"DEGUELLO!" The Fall of the Alamo (2 Viewers)

That's what makes the Alamo fun, so much is unknown or at least can't be proven. We had survivors of the battle from both within and outside the Alamo, but just about everyone doubt's their accounts of what happened. Usually history is written by the winners, but in this case the history is more conjecture then anything else.

Hahaha! I just don't take some of the Bull about some historical events for granted. I've read more than most outside the "hobby" about the Alamo but the event is an American icon from which one can take lessons about bravery and freedom. Yes the Texans wanted to bring slavery in and grab land from the Mexicans and Indians. Some of the heroes were pirates and rascals hiding out in Texas. But it still makes a great story. Even folks not from Texas or the US of A like the story.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your diorama.

I had to LMAO ! I am a big fan of the Alamo John Wayne movie starring Richard Widmark as Jim Bowie. I dated Jim Bowies' great great great great great grand niece or daughter. She wasn't sure but she sure was cute.
She did not know who Jim was either but she had heard of him. I showed her the movie. She had not seen it either. She had heard of the Bowie knife.;)

This looks excellent mate,i think it'll be another classic from the house of Reb.I look forward to watching this grow.

Rob

Here you go guys the first chapter

A cold dawn broke on March 6th 1836. After 12 days of seige Antonio Lopez de Santa Anna launched his final assault on the old Franciscan missionary known as The Alamo. The air was suddenly full of bugle calls and cries of "Viva Santa Anna" and "Arriba" as four columns of Mexican Troops began their attack on the mission walls.

The men defending the mission, awaken by the noise, rushed to their positions. The Mexican Fourth Column commanded by Colonel Juan Morales had been given the task of assaulting the South Eastern palisade and they were about to meet their match.

DSC00161.jpg

For this section was defended by the Tennessee Mounted Volunteers commanded by Capt William B Harrison. Amongst their ranks was one David Crockett who had been assigned this position by Travis believing it to be the most vulnerable part of his command.
The walls were now alive with musket and cannon fire with every man having four or five guns stacked beside him whilst others below the ramparts re-loaded and passed them up to the firing line who laid a continuous blistering barrage down upon the attackers.

DSC00168-1.jpg

The cazadores of the Fourth Column found the fire unbearable with the "weak" palisade proving anything but. With cannon firing grape and scrap iron into their ranks the Mexican soldados assumed the instinctive "head to the wind" posture of men under fire.

DSC00164.jpg

The withering hail of fire from the Tennesseans guns proved inpenetrable and the Mexicans were forced to move west away from the intense murderous barrage leaving their dead and wounded where they lay

DSC00171.jpg

As the attack faltered Dolph Ward an immigrant Texan standing next to Crockett said
"Well Colonel, we sure sent them skedaddling"
Crockett still watching the fleeing army retorted with a wry smile
"Yup! I kinda kepta grinning at 'em. I figgered ifn I did just that- well they mighten just run away- like I useda grin at them politickans in Washington and they sure did run-
Guess it works on Mexies as well."

DSC00193.jpg

Crockett and Ward's light banter was suddenly interrupted by George Taylor the youngest of three Tennessee brothers who leaping off the gun rampart shouted
"My God, Davy, the Mexicans are inside our walls!"

DSC00062.jpg

At the north end of the compound the wall had been breached by Gen's Castillon and Cos's First and Second Columns and were now advancing towards the chapel area.

DSC00009.jpg

The column was led by Colonel De Le Pena and somewhere behind him he heard the martial bands begin to play Deguello!-the fire and death call that signalled total destruction. Del Le Pena would record after the battle that the call "inspired us to scorn life and embrace death" He called out to his troops
"Los hombres-no tienen los presos. Matar a todos"

DSC00011.jpg

His men needed no further orders- No prisoners and slaughter them all- they were now determined to finish off all these Americano insurgents. As the Texans who had valiantly defended the north wall fell back the stragglers and wounded were systematically shot and bayoneted to death.

DSC00029.jpg

Whether news reached Crockett that Travis was dead is not known but with the enemy within Crockett now knew he and his men were in a desperate situation.
Likewise Ward-whose 32nd birthday had dawned this very morning-knew without the palisade between them and the enemy the odds were now lethally stacked against them. As he went to leap off the rampart he wryly referred to Crockett's earlier comment
"Colonel! I sure hope to hell you keep grinning"

DSC00142.jpg

Bob

These have to be the best diorama action photo scenes I have ever seen on any forum. You continue to impress and wow your audience. You missed your calling. You should have worked for the cinema,

Randy

Absolutely brilliant Bob. I just love it all. Kudos!

Mike

Hi Bob,

As usual, you have provided a stunning series of diorama photos that tell the story of a famous battle. Your skill in building dioramas, photographing them, and narrating the story that accompanies them is truly a gift. Thank you for sharing your gift with us. Your work provides us with a very special treat.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat :)

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was already about to dip my feet into a few Alamo figures after seeing many of the other fine dioramas forum members have put together, but you have clinched it!!!! This is very fine work. Just spectacular. And your photos are always so well done. Can't wait to see more.

Is there any possibility, what with this excellent dio of superior quality, that the Texicans will win this time? This is a superb job and looks about as real as can be. -- lancer

Absolutely stunning Bob,what can i say.You are without doubt the best diorama producer i have ever seen.The depictions you create are so life like,so full of agony and the heat of action.I don' know how you do it but you bring to life human suffering through toy soldiers,and that is some skill.Every time i look at a dio of yours it makes me want to learn more on the subject.

If next year i visit the Alamo, i shall be sending you the bill mate!;)

Rob

There's not must I can say Reb that hasn't already been said. It's another winner in photos and story telling............The Lt.

My "Arse-Hole" comment is that it was dark at the time of the attack. Can you simulate "dark" with indirect lighting or filters?
BTW beautiful figures, setting and photos. I "saved" some of your photos.

Great stuff, but I want to see how he breaks the arms off his Crockett and repositions them, to swing his rifle at the Mexicans..:D Also, his Crockett looks nothing like John Wayne. Rivet counting, speaking, he is missing the bandanna around his neck...Otherwise, all is great..:p Michael

Some of us like the Billy Bob Thornton Davy portayed in this figure. ;)

Bob, your love, passion and work for this hobby is rare excellence of production and execution. They are works of art and superb workmanship. Simply exquisite!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back