Fancy a Knight out in Agincourt? (1 Viewer)

I thought that I would try and show how my latest two knights compared with the straight examples of the Knights of Agincourt - by placing the original (though repainted) figures behind the newer converted ones.

The left pair shows the original figure with sword in hand and a smaller plume on his helm. The newer figure has the arm replaced with couched lance - and ( on the other side) a replaced complete sword in scabbard - instead of the original empty one.

Similarly - the right hand pair shows the original head at the rear - whilst the front figure has the new basinet style head and visor. I found original spare parts for the horse tail and front leg - which are made for repairs - so now look indistiguishable from the original.

The Herald is just for fun - and is announcing that the joust may commence!:D

My next re-paint of one of "The Knights of Agincourt", is one that also involved a slight conversion of the figure. I am therefore showing him alongside one I made up earlier of the figure, without any modification (other than painting, of course).

To the forefront of both pics shown below, is Sir John Cornwall ( c.1364 - 1443) - a veteran of Agincourt - whilst at the rear is Sir Gilbert de Clare (c.1300).

A couple of modifications to Sir John firstly. I substituted the original mace ( as in Sir Gilbert de Clare's hand at the rear) with a "Morning Star" A similar, though much nastier looking weapon, studded with spikes). As this particular casting turned out to have somewhat shortened stubs at the two rear hooves (that fix into holes in the base) - and the front two were suspended in the air, I was unable to fix them solidly to the base with epoxy resin glue. I therefore devised a third anchorage for one of the airborne hooves with a length of wire drilled and pinned to hoof and base - and then disguised it as a piece of foliage ( using milliput). Many fans of other TS marques may recognise this device - and is a first for me to try - but seems to work very well. I also replaced his original sword with a two-handed weapon, just by way of variation, as the pose is so similar to the original. ( Both sword and Morning Star came from Langley Miniatures - who sell a small castings pack of Medieval weapons at a very reasonable price - and are excellent for small conversions like this - so highly recommended to anyone else thinking of having a go!).

My re-paint again followed the example made by John Braithwaite, seen before in Peter Greenhil's book - that was mentioned earlier in the thread ( Fig.8.1, page 144). The heraldic details are as accurate as I can make them, though I made my horse a bay - by way of variation, just because I don't want every horse in my Medieval cabinet to look the same.:D

This is the last of my mounted figures for this time - but I have already ordered a "Fighting Double" pair of figures to convert - as well as a Joan of Arc conversion of another figure in this range - so look out for those later, once I collect my next order. jb

Just one last figure to add to this thread for this time. He's shown at the front - and was originally a Britain's Squire, originally produced from 1933, stood next to the Royal Herald. My young Squire would originally have been holding a banner in his right hand hand - but lost that and the arm somewhere along his past. I restored his right arm by finding a spare in Dorset Soldiers' Shop that would fit to his hip (with a bit of coaxing). He is wearing quartered costume and a white Cope on his shoulders - as he would have originally when made by Britains - though I have changed paint colours a bit to brighten him up.

As a background - the melee, which would have preceded a tournament, is taking place, involving some of my recently produced Knights.

I felt for quite a while, that my "Agincourt" knights were taking all of the glory ( see one at the rear) - whereas, some of the real heroes of the battle, were unrepresented in my little collection. So, on my last visit to Dorset Soldiers Shop - I asked Giles if he had any castings of longbowmen. And this is what he came up with.

These archers were designed by Graham Mollard - of GNM Miniatures - and can be supplied as castings. Rather nice, true 54mm figures, featuring archers at various stages of shooting off their deadly arrows from longbows. Various different heads are available - and the castings can be varied to show different stages of shooting. I also added a few extra weapons to the first archer's belt ( hatchet and knife) - and with different painting, quite a small band of different archers could be achieved. Note that my second and third archers are basically the same casting - but show two different head options - and drawing back the bow - whilst the other has just loosed his arrow. With some different painting - I could easily have a small band of these. jb

I have a couple more Medieval Soldiers to add to this thread today - though not strictly Agincourt knights. Maybe a better title might have been " Soldiers of the 100 Years War" . However, I have included them here - as they seem to fit in with my others.

My first new mounted figure is one that I have been searching out for quite some time. I have seen a few castings of her that I quite liked - but as soon as I found this one - I knew this was the one I wanted. She is, of course, The Maid of Orleons - St. Joan of Arc. Here are two views of her below, carrying her famed "Jhesus et Maria" banner. I liked this figure, mainly because it is based on the wonderful "Banner Horse" sculpted by Roy Selwyn Smith. I made my banner up from scratch - using a piece of copper rod - and some thin metal sheet. As the actual banner never survived, I have based it on a Freddie Ping version that I have seen - who also used the same horse sculpt for his version. Note that the banner staff is still unpainted below the hand - as I will finally paint and mount it permanently - once I get her safely back to France. (two views below). I have dated her to 1429 - when she carried this banner at the siege of Orleons.

Front view

Rear view

My second figure is another favourite of mine - and is based on another original original figure by Roy Selwyn Smith = again using the same horse. He is Sir William de Thorpe, seen here carrying the Banner of Sir William de Bohun, Erle of Northampton, who commanded the Second Battle (left Wing) at the Battle of Crecy in 1346. Roy painted several versions of this figure - and this is my own take on him - using the famous "Bumble-Bee" caparisoned horse and rider figure. (I have yet to finalise the other side to this figure - by mounting his sword and finish some tiny paint details - so another pic tomorrow - of the other side). jb

These knights really showcase your skill, JB. I especially like St. Jean! I may even make the picture my desktop background!

Hi JB,

just saw yr Joan of Arc. Beyoncetiful! You sweated over the fleur-de-lys, didn't you?...:)

Rgds V

Hi Sandor - thank you for the compliment - glad you like St. Jeanne ( or Jehanne) - as she was Christened by her parents. Her name used in her lifetime, was apparently Jehanne La Pucelle ( Joan the Maid - in English). Just to let you know - I am in the process of re-painting her horse's hooves a lighter shade. I decided rather late on to change her all black horse ( she was given a black war-horse by a grateful Duke of Orleans) - to have white socks. I forgot Troopers' knowledgable advice, that a horse with white legs or socks would always have a pale hoof!

I will re-photograph later on today.

Cheers Vic - and yes - the Fleur-de-lys were a tad tricky. I hope they aren't too bad - but I do like to paint freehand rather spontaneously. I think that of all of the early Knight figure painters - Freddie Ping is my favourite - and try very hard to do what he did, and paint quickly. Mine are always in Glossy Toy Soldier style - and not accurate figurines - just because that's the way I like them. jb

I'm having a few problems again with Photobucket - so will show Sir William de Thorpe - bearing the banner of the Erle of Northampton,Sir William de Bohun separately. I have given him the Coat of Arms of the de Thorpe family - and have used the same casting as did Roy Selwyn Smith, back in the 1950's - when he first produced this figure. Note how he cleverly cut down his original long-tailed banner - to only use the part next to the pole. I have tried to replicate his version - retaining the figure's breastplate and dagged sleeves, though changing the jupon design to that of the de Thorpe family. A banner holder would not have normally carried a shield to leave a hand free for a weapon - usually sword, axe or mace.

Saint Joan of Arc - or Jehanne la Poucelle (Joan the Maid) - or the Maid of Orleans. Choose whichever you prefer. Here's my figure - now completed (except for the lower part of her banner, which will be fixed in place and painted, when I get home). jb

Very nice JB, I really like that Joan of Arc figure. Nicely done!!

Cheers Scott - yes, well worth waiting for the right casting to come along - and be able to make it up something like my favourite Knight painter did. I'm finding myself more and more drawn in this direction lately - so there may be a few more lookalike favourites in my collection - before I'm finished. Glad you like her too. jb

I had originally intended to save my last pair of Knights ( both at Agincourt - this time) for a later date. But have so enjoyed making up my first two ( Joan of Arc - and Sir William de Thorpe) - I have started both ne ones off. You can see my first two at the rear - against the background of one of my painting guide sources ( Osprey men At Arms 113). My first two have also had their final coat of Tamiya X-22 Acrylic Varnish - which gives them a hard protective and very glossy shell finish.

A closer look at my new pairing can be seen in this second pic. Note that I have painted the underside of each horse - and then fitted them to individual stands;(tricky to paint underneath afterwards). I had originally intended to make them up as a pair in combat on a single large stand - but realised that by selecting an appropriate stand for each that could be modified slightly to fit together - I had the best of both Worlds. By placing them appropriately - they could either be in combat - or stand alone pieces.

On the left is Charles D'Albret - Constable of France - who will be fighting with Sir Richard de Vere, Earl of Oxford when both are completed. I've selected a Mace for Dicky - whilst Charlie will be wielding a sword. That's the beauty of using bits and pieces of parts - you can create an individual (perhaps unique) piece from a variety of appropriate heads, arms weapons, and horsey parts from a huge range of re-cast and original parts.

Hi JB,

Now, we are just waiting for you to complete some Saracens and we can call this thread A Knight in Tunisia....
Sorry I just couldnt resist this.....:)

Rgds Victor

Hi JB,

Now, we are just waiting for you to complete some Saracens and we can call this thread A Knight in Tunisia....
Sorry I just couldnt resist this.....:)

Rgds Victor

Sorry chum - wrong arena. I started off with Agincourt ( or more correctly, Azincourt - as it was/is still spelled in France). Okay, I strayed a bit - to include Crecy - but still within the bounds of "The Hundred Years War" - between France & some British - though including other European states too. I also admit to sneaking in a Richard the Lionheart - as a one-off "special" - but that was just fulfilling a boyhood want, that remained dormant for 60 years, or so!:rolleyes2:

For now, Saracens, for me - is a London based Rugby Club ( and a pretty good one too, presently). I have no plans at present, of employing a mounted outside half, as a Standard Bearer to King Henry V - or a pack of Sarries to attack them.{eek3}

I'm currently working through several wonderful illustrations in Peter Greenhill's excellent book on Heraldic Miniature Knights - and getting inspired to try and do a version of several original Courtneys, Selwyn Smiths, Ping and Greenhill's that I could never afford to buy as originals ( if I wish to remain married!). However, my current fighting pair are also shown in my Osprey Men at Arms book - so my pair are being painted using both books as guides. I'm also missing a sword for my Earl of Oxford - as I write - so an e-mail went off last night to Dorset for an urgent replacement (as well as some cowboy bits for elsewhere!).

BUT - Never say never - who knows where this current quest may eventually lead?:confused::D

And just to show a bit of progress - here's how they are both currently developing. To the left - on a rearing mount - is Charlie (Charles d'Albret) - and his eventual opponent - Dickie (Sir Richard de Vere - Earl of Oxford). The White Star ( Mullet in heraldry-speak) in the top right quarter of his charges, denotes that he is an Earl ( they spelled it Erle, at that time - 25 October 1415 - Saint Crispin's Day - for the Battle of Agincourt). I have opened them up from their eventual poses - to show the paintwork a bit more clearly - they will be closer together when completed (sorry about the soft focus - my camera does that from time to time - don't know why - as it's on auto!).

I am using modified re-casts, once again, of some of the Agincourt range sculpted originally by Roy Selwyn Smith. Charlie will have a different right arm from the original piece - holding a sword aloft, and note that his head has been re-positioned to look a little to his left. I am giving him a "Bevor" - which is an early form of neck protection, much like the later gorget piece of armour - hence his current dog-collar, made from milliput. Some Fleur-de-lys to come on the blue parts of horse caparison and his jupon.

Dickie has also been given a brand new head with closed visor on his new basinet. The old one being removed with a razor-saw ( and now in my spares-box). Again, he is looking left at his opponent - and has also had arm changes - to hold a mace now in his right hand - just about to strike - and his left arm/shield is also a replacement part. I wanted this shield held away from the body - as if to push away his opponent - and open a path for a cross body strike with his mace.

Both coming along nicely - see below. P.S Replacement Sword now on the way from Dorset - just had a reply!:D jb

Both of my latest figures have now been painted and had a first coat of varnish. I have taken four pics., shown below - which show a few details. Two of them show how I intend to display them as a fighting pair - the other two are separated to show the details on each side more clearly.

Once they are completely dried out - I will give them their final coats of varnish. I usually find one or two detail points to touch up in the intervening period - such as the pupil to the eye of one of my horses - which I can see that I have missed from these pics!!

Note that this confrontation may not actually have taken place in this manner - if at all - as I have read accounts of Agincourt - which appear to suggest that Charles and Richard actually fought on foot - and may never have met on the field anyway. It is known that Charles died on the field at Agincourt - but his death has been depicted in various ways - in films and plays across the intervening years. I'm suggesting that he at least had a headache from this encounter!!!

Note also that I have given Charles, blackened armour - as did the director of the 1944 film version of Henry V ( a film that I have always enjoyed immensely - with Sir Laurence Olivier as the King).

So.....maybe not historically accurate in every way - who knows? These two make a nice picture on horseback though, I think! - and will certainly add something to my Medieval shelf, along with my other two from Dorset . :D jb

Last edited:
I have added another figure to my Medieval Soldiers, which came from my last visit to Dorset Soldiers. You may recall me adding some Longbowmen to an earlier post. ( see back in post#84 of this thread). I found this latest one - which is really a conversion of one of the the standing figures. He's a kneeling figure - and I have given him yet another "head" option - using a kettle hat this time. I've also given him a red cross on his jerkin - as I read recently that the archers were ordered to wear one at Agincourt - to aid in identifying friend or foe - which as things turned out for the British side - was a pretty neat idea! jb

I have been making up and now completed another figure to join my Medieval collection. Alas - he pre-dates Agincourt by a number of years - yet he is connected by ancestry to those who fought there - so don't get too upset!

He is a figure close to my roots once again - as he hailed from South Wales - or as he would have called it - "Deheubarth".

We are talking c.1195 for my latest Knight - who rejoiced in the name of Sir Rhys ap Gruffydd, ( often Anglicised to Rhys ap Griffith). Known in my childhood History lessons as Arglwydd Rhys ( or Lord Rhys) - he was an ancient Prince of this area area of Cymru (Wales).

Sir Rhys, was an ancestor of Harri Tewdor ( King Henry VII - 1457-1509) and also of his namesake Sir Rhys ap Griffith - who fought alongside the Black Prince at Poitiers in 1356. I mention him specifically - because he fought, with the flag of the Wessex Wyvern fixed to his lance at that battle. (A Wyvern being a Dragon - with a serpent's tail.)

This Wessex Dragon Emblem, I must admit - I have taken liberties with - in giving it to my version of the earlier Knight - Sir Rhys ap Gruffydd. Knowing the love that all Welsmen have for "Y Ddraig Goch" (The Red Dragon) - I have given my "Arglwydd Rhys" this banner too - though he is using it some 150 years before it is chronicled as being used by his relative at Poitiers. Call it - poetic license.:D

I am grateful for the idea of using a soda can for the material for the flag - from "Fishead", which I think worked out very well. I also thank Dorset Soldiers for the bulk of the "Agincourt" re-cast parts for my converted figure - and also Whitetower Miniatures and Langley Miniatures - for other parts I adapted and used. Hope you like him - johnnybach

Here he is below:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back