets mixed in with 1/76th scale. It's similiar to 1/32nd vs 1/35th.

My entire collection is 20mm, 1/72nd scale. All of the figures are metal which I paint and mount on pennies. The vehicles are either plastic model kits or resin kits that I built and painted, or built up Dragon 1/72nd scale vehicles. I've got over 2,000 WWII figures, US, German, British, Russian, Japanese, plus close to 500 vehicles. I've got boatloads of buildings, bunkers, trenches, pillboxes, etc that are either model railroading kits that I built and "kit bashed" or they are resin models used for wargaming that I painted up. Quite a few of the items I have are one of a kind or are out of production and no longer available. For example, the Brandenburg Gate in the photos is no longer available and I've been offered as much as 300.00 for it. I'd never sell it as I would never be able to replace it. I've also got about 2,000 ACW figures and about 2,000 Napoleonics.

20mm is an extremely popular wargaming scale, so there are tons of items available in that scale. I was drawn to 1/72nd scale because as you can see, you can do a lot in a smaller space. I love to set up huge displays and leave them up for weeks at a time and just look at them from all different angles.

Thanks to all of you for the positive feedback; Louis, I'd love to sell you a display, but the problem is most of my scenic pieces are one of a kind and I couldn't sell any of them as I would never be able to replace them. I am currently working on a series of factory buildings that are model railroading kits for a massive Stalingrad display I plan on doing in the future..........

To clarify further, 25mm and 28mm figures are actually 1/48th scale. If any of you guys are near Lancaster PA, from July 20th to the 23rd at the Holiday Inn will be the largest wargaming convention in the United States called Historicon.

There is a huge dealer area consisting of over 300 tables of merchandise. I attend along with the folks from Michigan Toy Soldiers; most of the items sold are 28mm and smaller, but the best part of the show is the non stop wargaming that goes on there from Thursday morning through Sunday morning. Some of the games are visually stunning and there are more and more games going on using 54mm figures.

One of my customers who runs games at the convention uses only K & C figures; this year, he is running a huge Berlin game. Another one of my customers is running a Tarawa game on a 12' by 6' area using K & C Marines and Japanese. I built the famous (or infamous) Tarawa seawall for him as well as several coconut log pillboxes and bunkers. Four years ago there was a huge Arnhem game where the organizer used, you guessed it, K & C British Airborne figures; yep, those incredibly valuable figures were getting knocked around on the tables like bowling pins....................who knew at the time......................

Really nice looking stuff, George. You'd never know you were that talented by looking at you, I was thinking more on lines of "The Godfather". :eek: I'll have to enlist your help and expertise for setting up my room in the basement, get all that K&C, Hound Bound, Build-a-Rama, NMA, etc. out of their boxes and on display. Maybe I'll even spring for lunch, including a bowl of clam chowder.:D

Fred

Great stuf Warrior! You are a very disciplined soul for sticking to the 1/72/20mm after all the time I have known you.I on the other hanb have next to zero discipline and collect , well everything I like in a bewildering array of scales.
Superb stuf! Hats off to you!

Der Fub:D

Nice pictures of the "little guys" Warrior. I look at my painted 1/72 Napoleonics and WWll guys and armor I want to create a diorama. Fubar do you remember 15mm guys? I think you painted a few. Leadmen

Yes John I painted a few. only 5-6,000. Sometimes I wish I still had them.
I want to see your scene of 1/72 when you get them ready.
With all the available 1/72 sets these days and the inexpensive cost, I am so very tempted in building huge Napoleonic armies once again for wargaming. Lack of opponents is really all that holds me back. I'll stick with the 54mm for now.Maybe actually get in a game someday.

Warrior, I have heard that Historicon is the equivelent to OTSN show for wargamers. Maybe I am not too late to get there.OTSN is looking to be a no go for me this year because of a schedule conflict that takes priority over toy soldiers.
I think George has 20mm collections besides WW2. Maybe He'll share them with us.How about it Warrior?
Der Fub

I painted a few 20mm and 25mm but man I don't know if I could ever paint tons of them like George and Fubar.

Here is a 20mm that I painted.

Attachments

• 172p.jpg
    172p.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 283
Alex, Great figure. I am not sure I can do too many 15/20/25mm figures anymore either.Been there, done that .

I'm in a painting slump anyway.

Is that a Pegasus or a Ceasar plastic figure? Theres so many new companies making this scale these days it is truley remarkable.Again, 20mm seems to be a perfect scale for wargaming WW2.
Again, no worthy opponents keeps the temptation from getting the best of me.

fuBaR

Its Pegasus. I know if I ever got into wargaming I would probably go all out and make huge armies.

Here is a comment from Warrior and some more great 20mm shots:

"Here are some shots I took of my Arnhem Collection, specifically action around the Hartenstein Hotel and the Gas Works Plant.........."

Carlos

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back