Bored Tonight...Post a Diorama, LOL (2 Viewers)

Hey Carlos,

Just a heads up in case you don't already know it: That German Tanker in the Camo Jumpsuit with his hands on his hips in front of the marching WS08 is from the matt version of the WS04 Tank crew, which is the rarest of all of the Waffen SS sets. It only appears in one photograph in a 1997 flyer (next to the old resin and metal Jagpanther) and is mentioned in one 1995 price list (as being remodeled, without a price next to it). I only know of three of four of these sets personally.

Regards,

Louis

Toy Soldier Brigade said:
Has anyone come up with any techniques to straighten the bases of Conte foam buildings ? I'm looking at some of the posted Conte church pictures and the bases all seem to be lying flat. My church court yard base is warped. I was considering gluing it down to a a two inch thick piece of foam insulation so it would be easier to get everything to fit together. Any thoughts ?

I asled Ken Olsen the designer and sculptor of these terrific buildings, here

is his reply

"As far as the Conte scenic items...I do not think that they are warping post production. I do know that he used a couple of vendors and it is possible that the parts went out of the factory with a 'rock' to them. In most cases they must be sanded flat after trimming... hope this helps, Ken"

So why not check to see if sanding might solve the problem. I'm glad Ken

feels this is not a post production problem.

Njja

I happened to notice what Louis noticed and this particular set was on ebay very recently ending at $470 or so. I was outbid on it, a fact that I am still not particularly happy about :mad:

Njja said:
I asled Ken Olsen the designer and sculptor of these terrific buildings, here is his reply "As far as the Conte scenic items...I do not think that they are warping post production. I do know that he used a couple of vendors and it is possible that the parts went out of the factory with a 'rock' to them. In most cases they must be sanded flat after trimming... hope this helps, Ken" So why not check to see if sanding might solve the problem. I'm glad Ken feels this is not a post production problem. Njja

I don't know how many else are like me, but I have been a plastic model builder since the about 1957 or 58. I have built hundreds of cars, ships, airplanes, tanks, monsters, and others in my life so far. I save my extra pieces, buy kits for parts, save broken models, get uncompleted kits from friends or my own, and "kit bash" lots of different stuff like models that are not made or variations to existing models. I guess this trend has now extended into toy soldiers. I am not afraid of cutting, sanding, shaping, moving parts, removing pieces, or "kit bashing" even K&C figures or vehicles. In fact, I find metal more forgiving and easier to work than plastic.

I have all of the other Conte' buildings (unfortunately not the church and priory) and I have made some alterations to every one of them. The least I have done is to make the edges straight so that my cobble stone street sections fit up against their edges.

I have had to “true flat” about three of the buildings using a hand sander. It takes time and patience, but if you are careful it can be done very easily. I have had to do the same to some of my JG Miniatures buildings.

I have taken the rear doors off the GMC truck and made them look like they were in the down position for loading or unloading. I have removed the resin windows with a Dremel tool and replace them with clear plastic to simulate a windscreen. I have removed the canvas ribs from the box and added them to the ¾ ton weapons carrier and the DUKW as they had canvas ribs also. I am not afraid of using kit bashing to make changes. And sometimes, manufacturers don’t make things shaped the way they should be and if some things are stored wrong, they warp or change shape over time. Plus, nothing ventured, nothing gained and if you screw it up, buy another one and try again. **** the torpedoes….I, I, mean expense? :) Michael

Thanks for the information. I think sanding is a good idea, but not on the church court yard I have. I would have to take way to much off to stop the rocking.

Louis Badolato said:
Hey Carlos,

Just a heads up in case you don't already know it: That German Tanker in the Camo Jumpsuit with his hands on his hips in front of the marching WS08 is from the matt version of the WS04 Tank crew, which is the rarest of all of the Waffen SS sets. It only appears in one photograph in a 1997 flyer (next to the old resin and metal Jagpanther) and is mentioned in one 1995 price list (as being remodeled, without a price next to it). I only know of three of four of these sets personally.

Regards,

Louis

Dear Louis

Thanks for the info. Here is a pic of the set.

Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_1578a.JPG
    IMG_1578a.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 350
IMAG0003.JPG
I have completed the major parts of the modifications to my large diorama. This is one of several pictures I will be posting as I experiment with the process. Michael.

Wow! That's one amazing formation. VERY nice, to say the least...

Michael: The new diorama you are working on looks very good. I was impressed with your wwll pics and the Napoleonics should make a nice display.I find this thread very interesting in seeing all the creativity that goes into making dioramas. I feel small time just ordered two K&C Napoleonic foot guys for my collection today to send with my AK Grief set. I might be going down a slippery slope that will cause me to lie, smuggle goods and get wrath from my wife. John

IMAG0010.JPG

IMAG0011.JPG

Dragoons attacking the Highlanders as they try to get into a square. Michael

IMAG0012.JPG
Napoleon and his staff at the top left center. Column attack by Grenadiers and Cavalry (Polish Lancers and others) while the 71st Light formed in a square fights off the skirmishers and allows the cavalry through to defend. Michael.
P.S. I will get closer pictures in the future.

IMAG0013.JPG
This is my first K&C modification. The regimental flag is from the Frontline set. Michael.

Does anyone know what is the best method for glueing a Dragoons legs back together. I dropped one and it's in sad shape. Only two legs support the body and super glue may not be strong enough. What a pisser!!!:(

Use Tamiya grey putty. It works great with just a small dab. I recently repaired arms and bayonets and it dries rock hard. Great pics but they need to be larger. There is a new size limitation for jpegs so don't be scared.

panda1gen said:
Michael, nice cliffs, are they JG?

Yes. Eight of them with 12 of the 2 inch raised flats and two of the corners and coves with Woodland Scenics grass frocked on in abundance. Michael.

P.S. Have patience with my computer/camera skills. This is the first series of pictures I have ever taken using a ditial camera and I am trying to format them to fit the requirements of the attachments for the forum. The full sized ones are much better and show much more detail.

Great job Michael! Send us your pics in an email attachment and we'll post them in a larger size for you.
Regards,

Michael it looks great I think? :p I can,t tell the pictures are to small and i can,t make out the detail on anything but i,m glad to see you finally posting some pictures. My computor screen is to small and they look like postage stamps on it. Njja posted some tips on camera set-up and posting pictures on another thread you should read them or ask him for some help. Keep up the good work and keep tring to post some more._____________________________________________TIM

One of these strings was talking about the German Tank Buster Ace Rudel. I had this version of his JU-87 Tankbuster done in the Phillipines several years back, I believe the scheme is around the Kursk operation Citidel.

Attachments

• Rudel at Kursk 3.JPG
    Rudel at Kursk 3.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 292
  • Rudel at Kursk 2.JPG
    Rudel at Kursk 2.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 258
  • Rudel at Kursk.JPG
    Rudel at Kursk.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 263
  • Rudel at Kursk 1.JPG
    Rudel at Kursk 1.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 271
Wow is about all I can say about those Napoleonic Squares! Bigger pics would be better for me but I liked no loved what I saw there!

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back