Heco Tinplate Models (2 Viewers)

Hi tdubel

Almost certainly Louis is right that it is supposed to be a Nieuport 17. Yet it is interesting that it lacks the headrest standard for the type (possibly a mistake). Alternatively looking at the Nieuport fighters on a number of sites the only Nieuport fighter that did not use the headrest was the Nieuport 21 which was only have armed with the single wing mounted machinegun like the model. However, the N21 had a 'horseshoe' cowling similar to that on the Siemens Schuckert DI I converted from a N17 in post 1318, a mistake possibly due to Tony not having a picture of the N21 from the front.

Re the markings sorry to disappoint you but the cross is from the St Johns Ambulance Brigade possibly a creative use of a batch of transfers Heco had printed for some ambulance models. Maybe Louis has one. Needless to say I was unable to find any evidence that any French WWI Escadrille used the logo as a squadron marking. Generally, Heco were not accurate with the portrayal of markings as witnessed by the number of planes particularly German with a 'pirate' logo. Remember that they were intended to supplement old style hollow caste Toy Soldiers.

Nevertheless, you have a beautiful if slightly unusual Nieuport 17 or 21. Congratulations!

Mark,

I certainly defer to your knowledge of WWI Fighters. However, I think Tom's model (below)

attachment.php

was intended to be a Nieuport 17. That is what was listed in the Heco Tinplate Models catalogue, and these are two Heco models's that came in Heco boxes marked as Nieuport 17 which I am pretty sure are the same basic model as Tom's (with different detailing):

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hi Louis

I also certainly defer to your undoubted knowledge of Heco and I agree it is probably a N17 minus headrest.

Thanks again for those wonderful photos. As a matter of interest do you have a Heco St. John's Ambulance Brigade model as I am sure l have seen one somewhere.

Thanks all!

Ironically, I only collect the heco planes with the Skull and Crossbones!!

Tom

Hi Louis

I also certainly defer to your undoubted knowledge of Heco and I agree it is probably a N17 minus headrest.

Thanks again for those wonderful photos. As a matter of interest do you have a Heco St. John's Ambulance Brigade model as I am sure l have seen one somewhere.

Mark,

I have two Heco ambulances (see below). I don't think either has that Maltese Cross on it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hi Louis

Mark,

I trust your knowledge of Warbirds more than my knowledge of Heco, so I did a little digging, and maybe you were correct in the first place. I found a photo of a Heco Tinplate Nieuport 17 (in very similar markings) with the headrest. Either this is a different model, or he Tony Williams left the headrest off of some N17 models:

attachment.php

Mark,

I trust your knowledge of Warbirds more than my knowledge of Heco, so I did a little digging, and maybe you were correct in the first place. I found a photo of a Heco Tinplate Nieuport 17 (in very similar markings) with the headrest. Either this is a different model, or he Tony Williams left the headrest off of some N17 models:

attachment.php
Mark,

I am now positive that you were correct. I found another Heco Neuiport 17 with the hump, and checked mine, one has it one doesn't, so I believe they must be two different models, an N17 and an N21, as you believed, and Tom's must be the N21:

attachment.php

Again, thanks for all of the help on the id, since it is not one I collect, it made for an interesting challenge.
Tom

Mark,

I am now positive that you were correct. I found another Heco Neuiport 17 with the hump, and checked mine, one has it one doesn't, so I believe they must be two different models, an N17 and an N21, as you believed, and Tom's must be the N21:

Hallo Louis,
You have got a wonderful collection. Nothing beats the charme of old painted tin plate toys. The two Nissen hut (?) hangars and the red cross airplane do look very interesting.
I am following this thread for a long time and enjoy it from the start. Thank you very much for shareing.
rgds
Wolfgang

Hallo Louis,
You have got a wonderful collection. Nothing beats the charme of old painted tin plate toys. The two Nissen hut (?) hangars and the red cross airplane do look very interesting.
I am following this thread for a long time and enjoy it from the start. Thank you very much for shareing.
rgds
Wolfgang

Wolfgang,

Thank you! If you ever come to the United States, I would be honored to show you the collection in person.

Regards,

Louis

Just snagged one of the three Heco Floatplanes I needed, a German Brandenberg (I think, I defer to the experts):

Attachments

• 1 Floatplane 3.jpg
    1 Floatplane 3.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 182
  • 1 Floatplane 2.jpg
    1 Floatplane 2.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 199
Magnificent, I think if I am right that you have been after this model for ages. To me it actually looks like a more accurate model of the Junkers CLI float plane.

Am still trying to figure out what this aircraft is. The tail is wrong for a Brandenburger and the cowling is wrong for a Junkers; but the model is still a beauty! So I'm figuring it's sort of a hybred, much like the RAF low-winged single-wing float plane that I have. Glad you got it!

Bosun Al

Here are some photos of the "hybrid" Brandenberger/Junkers CL1 with the rest of my Heco Flying Boats and Floatplanes:

Attachments

• 1 Brandenberger Floatplane Heco 4.jpg
    1 Brandenberger Floatplane Heco 4.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 226
  • 1 Brandenberger Floatplane Heco 3.jpg
    1 Brandenberger Floatplane Heco 3.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 236
  • 1 Brandenberger Floatplane Heco 2.jpg
    1 Brandenberger Floatplane Heco 2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 206
  • 1 Brandenberger Floatplane Heco 1.jpg
    1 Brandenberger Floatplane Heco 1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 224
Gorgeous collection of flying boats, Louis. Really like what appears to be the Austrian Lohner E boat. Great colors on that one. -- Al

3 pictures for tdubel

Going back a couple of weeks or so 3 images for tdubel - Sorry for the delay

13827881b953fdafaa99b9ee0e90ced6.jpg
As I know you collect Heco models with the scull and crossbones ! The Albatros DII flown by Prinz Friedrich-Karl von Preussen. He was shot down and taken prisoner on 21st March 1917 (by Lt.Pickthorne from 32nd Squadron RFC). Later he dead due to wounds he received whilst attempting to evade capture. Unfortunately to the best of my knowledge Heco never made an Albatros DII
Star_-_Venerable_Order_of_St_John.jpg
The actual St Johns Cross as used on the Heco Neuport showing the lions and unicorns between the cross arms.
unnamed.jpg
Finally a Britains St Johns Ambulance from set 1512. The fact that Tony Williams had decals for a St Johns Cross would seem to indicate a model somewhere perhaps a one off.

Mark,

All of the Heco catalogues I have access to are posted on this forum. I think I remember in the MLK Catalogue's Heco pages (post #522), there is mention of a St. John's Ambulance. I will check and let you know. . . .

I checked, no mention of a St. John's Ambulance, but there is a police "Black Maria" listed as a varient from the ambulance vehicle, so a St. John's Ambulance seems logical as well.

Also I believe that Tony Williams and Giles Brown of Dorset Soldiers served together in the Essex Police and remained friends when both started up in the manufacture of traditional style Toy Soldiers so perhaps the St Johns Ambulance may have been a joint venture.

I was lucky enough to see Tom today, so here are some shots of the Heco Hanger on my Heco airfield diorama:

Attachments

• 1 Hanger 6.jpg
    1 Hanger 6.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 302
  • 1 Hanger 7.jpg
    1 Hanger 7.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 192
  • 1 Hanger 8.jpg
    1 Hanger 8.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 187
  • 1 Hanger 4.jpg
    1 Hanger 4.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 1 Hanger 2.jpg
    1 Hanger 2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 188
And a couple of shots of the interior . . .

Attachments

• 1 Hanger 5.jpg
    1 Hanger 5.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 1 Hanger 3.jpg
    1 Hanger 3.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 192
  • 1 Hanger 1.jpg
    1 Hanger 1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 195

Users who are viewing this thread

Back