Conte's Rome at War (2 Viewers)

There was another figure that Conte previewed around the same time, and it has yet to be released. Maybe you saw the pic too......it was a Viking w/ one foot on the ground and the other foot on the first rung of a ladder. He was holding his sword or axe high above his head and doing and shouting back to his cohorts, I imagine summoning them to advance, as he prepares to be the first over the wall.
\

Joe...

I love it when a figure tells a story like the one you described on the ladder...sounds like a great design and a great sculpt...I would love to see it if you can find it...Joe Quintini might be able to track it down...or Joe Baker...

the Viking with the sword and axe is "also" one of my favorite figures...his eyes are so piercingly strong coupled with his furrowed brow...he does look battle tested and ready for more...he looks like he is squared off against 3 opponents at once...a nice little story...a great figure...

This Viking has Mr. Ortiz written all over it, and it's one of my absolute favorite Conte figures. I remember when I first saw an unpainted preview pic of this pose on Conte's website long ago, and I thought I just maybe saw the perfect Viking figure. I agree Mike, this is one fierce looking bastard! I too love the detail on the Valhalla Awaits Viking range when compared to Conte's earlier Vikings, which were also very nice. There's some real fine detailed sculpting to the axe itself. There was another figure that Conte previewed around the same time, and it has yet to be released. Maybe you saw the pic too......it was a Viking w/ one foot on the ground and the other foot on the first rung of a ladder. He was holding his sword or axe high above his head and doing and shouting back to his cohorts, I imagine summoning them to advance, as he prepares to be the first over the wall. I think the ladder was leaned up against the Saxon church actually, a foam piece I would have loved to have. Anyways, maybe there's a pic of this figure in Conte's archives. But back to the fierce bastard :tongue:...I think you most certainly could use him as a barbarian. He would fit right in, and I bet the barbarians would be glad to have him!

Thought I do some hunting an found this which features the Viking you spoke about with his foot on the ladder shouting back to his cohorts....The Lt.

churchside.jpg

\

Joe...

I love it when a figure tells a story like the one you described on the ladder...sounds like a great design and a great sculpt...I would love to see it if you can find it...Joe Quintini might be able to track it down...or Joe Baker...

the Viking with the sword and axe is "also" one of my favorite figures...his eyes are so piercingly strong coupled with his furrowed brow...he does look battle tested and ready for more...he looks like he is squared off against 3 opponents at once...a nice little story...a great figure...

valclimb3faceS.jpg

These are pictures of the paint masters. I took these photos in June of 2010 when I visited the Contes in North Carolina. They're impatiently waiting their turn in the production schedule.

valclimb2S.jpg

valclimb3anchormanS.jpg

I have all of the Pirates by Conte and know for a fact Robert also did most of these. He also did all of the Mel Gibson figures for the Patriot series and it is my understanding that he also did the best Troiani sets .I don't buy much Civil War but I think he did most of the personalities like Lee, Chamberlain, Custer and others?

That's interesting because the pirates were one of the first releases in metal from Conte. I thought they were done by the company Robert worked for, because they don't look like Ken's work, but I wasn't sure if Robert worked on them. It's also interesting about the Patriot sets. I had never associated them with Robert, but they do have the feel of his stuff. As for the Troiani sets, he did the best of them - First at Manassas - but I'm not sure if he contributed to High Water Mark or Southern Cross or Lions of the Round Top. He did the Chamberlain figure and the Armisted and Lee Indomitable early on in the time he worked full time for Conte. I'm pretty sure he did the Rocco Rorke's Drift sets. How I forgot the BOSS sets, I don't know...they are his masterpieces in many ways, though I sure wish they were a little smaller and blended better with the other GIS.
When you start thinking about it, it's a pretty impressive body of work. Bigger than I knew if it goes all the way back to the beginning with the pirates.

Where can I get that Saxon church? Has it been produced and I missed it, like the warlord tower or has it never been released?

I had not been tracking this thread (I've been out of town). Sorry that the discussion was allowed to be threadjacked and taken down a battle-scarred hill.

Now...back to Conte conversation...

That's interesting because the pirates were one of the first releases in metal from Conte. I thought they were done by the company Robert worked for, because they don't look like Ken's work, but I wasn't sure if Robert worked on them. It's also interesting about the Patriot sets. I had never associated them with Robert, but they do have the feel of his stuff. As for the Troiani sets, he did the best of them - First at Manassas - but I'm not sure if he contributed to High Water Mark or Southern Cross or Lions of the Round Top. He did the Chamberlain figure and the Armisted and Lee Indomitable early on in the time he worked full time for Conte. I'm pretty sure he did the Rocco Rorke's Drift sets. How I forgot the BOSS sets, I don't know...they are his masterpieces in many ways, though I sure wish they were a little smaller and blended better with the other GIS.
When you start thinking about it, it's a pretty impressive body of work. Bigger than I knew if it goes all the way back to the beginning with the pirates.

Hi Joe
I called Conte today and asked bout Ortiz. Guy who aswered phone wasn't too knowledgeable but said he's pass our questions along to Mr. C.
I shall report back if I hear anything. I am pretty certain Ortiz even did some of the very early plastic Zulu War figures and some of the Normans as well.

I had not been tracking this thread (I've been out of town). Sorry that the discussion was allowed to be threadjacked and taken down a battle-scarred hill.

Now...back to Conte conversation...

Thank you Peter. An thanks Joe for providing the painted metal proto-types of the Vikings they sure look great in living color......The Lt.

Thought I do some hunting an found this which features the Viking you spoke about with his foot on the ladder shouting back to his cohorts....The Lt.

churchside.jpg

Thanks Lt! That's one of the exact shots I was looking for. What an amazing array of attacking Vikings. Thanks for finding the pic and posting it. Do you know if there are plans to releases these figures and the Saxon church? How I would love a new Conte playset!

valclimb3faceS.jpg

These are pictures of the paint masters. I took these photos in June of 2010 when I visited the Contes in North Carolina. They're impatiently waiting their turn in the production schedule.

valclimb2S.jpg

valclimb3anchormanS.jpg

WOW!! Thanks Joe! I've never seen these figures painted. They look fantastic, and I am more hopeful than ever for their release, Saxon church and all! Well it's good news to hear that these are the paint masters.....perhaps another round of Vikings are in the works? Thank you for sharing the pics. I'm would really love to someday add these figures to my Conte Viking collection. I'm still looking forward to the possibility of a playset that would include these guys and the Saxon church as well. Great stuff!

While I don't collect Vikings anymore I would have to get this a a small stand alone vignette.I remember this photo from before but I thought they were going to be plastic only.
Mark

WOW!! Thanks Joe! I've never seen these figures painted. They look fantastic, and I am more hopeful than ever for their release, Saxon church and all! Well it's good news to hear that these are the paint masters.....perhaps another round of Vikings are in the works? Thank you for sharing the pics. I'm would really love to someday add these figures to my Conte Viking collection. I'm still looking forward to the possibility of a playset that would include these guys and the Saxon church as well. Great stuff!

It will be interesting to see how things progress. The Saxon Church was deep in the process...two samples having been made and sent for approval, when the relationship with that factory ended. About the same time, the recession hit and Conte sort of turtled up for a couple of years. In that couple of years his passion got stirred up for the Zulu Wars, the Northwest Frontier and now the Romans. He had a whole Castle, siege engines, Norman defenders, and Viking Assaulters like these ready to go to the factory. Now we'll see how long it will be until they reach the front of the line. He also has a whole ton of Foreign Legion sculpted and ready...but everything has to come in its time and in the meanwhile new visions have captured his attention. Sometimes I wish he could do things half way...but once he gets into a theme his creativity kicks in and he rides the wave how ever far it takes him and Rome has him excited... and Round two of the Northwest Frontier is beckoning, I think, since he got his hands on the first factory samples of the Highlanders.
We'll see...

It will be interesting to see how things progress. The Saxon Church was deep in the process...two samples having been made and sent for approval, when the relationship with that factory ended. About the same time, the recession hit and Conte sort of turtled up for a couple of years. In that couple of years his passion got stirred up for the Zulu Wars, the Northwest Frontier and now the Romans. He had a whole Castle, siege engines, Norman defenders, and Viking Assaulters like these ready to go to the factory. Now we'll see how long it will be until they reach the front of the line. He also has a whole ton of Foreign Legion sculpted and ready...but everything has to come in its time and in the meanwhile new visions have captured his attention. Sometimes I wish he could do things half way...but once he gets into a theme his creativity kicks in and he rides the wave how ever far it takes him and Rome has him excited... and Round two of the Northwest Frontier is beckoning, I think, since he got his hands on the first factory samples of the Highlanders.
We'll see...

Well hopefully after RC rides in the waves of his current passions & focus, he'll have an attention shift and consider revisiting the Vikings and Spartans/Persians too. He has so many great sounding AG sets planned.....hopefully their time will come too. I'll hang in there and wait for these things. I have plenty to keep me busy in the meantime! But I'd buy the castle you describe w/ all the accessories, Norman defenders and Viking attackers today if it were available along w/ that Saxon church. Bring back those playsets RC! Those were great times, weren't they? Besides, my Vikings need a new village to raid! They've been at sea for far too long.

I'll be adding some of Conte's new Romans to my collection. The only problem I have is the "Lion Headed Shield"... It looks more Greek than Roman... Can anyone verify this shield cause I can't...

Andy...I was doing a Google search on Roman shields and found this one...looks like Conte was spot on in their research and replication...

a really nice reproduction...very cool...

Attachments

• 7_28_2011_18.jpg
    7_28_2011_18.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 273
  • is.jpg
    is.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 270
The Republican scutumThe Greek writer Polybius described the early scutum in his Histories:

The Roman panoply consists firstly of a shield (scutum), the convex surface of which measures two and a half feet in width and four feet in length, the thickness at the rim being a palm's breadth. It is made of two planks glued together, the outer surface being then covered first with canvas and then with calf-skin. Its upper and lower rims are strengthened by an iron edging which protects it from descending blows and from injury when rested on the ground. It also has an iron boss (umbo) fixed to it which turns aside the most formidable blows of stones, pikes, and heavy missiles in general.

In the picture of the Conte Barbarian set...

you can see the inside of the wooden shield splintering...

Attachments

• 7_28_2011_33.jpg
    7_28_2011_33.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 220px-Scutum_1.jpg
    220px-Scutum_1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 186
This is a particularly creative and well engineered piece, Michael...not just attractive aesthetically, but clever in its practical design. We don't hear enough of some of the great new releases from Conte. Thanks for bringing this one to our attention.

-Nicholas

In the picture of the Conte Barbarian set...

you can see the inside of the wooden shield splintering...

A litle twist in Rome at War a what if mixing a little Conte old with new to play with.....The Lt.

1010-4.jpg

Great shot! Reminds me of "Deadliest Warrior".

A litle twist in Rome at War a what if mixing a little Conte old with new to play with.....The Lt.

1010-4.jpg

I like that picture Joe and very likely that something similar to that action did take place during Romes visit to the African continent:wink2:

Great picture to start my week:salute::

Cheers

Martyn:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back