Favorite glossy toy soldiers (1 Viewer)

favorite glossy toy soldiers

• Total voters

VIRIATO

Command Sergeant Major
Imperial's toy soldiers are my absolute favorite ones. I like their traditional glossy look, but also the fact that they look more realistic and better sculpted than many other glossy toy soldiers, especially the earliest ones. This doesn't mean I don't appreciate the toy charm of the old Britains (even with those weird eyes, one painted next to the ear the other next to the nose), and the way Dorset or Hocker do it. But when it comes to choice, I choose Imperial.
When it comes to comparing Imperial with other new gloss, I feel they have unmatched painting and detail quality, even when faced with Trophy or Little Legion. The closest call to me comes from the Britains Classic Collection, Bluecoats and Redcoats, a still expanding range. But also from Beau Geste.
All of this IMHO, of course.
What's your say? For this poll I chose options from new toy soldiers as opposed to vintage, Old Britains and others are another matter.

Paulo

I voted Somerset because I think they're the best glossy out there. Couldn't vote for more than one. Otherwise I would also pick K & C and Trophy.

Since the only glossy soldiers I have are two new Britains (Redcoats and Bluecoats) I had to vote for them... I do enjoy them.

Jim

Little Legion is my favorite maker of glossy toy soldiers. My favorite range is AZW. My second is Trophy and it is a very close second. I picked Little Legion because they are still being made and easy to get. However, finding Trophy AZW here and there is fun too.

The harder choice would be to pick my favorite set.

Paulo, I couldn't vote for just one maker. :(

Too many great companies to pick just one. :D

Chuck

Paulo,

I like the glossy sets and figures made by several of the listed manufacturers.

As I can choose only one, it has to be my favourite Trophy of Wales.

Thanks for the well titled poll.

Raymond.:)

I had to vote for Marlborough because of the Durbar. I love their paint style and the charm of the soldiers. I would have voted for several others if we had the ability to vote for more than one maker.

My favorites are:

Marlborough
Imperial
Britains
Steadfast
Frontline
Soldiers of the World
Tradition

and several others. Too many wonderful makers out there to limit yourself.

Dave

Last edited:
I have no problem picking my favourite as Imperial , but I,m more than
happy to have premier ,little legion , britains and trophy sets in my
collection.
I also like soldiers of the World as they have a nice range of New Zealand soldiers and are nicely done.

I have no problem picking my favourite as Imperial , but I,m more than
happy to have premier ,little legion , britains and trophy sets in my
collection.
I also like soldiers of the World as they have a nice range of New Zealand soldiers and are nicely done.

Yes, Soldiers of the World are very nice. I have checked Regal's website and the Regal figures now seem to follow the type and painting style ot their SOW range, as opposed to the earlier more Imperial like Regal.

Paulo

Somerset are really excellent too, to me they are a little too far and harder to get, so I follow other options.

Paulo

- William Hocker for me
but also
- Trophy
- Britains
- Under Two Flags
- Ducal
- Dorset
- Marlborough

TROPHY for me, but I think you may have guessed that:D

Cheers

Martyn:)

I picked Somerset as I really love the Indian Lancers. I also really like Britains, my Frontline 11th Hussars, and my Union Jacks by Paxton-Sheriff. My glossies are my favorites even though my collection is about 50/50. Must say my JJD Jacobites are right up there as my favorites, too. -- lancer

Trophy is leading, and I must say the Trophy figures are really excellent, but I only have a few sets, they are not being made anymore (at least in gloss). Hocker's quality is also excellent, but not my favorite kind of gloss figures.
Now where are the other Imperial collectors? Help me out on this one:D:D:D!

Paulo

Current State of the Poll:

(1) Trophy 28.00%

(2) William Hocker 20.00%

(3) Little Legion and Britains (New) 12.00% each

William Hocker is closing in on Trophy.

Some collectors of William Hocker have not yet voted.

Raymond.

Had to vote for ATS as thy were my re-introduction to the hobby towards the end of 2005. Since then I have bought a number of ATS glossy mounted figures both ACW and Napoleonic from their catalogue as well as specially commissioned items so it was a very easy choice for me. I do however, appreciate other makers such as Lt. Legion, Tedtoy and Monarch Regalia Ltd. I also wish that some of the UK makers like MIM and VC Miniatures were still in full-time production.

Regards
acw cavalry

had to vote for ats as thy were my re-introduction to the hobby towards the end of 2005. Since then i have bought a number of ats glossy mounted figures both acw and napoleonic from their catalogue as well as specially commissioned items so it was a very easy choice for me. I do however, appreciate other makers such as lt. Legion, tedtoy and monarch regalia ltd. I also wish that some of the uk makers like mim and vc miniatures were still in full-time production.

Regards
acw cavalry

mim and vc miniatures are still in full production by fleurbaix along with many other british companies.

Had to vote for ATS as thy were my re-introduction to the hobby towards the end of 2005. Since then I have bought a number of ATS glossy mounted figures both ACW and Napoleonic from their catalogue as well as specially commissioned items so it was a very easy choice for me. I do however, appreciate other makers such as Lt. Legion, Tedtoy and Monarch Regalia Ltd. I also wish that some of the UK makers like MIM and VC Miniatures were still in full-time production.

Regards
acw cavalry

ATS cavalry is excellent I have a few ATS Nap cavalry myself.

Paulo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back