Cool 80's Movies (1 Viewer)

Here's 10 I really liked, my clear favorite being 'Blade Runner', but the others in no particular order after BR: Aliens, The Shining, The Terminator, Scarface, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Raging Bull, Escape From New York, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off. There were also a couple of Mad Max movies done in the 80's. -- Al

Here's 10 I really liked, my clear favorite being 'Blade Runner', but the others in no particular order after BR: Aliens, The Shining, The Terminator, Scarface, Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Raging Bull, Escape From New York, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off. There were also a couple of Mad Max movies done in the 80's. -- Al

Some real classic's there AL, yeah the first Mad Max movie came out in 79, with Mad Max 2 in 1982 & Mad Max 3 in 1985. I remember seeing Mad Max to at the movies with a group of mates, knowing nothing about it......for a teenage lad it was magic stuff for it's day!

......and then there was Rambo, First Blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1FoOWceJmE

Flying High or Airplane as it was known in the US.

That movie rocked!

Here's a bit of a sleeper, The Year of Living Dangerously:

The movie was criticized for focusing so much on the Western characters, rather than the misery or suffering of the Indonesians. However, that's kind of the way that said Westerners process tumult in a country where the proverbial wheels are coming off. You experience what's going on, but you're really not part of it, either. You're detached. You play your role, you do your job, and you get the hell out. Everything else, you leave to the missionaries. Definitely worth seeing...if you missed it 30 years ago!:cool:

-Moe

The movie was criticized for focusing so much on the Western characters, rather than the misery or suffering of the Indonesians. However, that's kind of the way that said Westerners process tumult in a country where the proverbial wheels are coming off. You experience what's going on, but you're really not part of it, either. You're detached. You play your role, you do your job, and you get the hell out. Everything else, you leave to the missionaries. Definitely worth seeing...if you missed it 30 years ago!:cool:

-Moe
Haven't seen it since it came out. I remember liking it, so I should try and see it again. Specifically remember Linda Hunt's performance. -- Al

-Moe

Great movie, it inspired me fly to the Philippines in 1986 to experience the revolution for myself at 30 yrs. old...but that's another story.

Carlos

And who can forget that oh so famous line...KHAAAAAAN!...screamed in anguish by the famous thespian William Shatner, from 1982's 'Wrath of Khan'? :wink2:^&grin -- Al

I had forgotten just how many good films came out of the 80's. Here are a few more:
The Big Red One
Empire of the Sun
Aliens
The Beast
Triumph of the Spirit
Farewell to the King
The Killing Fields
Breaker Morant
Ran
Kagemusha
Hamburger Hill
Das Boot
-- Al

Looking at these lists, maybe the '80s was THE decade for movies? Have to re-watch The Year Of Living Dangerously. Always liked that one. Chris
WOuld add, in my preference:
The SHinning
Blues Bros
9 to 5 (chick flick but a good one)
Caddy Shack

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back