Favourite black and white war film ? (1 Viewer)

uksubs

Lieutenant Colonel
Mine is The Train with Burt Lancaster has it has it all action , trains blown up , Spitfire and Mosquito attacking the train and well written , but what your ?

Mine is The Train with Burt Lancaster has it has it all action , trains blown up , Spitfire and Mosquito attacking the train and well written , but what your ?

Great film that one.

I would say Longest Day, but (I may be wrong) I think that was in the colour era but made in B&w.

I'd go for 'Dunkirk' , but I could sit and name so many more Neil...its not fair!^&grin

Rob

Great film that one.

I would say Longest Day, but (I may be wrong) I think that was in the colour era but made in B&w.

I'd go for 'Dunkirk' , but I could sit and name so many more Neil...its not fair!^&grin

Rob

Both great film but love Dunkirk

Both great film but love Dunkirk

Neil, that Stuka attack scene on the artillery position still has the power to shock all these years later. There was a docu on 1950's War films over Christmas and it stated that Dunkirk set out to shock audiences in a way that many War films of that era did not.

Rob

The Train is outstanding. Certainly one of my all-time favorites. How can one not like a movie with trains and planes?:wink2: The Longest Day is another favorite of mine. However, my favorite b/w war film is All Quiet on the Western Front (1930). It just captures the feel of the time and place. The atmosphere captured in that movie, be it the cinematography, sound track, or story line, just screams WW1 to me. It is a movie that has nailed what what my minds image of what WW1 was, at least as far as a piece of film-making can do so. -- Al

The Train is outstanding. Certainly one of my all-time favorites. How can one not like a movie with trains and planes?:wink2: The Longest Day is another favorite of mine. However, my favorite b/w war film is All Quiet on the Western Front (1930). It just captures the feel of the time and place. The atmosphere captured in that movie, be it the cinematography, sound track, or story line, just screams WW1 to me. It is a movie that has nailed what what my minds image of what WW1 was, at least as far as a piece of film-making can do so. -- Al

Couldn't agree more, its THE WW1 film in my view with the later colour remake not coming near it I'm afraid.

Rob

Neil, that Stuka attack scene on the artillery position still has the power to shock all these years later. There was a docu on 1950's War films over Christmas and it stated that Dunkirk set out to shock audiences in a way that many War films of that era did not.

Rob

Not seen the film for a long time now but is that the attack on the twenty pounder guns ? That the bit I alway remember

Not seen the film for a long time now but is that the attack on the twenty pounder guns ? That the bit I alway remember

Yes that's the one, the Dunkirk beach scenes are also really good.^&cool

Rob

That counts, Rob, it's still a black & white film.

Tough choice. I could say "The Longest Day", too, but also "Stalag 17", "All Quiet on the Western Front", and "Sahara". Also, "The Grand Illusion" comes to mind. Yes, tough choice, indeed.

Prost!
Brad

I also remember 3 Pacific war films that were very influential to me as a boy. Always loved 'Bataan', 'Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo', and 'Guadalcanal Diary'. All 3 were well done films and 30 Seconds had loads of great flying sequences with genuine B-25's. -- Al

Neil its no good mate I gotta name some more!:wink2: Lets just call these my reserves in case ' Dunkirk' doesn't turn up!^&grin

Carve Her Name With Pride
Cruel Sea
In Which we serve
Ice Cold in Alex
Colditz Story
Dambusters
Malta Story

Oh this is no good , I could go on for hours! Sorry Neil:redface2::wink2:

Rob

Neil its no good mate I gotta name some more!:wink2: Lets just call these my reserves in case ' Dunkirk' doesn't turn up!^&grin

Carve Her Name With Pride
Cruel Sea
In Which we serve
Ice Cold in Alex
Colditz Story
Dambusters
Malta Story

Oh this is no good , I could go on for hours! Sorry Neil:redface2::wink2:

Rob
No Rob this is good mate :wink2: are you give you mine when the kids are in bed ^&grin

No Rob this is good mate :wink2: are you give you mine when the kids are in bed ^&grin

^&grin

Neil, I bet you've seen this one. Its a prisoner of War movie from 1959 called ' Danger Within ' , it stars Richard Attenborough and Richard Todd (he of Longest Day and the real Capture of Pegasus Bridge) overlooked because of the Great Escape but still a really good film.

Rob

yes the 'Train' is very good - i'd probably pick 'Bataan' : typically chirpy and wholesome before turning suprisingly violent for an old film.

Theirs Is the Glory - a movie about Arnhem made just after the war. I only saw it the once many years ago.

I also love all quite on the western front and grand illusion but, another of my top picks is Battlegroung.
The story of the 101st in Bastogne .
Chuck

Couple of more dear to my heart are 'Twelve O'Clock High' and 'Command Decision'. -- Al

Air Force (1943)

On December 6, 1941, the crew of a B-17 leaves San Francisco on a routine unarmed flight to Hawaii.

Cheers

Martyn:)

Air Force (1943)

On December 6, 1941, the crew of a B-17 leaves San Francisco on a routine unarmed flight to Hawaii.

Cheers

Martyn:)
That is a goody. Just saw it a week or so ago. John Garfield, Harry Carey (Sr.). {bravo}} -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back