Chicago Show 2015 (3 Viewers)

Gentle Friends,

I am always reluctant to enter a discussion of this nature. Why? Because I am neither an attorney nor an accountant. However, in this instance, I feel compelled to respond. Firstly, in order to bring some clarity to the discussion, it is important to recognize there is a difference between collecting sales tax and remitting sales tax. Just because a dealer at the show does not charge you sales tax in no way suggests that such taxes are not remitted.

Most of the dealers from whom I make purchases at the show do not collect sales tax. However, there are exceptions. One of my favorite dealers and from whom I make annual purchases at the show, always charges sales tax. This particular dealer is both a very successful attorney and a personal friend. This dealer/attorney always makes certain each "i" is dotted and each "t" is crossed. I know for a fact the dealer reports the sales correctly and remits the appropriate tax to the responsible governmental entities. I pay the sales tax on the item I purchase simply because I do not feel the dealer should absorb a cost for which I am reasonably responsible.

The fact other dealers may choose not to collect the tax is a decision they have made and it should be considered a service to the collector. If, on the other hand, a dealer charges you the appropriate tax, it should be viewed as complying with the law. A person may certainly avoid the dealers who collect the taxes, but it is incorrect and, perhaps, inappropriate to assume the dealer is attempting to "rip off" the collector. In short, the dealers who do not collect the tax are providing an unrecognized benefit to the collector. But, you can be certain that most of the reputable dealers are remitting the appropriate taxes.

My understanding of the situation exactly parallels the explanation provided by Tom.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

Pat, as I stated in a previous post in my 20 plus years attending OTSN one and only one dealer, Conte, ever charged sales tax, or should I say upon purchasing the item he then added on the additional charge and stated it was sales tax. No doubt that dealers absorb what would constitute a sales tax. How they do this is up to them and again I could care less.
Gary

Gary,

If you could care less, why bother to comment. This is a dealer concern, not yours. However, by repeatedly raising it, you have highlighted the issue for any tax officials looking in and caused potential problems for dealers.

Brad

Your right Brad. The IRS in their black helicopters are reading TF,s Forum in search of tax cheats!
Gary

And on to a lighter note!;)

If there is a particular set you want to see in the Treefrog Room just drop me a message and I can tuck one in for you.
We are deciding what to display as we cannot bring it all.....but will have a smattering of various lines for viewing and purchasing!

Julie

If there is a particular set you want to see in the Treefrog Room just drop me a message and I can tuck one in for you.
We are deciding what to display as we cannot bring it all.....but will have a smattering of various lines for viewing and purchasing!

Julie

You have my order Julie^&grin

Just make sure you bring lots of Empire stuff {sm4} (I may be a "little" biased in this comment I know )

Malcolm :salute::

Julie

You could bring it all...................if you had a tractor trailer truck and if you rented 10 more rooms and had 40 tables the day of the show..............you just don't want to bring it all.

And who can blame you..........:wink2:

You could bring it all...................if you had a tractor trailer truck and if you rented 10 more rooms and had 40 tables the day of the show..............you just don't want to bring it all.

What you're trying to say is...we could try to be like Minuteman Toy Soldiers. Who would be nuts enough to do that??

Actually George, we can do the same .... skip the Van and lets go for a 22 wheeler and EMPTY out the shed, your basement and work area ...

Oh ya' ..... you can bring the 237,891 Ospreys ... That way "SUNDAY" will be a hoot!!!!

--- LaRRy

Hi all, as our brethen from the UK take care of us here in the States during London shows so I'll do my best to return the favor and I'll try and post some photos each day I'm there as well as any toy soldier guff that may come up, who knows maybe Figarti will bring something new?? so if anyone has a specific brand, item, company they would like to see let me know and I'll do my best to grab some pics, as well as the Treefrog dinner Sat. nite, but that depends on how the drinks have been flowing that evening :)...Sammy

Hi Guys,

As a newbie (both manufacturer and visitor) to the show and Chicago, can anyone give me a friendly heads up as to how I may enjoy my down time so to speak please?

I come in on Tuesday afternoon and leave on Monday afternoon so, I will have a few days and many nights to find something to do and while away the time with.
Due to other commitments for my wife I am traveling alone so, will be a Brit in a BIG city for the first time, maybe a little lost, most likely a little confused but most definitely looking to have a good time, make friends, meet people and enjoy myself.

I have a huge interest in Blues music, so hope to take in a show or two hopefully. I also (obviously) like military history and have a shopping list from the family that includes cosmetics and Levis {sm4}

Seriously though, any input to make my visit and stay enjoyable would be welcomed.

Thanks in anticipation,

Malcolm. :salute::

Hi Malcolm,
I arrive thursday and leave Monday, happy to intro you to some of the regular guys.
It's a hoot , eat too much, drink too much, spend too much and talk too much.
Amazing how we can put the world's problems to right at the bar.
Shame I can't remember everything in the morning!!
Best
Clive
Hi Guys,

As a newbie (both manufacturer and visitor) to the show and Chicago, can anyone give me a friendly heads up as to how I may enjoy my down time so to speak please?

I come in on Tuesday afternoon and leave on Monday afternoon so, I will have a few days and many nights to find something to do and while away the time with.
Due to other commitments for my wife I am traveling alone so, will be a Brit in a BIG city for the first time, maybe a little lost, most likely a little confused but most definitely looking to have a good time, make friends, meet people and enjoy myself.

I have a huge interest in Blues music, so hope to take in a show or two hopefully. I also (obviously) like military history and have a shopping list from the family that includes cosmetics and Levis {sm4}

Seriously though, any input to make my visit and stay enjoyable would be welcomed.

Thanks in anticipation,

Malcolm. :salute::

Hi Malcolm,
I arrive thursday and leave Monday, happy to intro you to some of the regular guys.
It's a hoot , eat too much, drink too much, spend too much and talk too much.
Amazing how we can put the world's problems to right at the bar.
Shame I can't remember everything in the morning!!
Best
Clive

Thanks Clive, look forward to us catching up, been a while!

Hi all, as our brethen from the UK take care of us here in the States during London shows so I'll do my best to return the favor and I'll try and post some photos each day I'm there as well as any toy soldier guff that may come up, who knows maybe Figarti will bring something new?? so if anyone has a specific brand, item, company they would like to see let me know and I'll do my best to grab some pics, as well as the Treefrog dinner Sat. nite, but that depends on how the drinks have been flowing that evening :)...Sammy

Please, new roman figures,US cavalry,canadian mounties,thanks:salute::

Francisco

so should i expect a 10.25% tax on anything i buy...

I have been to the west coaster...hackensack...black hawk dallas and texas toy soldier show...

I was never asked for tax...

I always assumed the dealer paid the tax...

I have never been asked for tax...

you are not in the city limits of chicago so it would be 6.25%. But having gone to every show since 1995 i have never met anybody charging tax.

hi guys,

as a newbie (both manufacturer and visitor) to the show and chicago, can anyone give me a friendly heads up as to how i may enjoy my down time so to speak please?

I come in on tuesday afternoon and leave on monday afternoon so, i will have a few days and many nights to find something to do and while away the time with.
Due to other commitments for my wife i am traveling alone so, will be a brit in a big city for the first time, maybe a little lost, most likely a little confused but most definitely looking to have a good time, make friends, meet people and enjoy myself.

I have a huge interest in blues music, so hope to take in a show or two hopefully. I also (obviously) like military history and have a shopping list from the family that includes cosmetics and levis {sm4}

seriously though, any input to make my visit and stay enjoyable would be welcomed.

Thanks in anticipation,

malcolm. :salute::

hi malcom, there is a nearby museum in wheaton illinois at cantigny which houses the museum of the "big red one" the ist division of the u.s army which is quite interesting

hi malcom, there is a nearby museum in wheaton illinois at cantigny which houses the museum of the "big red one" the ist division of the u.s army which is quite interesting

A great tank park too.
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back