Heco Tinplate Models (1 Viewer)

That’s a great auto correct misspelling!{sm4}

Mine usually make me sound crazy so be glad it was just a different adjective...
Also the Junker is an amazing find! Congratulations

Dave

Nice one Louis :salute::

All the best

Martyn:)

PS Any Trophy:wink2:

The Heco Junkers is 31 in. wide/20 in. length. The level of detail and craftsmanship is terrific.

The Junkers has the corrugated metal skin, two opening doors to interior seats which are articulated. The cockpit has a crew in it, and the model has the appropriate weaponry and other exterior equipment such as ailerons,flare holders, RDF- Loop Antennae ( Radio Direction Finder). Once it arrives I will take several better photographs and post them so you can see the remarkable detail work.

Thank you Dave and Martyn!:smile2:

Sorry Martyn, no luck with Trophy for me. The only WWI Trophy sets I saw I already had. But, I guess I used up all my luck on finding the Junkers!:wink2:

Here are a couple of more photos from when I bought the Junkers:

Attachments

• Heco Junkers JU52.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU52.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 265
  • Heco Junkers JU52 1.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU52 1.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 256
  • Heco Junkers JU52 2.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU52 2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 268
The Heco Junkers is 31 in. wide/20 in. length. The level of detail and craftsmanship is terrific.

The Junkers has the corrugated metal skin, two opening doors to interior seats which are articulated. The cockpit has a crew in it, and the model has the appropriate weaponry and other exterior equipment such as ailerons,flare holders, RDF- Loop Antennae ( Radio Direction Finder). Once it arrives I will take several better photographs and post them so you can see the remarkable detail work.

It arrived safely today. Here are some photos in situ:

Attachments

• Heco Junkers JU52 5.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU52 5.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 267
  • Heco Junkers JU52 9.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU52 9.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 263
  • Heco Junkers JU52 10.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU52 10.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 257
  • Heco Junkers JU52 3.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU52 3.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 286
Now for some close-ups on the Junkers' details, like opening doors, seats inside, crew in the cockpit, etc.:

Attachments

• Heco Junkers JU52 4.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU52 4.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 263
  • Heco Junkers JU52 6.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU52 6.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 258
  • Heco Junkers JU52 7.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU52 7.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 262
  • Heco Junkers JU52 8.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU52 8.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 261
As you can see from the photos, I squeezed the Junkers onto a 24 inch square RAF Blast Pen diorama made for me by TM Terrain. I just exchanged e-mails with Dave of TM Terrain and ordered a 3 foot square Luftwaffe Blast Pen diorama to display the beast properly.{sm4}

I'm a terrible photographer, but here are a few more so you can see that the details in the cockpit include a control panel with tiny tinplate gages, and the pilots yokes to fly the plane. Both pilot and co-pilot are looking off to the right, perhaps a vic of Heco Hawker Hurricanes is vectoring in on the attack!{sm4}

Attachments

• Heco Junkers JU52 11.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU52 11.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 265
  • Heco Junkers JU52 12.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU52 12.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 258
  • Heco Junkers JU52 13.jpg
    Heco Junkers JU52 13.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 265
Two new HECO Bavarian Fighters for the Saxon Aces (1)

I have always had a soft spot for the fighter planes produced by the Bavarian Pfalz company after reading Greg van Wyngarden's Pfalz Aces in the Osprey series, EI - IV, DIII / IIIa and DXII to say nothing of the lesser used DVIII and DrI, planes which always seemed to be the second choice of fighter pilots despite often being on a par with their Prussian contemporaries and less likely to fall apart. Now thanks in no small part to Louis, I have been fortunate enough to complete the triumvirate with HECO versions of the Bavarian company's main three fighters all in the markings of Saxon aces.

The DIIIa I added last year thanks to Louis but the other two are recent acquisitions

HECO - Pfalz Flying Obituary

A plane I always wanted to add to my collection was the Pfalz Eindecker a contemporary of the Fokker EI - EIII, but until recently I was deterred by not have any info on any Saxon ace who may have flown one. However, I recently discovered via the 'Aerodrome' web site that Hans-Karl Müller probably flew EI 214/15. Now thanks to Louis I have managed to add one of my favorite WWI planes the Pfalz EI 'Flying Obituary' to my collection. The Pfalz Eindeckers were so named by their pilots because the black outlines to the white plane resembled the obituaries in German newspapers for troops KIA. The Pfalz EI was a licenced copy of the Morane H but mine had to be made from a modified Morane N the version made by HECO (unfortunately slightly smaller than the H).

DSCF0280.jpg DSCF0283.jpg

Vzfw Hans-Karl Muller - Pfalz EI - Kasta 11 - Mar 1916

I now have in my collection one of Germanys earliest fighters in its distinctive black and white markings, to which I hope to add the similar HECO Fokker EIII Eindecker as used by Max Immelmann.

Last edited:
Two new HECO Bavarian Fighters for the Saxon Aces (2)

Pfalz DXII

I also managed to add the Pfalz DXII a 1918 contemporary of the famous Fokker DVII some 400 of which reached the front. I had been looking for a possible tinplate model to convert to the DXII for some time when I realized that the best candidate was the HECO Standard Single Seat Biplane that had been masquerading for a few months as a Sopwith Camel on E-Bay. Again finding information on a possible Saxon ace who flew one has proven difficult, but I believe that Georg Weiner probably flew one with Jasta 3 in September 1918 if so he may well have painted it in the same colours as the late Dan san Abbot attributed to his later Fokker DVII. Until I get definite proof of actual markings for Weiner or another Saxon ace I am more than happy with these colourful markings (especially as no lozenge markings to paint) which I hope will be liked by other HECO aficionados.

DSCF0278.jpg DSCF0279.jpg

Lnt. Georg Weiner - Pfalz DXII - Jasta 3 - Sep 1918

Awesome conversions Mark!!^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool^&cool I am really impressed with both! You know that if any of my duplicates can help you expand your collection of Saxon Aces, you only have to let me know, and they will be flying across the pond!:smile2:

Buyer be Aware

A HECO Sopwith Camel has appeared on Ebay.

Firstly it is a Spad XIII in American colours, second apparently it has Made in Japan stamped on the bottom and third the buyer will need to repaint much of it.

I am fairly sure that if Tony Williams ever visited Japan he would have been more interested in sightseeing and looking at motorbikes than doing any manufacturing.

Nevertheless, it looks alright and is similar to HECO in style and size albeit needing a touch up. So as it is cheap if you have not got a HECO Spad it may be it is worth a punt.

The clue is the wheels and the wiring. Definitely not HECO. Some people will do anything for a buck!

Bosun Al

The Spad is listed as Heco 'style', not as Heco itself. The big red flag is the size. It is only 6.5 inches long with a wingspan of 7 7/8 inches. It is marked with one of Frank Luke's aircraft numbers but I can't make out the tail numbers. Kind of a neat model. -- Al

As you can see from the photos, I squeezed the Junkers onto a 24 inch square RAF Blast Pen diorama made for me by TM Terrain. I just exchanged e-mails with Dave of TM Terrain and ordered a 3 foot square Luftwaffe Blast Pen diorama to display the beast properly.{sm4}

Here are the photos of the finished TM Terrain Luftwaffe Blast Pen diorama I received from David. Once it arrives, I will post some photos of the Junkers and some other WWII German Heco items on the diorama . . . :wink2:

Attachments

• German Airfield Diorama 1.jpg
    German Airfield Diorama 1.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 384
  • German Airfield Diorama 2.jpg
    German Airfield Diorama 2.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 372
The luftwaffe Diorama made by David from TM Terrain arrived safely and looked terrific! My son and his friend carried it upstairs and peopled it with the Heco Junkers JU52 and a bunch of other Heco WWII German items. I am feeling a bit better today and hope to go upstairs and post some photos by tonight.😎😎

The luftwaffe Diorama made by David from TM Terrain arrived safely and looked terrific! My son and his friend carried it upstairs and peopled it with the Heco Junkers JU52 and a bunch of other Heco WWII German items. I am feeling a bit better today and hope to go upstairs and post some photos by tonight.😎😎

Here they are:

Attachments

• Heco Junkers Diorama 1.jpg
    Heco Junkers Diorama 1.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 376
  • Heco Junkers Diorama 2.jpg
    Heco Junkers Diorama 2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 381
  • Heco Junkers Diorama 4.jpg
    Heco Junkers Diorama 4.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 625
Re: Two new HECO Bavarian Fighters for the Saxon Aces (2)

pfalz dxii

i also managed to add the pfalz dxii a 1918 contemporary of the famous fokker dvii some 400 of which reached the front. I had been looking for a possible tinplate model to convert to the dxii for some time when i realized that the best candidate was the heco standard single seat biplane that had been masquerading for a few months as a sopwith camel on e-bay. Again finding information on a possible saxon ace who flew one has proven difficult, but i believe that georg weiner probably flew one with jasta 3 in september 1918 if so he may well have painted it in the same colours as the late dan san abbot attributed to his later fokker dvii. Until i get definite proof of actual markings for weiner or another saxon ace i am more than happy with these colourful markings (especially as no lozenge markings to paint) which i hope will be liked by other heco aficionados.

View attachment 238190 View attachment 238191

lnt. Georg weiner - pfalz dxii - jasta 3 - sep 1918

very nice! I just love those old heco planes , thanks for sharing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back