Chicago Show 2015 (2 Viewers)

Well ... :rolleyes2: .... I suppose they'll do in an emergency. Ya' I forgot that George will probably do 2 - 2 1/2 stacks alone. Better make that 7-8. We want to save room for Julie's 5 dozen bacon wrapped scallops and Travis' beer and cheese. I'm bringing some 4 year old Table-Talk Pies and a case of Twinkies from the last decade. I got them from a TS dealer at a pretty good price ...:rolleyes: ... as long as I promised not to bring any Osprey's to the show.

--- LaRRy

LaRRY, LaRRY, LaRRy . . . . I honestly have no words for a response to this :confused: LOL
How about some Banana Bread? George knows I can bake :D

Julie

I'm bringing some 4 year old Table-Talk Pies and a case of Twinkies from the last decade. I got them from a TS dealer at a pretty good price ...:rolleyes: ... as long as I promised not to bring any Osprey's to the show.

CLASSIC...................LOL........you'd better be careful because if he reads this; oh wait, he still hasn't figured out where the information superhighway is.................he thinks it off of 95 South in New Jersey...........:wink2:

Thought 6 weeks of training in PA was going to interfere this year but luckily it starts a week after the show. Couldn't come any ealier then Friday. Booked until Sunday but I'm sure I'll be out of money by the time the show rolls around.

I'm in!!!!!!!!!!! finally after a few years of trying, just made my reservation Friday the 25, through Sunday the 27th, staying at the Hyatt Place, can anyone give me a heads up on travels from O'hare to the hotel?? the Hyatt Place doesn't have a shuttle service :(...Sammy

Sammy,

The best way is Viatas, a taxi service. Not all that expensive, about $35 each way.

Sammy,

The best way is Viatas, a taxi service. Not all that expensive, about $35 each way.

Thanks Brad, checked with the Hyatt Place and she mentioned All Star cab for about the same thing, look forward to meeting a lot of the regular gang in person, should be a hoot!!! as well as my Ravens playing Tom's evil Steelers that Sunday, hmmmm..feeling a soldier bet coming on ^&grin...Sammy

Just heard from Panzer Ace, (Jason) that he is attending the show as well!!! lots of folk I have talked to for sometime look to be in attendance, can't wait!!!...Sammy

Just bought my plane tickets! This will be my first Chicago show! Sept. 24th cant get here soon enough!

Travis

I just ordered my tickets to the dinner.

so should I expect a 10.25% tax on anything I buy...

I have been to the West Coaster...Hackensack...Black Hawk Dallas and Texas Toy Soldier Show...

I was never asked for tax...

I always assumed the dealer paid the tax...

I have never been asked for tax...

Any Dealer at a show charging Tax is pulling a fast one on the customers. Avoid them and Maybe........they will get the hint ! As we all know Shops are different.

Never paid tax? I'm surprised as i always expect to and usually do, especially to the dealers. Am i right that the tax doesn't have to be paid on used items as it's already been paid once?

Bosun al

Any Dealer at a show charging Tax is pulling a fast one on the customers. Avoid them and Maybe........they will get the hint ! As we all know Shops are different.

Actually, no they are not, no fast one at all involved. They are required to charge tax at most shows and out of state they obtain a vendors permit and that is usually tied to the collection of tax. Most dealers will self remit which means they eat the tax on behalf of the consumer and they will self report a total sales at the end of the show, then remit that tax to the respective State. Not sure where you are getting your information, but I can guarantee you this is the law. It is not to say that every dealer complies with the law and I am passing ZERO judgement on that b/c I don't really agree with the tax when it is out of State goods being delivered to another out of State consumer (in most cases), the State is simply the common venue. Again, though, you should check your tax laws before making the above blanket and highly incorrect statement.

Tom

Actually, no they are not, no fast one at all involved. They are required to charge tax at most shows and out of state they obtain a vendors permit and that is usually tied to the collection of tax. Most dealers will self remit which means they eat the tax on behalf of the consumer and they will self report a total sales at the end of the show, then remit that tax to the respective State. Not sure where you are getting your information, but I can guarantee you this is the law. It is not to say that every dealer complies with the law and I am passing ZERO judgement on that b/c I don't really agree with the tax when it is out of State goods being delivered to another out of State consumer (in most cases), the State is simply the common venue. Again, though, you should check your tax laws before making the above blanket and highly incorrect statement.

Tom

99% 0f Dealers That I have ever run into at a show never mention the word....Tax....Never Mind eating it ?

I bet they say the word tax to the state agent when he comes around looking for their sales tax certificates. In NJ if you can't produce it, pack your stuff and go home.

I bet they say the word tax to the state agent when he comes around looking for their sales tax certificates. In NJ if you can't produce it, pack your stuff and go home.

Paul, exactly! As a matter of fact, I remember a time in NJ, when there was a mad rush to pack up and leave by the back door when the Revenue agents came calling. Looked like moonshiners running for the hills from the still!

TD

99% 0f Dealers That I have ever run into at a show never mention the word....Tax....Never Mind eating it ?

Again, I encourage you to understand the sales and use tax laws. They are out there and in certain jurisdictions they are heavily enforced. The agents also have the right to fully confiscate all property at a show where they find a violation of these laws. They usually will fine the dealer, but they have the right to confiscate the entire inventory. New Jersey and Pennsylvania are very strict in these matters. SO, just because a dealer isn't talking to you about it, be assured that most of them are remitting sales tax after every show.

Additionally, in most States where there is a Use law, consumers are required by law to pay use tax on new purchases that they buy or bring in from out of State. I imagine most of those forms at the Revenue offices have a thick coating of dust on them.

TD

Tom there is no doubt you know what you are talking about in regards to the law. But, and I don't care one bit, how many dealers at these shows are going to accurately report their sales?
What about this scenerio. In the lobby of the Hyatt I sell you a K&C set for $200, I paid $100 10 years ago for it. Am I liable tax wise on the $100 I made? I would suspect I am. Am I going to list it on my income tax form at the end of the year? You be the judge.
Gary

Gary,

The difference between what you and Tom do in your hypothetical example and what a dealer may do is that you are not a dealer and not engaging in a business that would constitute you're being classified as a dealer.

As to whether a dealer is accurate in what he or she reports to the applicable taxing authorities, that is the dealer's obligations, not yours, not mine.

Brad

Tom there is no doubt you know what you are talking about in regards to the law. But, and I don't care one bit, how many dealers at these shows are going to accurately report their sales?
What about this scenerio. In the lobby of the Hyatt I sell you a K&C set for $200, I paid $100 10 years ago for it. Am I liable tax wise on the $100 I made? I would suspect I am. Am I going to list it on my income tax form at the end of the year? You be the judge.
Gary

Hi Gary,

not to beat the proverbial horse, I don't disagree with your thoughts. My responses were mainly directed at the blanket statement of all dealers and the insinuation that those that collect tax are charlatans. Private sales and hobby sales are an entirely different manner and I don't think anyone is coming after you for the $100 in sales!! Ironically though in NJ and PA, anyone who puts out a table is liable, that is the way those States handle it. They will give you a 1 day sellers permit and expect you to self report your sales. As to full scale dealers, again, not being their CPA, but I do know from talking to a few they simply self report and "eat" the taxes on behalf of the consumer and consider it a business cost. Therefore they are selling you an item inclusive of tax. As to what they report, as Brad said, that is up to them! I think the whole idea as I stated before is ridiculous, but unfortunately it is the law of the land. Just look at Amazon now, they will be collecting tax in nearly every STate that has a sales tax going forward. Everyone wants their slice fo the economic pie, especially States/localities as Sales/USe tax is a large revenue generator!

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back