Heco Tinplate Models (2 Viewers)

Does anyone know the time period (from - to) over which HECO models were made? I'd like to continue researching the company.

Bosun Al

Here are some photos my son Alec took of the Heco Feisler Storch on the TM Terrain Germain Blast pen diorama with the Junkers JU52 and some other Heco Tinplate Models:

Great models Louis, complemented by your son's photography :salute::

Stay safe mate

Martyn:)

Does anyone know the time period (from - to) over which HECO models were made? I'd like to continue researching the company.

Bosun Al

Al,

I have an entry from a Toy Soldier Book about Heco, and a Toy Soldier Magazine article about Heco, interviewing Tony Williams and Adele Moore, which provide most if not all of the information you are looking for. PM me your e-mail, and I will scan and send them to you.

Louis

Great models Louis, complemented by your son's photography :salute::

Stay safe mate

Martyn:)

Thank you, Martyn!:smile2: I hope to be posting some more of his photography on the Trophy WWI thread on or after Father's Day.:salute::

Al,

I have an entry from a Toy Soldier Book about Heco, and a Toy Soldier Magazine article about Heco, interviewing Tony Williams and Adele Moore, which provide most if not all of the information you are looking for. PM me your e-mail, and I will scan and send them to you.

Louis

Al,

I e-mailed you the article and excerpt from Opie's Book regarding the history of Heco Tinplate Models.

Louis

For anyone else interested in the history of Heco Tinplate Models:

Attachments

• Heco Article 1.jpg
    Heco Article 1.jpg
    564.5 KB · Views: 216
  • Heco Article 2 (2).jpg
    Heco Article 2 (2).jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 211
  • Heco Article 3.jpg
    Heco Article 3.jpg
    898.1 KB · Views: 216
  • Heco Article 4.jpg
    Heco Article 4.jpg
    1,000.5 KB · Views: 245
And here is the excerpt from the Asquith Book:

Attachments

• Heco Article 5.jpg
    Heco Article 5.jpg
    745.4 KB · Views: 228
  • Heco Article 6.jpg
    Heco Article 6.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 213
My son Alec took some photos of my Heco Observation Balloon diorama:

GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Some of the photos I posted aren't showing for some people, so I am reposting the photos of the Heco Observation Balloon diorama:

Attachments

• 1 Alec's Heco Balloon 1.jpg
    1 Alec's Heco Balloon 1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 243
  • 1 Alec's Heco Balloon 2.jpg
    1 Alec's Heco Balloon 2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 246
My son Alec was doing a bit of rearranging on the Heco Airfield diorama, and decided to take a photo of our Heco Cierva Autogyro:

Attachments

• 1 Autogyro 1.jpg
    1 Autogyro 1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 234
Thanks to the generosity of good friend Tom (TDubel), who passed along this magnificent find to me at his cost, I just agreed to purchase this excellent Heco Tinplate Models RFC Hanger:

Attachments

• 1 Heco Hanger 1.jpg
    1 Heco Hanger 1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 1 Heco Hanger 2.jpg
    1 Heco Hanger 2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 175
Tom sent me some photos of the interior detail of the Hanger (I will be displaying it with the doors open, one or two aircraft and some mechanics inside):

Attachments

• 1 Heco Hanger 3.jpg
    1 Heco Hanger 3.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 1 Heco Hanger 4.jpg
    1 Heco Hanger 4.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 156
I rearranged the Heco Airfield to clear a space for the Hanger:

attachment.php

It will be displayed between the two RFC Motor Mechanic Shops, with the doors open, and a Brisfit and an SE5 inside, along with some pilots, ground crew, a crew chief, and with a fuel truck and one of the trucks carrying an aircraft out front:

Attachments

• 1 Airfield Heco 1.jpg
    1 Airfield Heco 1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 1 Airfield Heco 2.jpg
    1 Airfield Heco 2.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 161
Hi Experts, which plane is this, I know it is French and the Type, but does anyone know the markings for an accurate description?

It is a heco!

20200826_181502.jpg20200826_181453.jpg

Thanks
Tom

Tom,

As I told you, its a Nieuport 17, in very common markings, which I have seen with a number of different things where the yellow stripe with the Maltese Cross appears on yours. I have seen stripes (red, yellow), an infinity sign, a black heart, letters and numbers, etc. However, I have no idea if your model is meant to be the markings of any particular unit or pilot. I leave that to the experts. Al? :salute::

Last edited:
Hi tdubel

Almost certainly Louis is right that it is supposed to be a Nieuport 17. Yet it is interesting that it lacks the headrest standard for the type (possibly a mistake). Alternatively looking at the Nieuport fighters on a number of sites the only Nieuport fighter that did not use the headrest was the Nieuport 21 which was only have armed with the single wing mounted machinegun like the model. However, the N21 had a 'horseshoe' cowling similar to that on the Siemens Schuckert DI I converted from a N17 in post 1318, a mistake possibly due to Tony not having a picture of the N21 from the front.

Re the markings sorry to disappoint you but the cross is from the St Johns Ambulance Brigade possibly a creative use of a batch of transfers Heco had printed for some ambulance models. Maybe Louis has one. Needless to say I was unable to find any evidence that any French WWI Escadrille used the logo as a squadron marking. Generally, Heco were not accurate with the portrayal of markings as witnessed by the number of planes particularly German with a 'pirate' logo. Remember that they were intended to supplement old style hollow caste Toy Soldiers.

Nevertheless, you have a beautiful if slightly unusual Nieuport 17 or 21. Congratulations!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back