Holloween (1 Viewer)

Leadmen

2nd Lieutenant
Many houses are decorated for Holloween. This old Victorian house in town decorates for all the holidays. The amount of work they do is amazing.

Attachments

• Holloween1w.jpg
    Holloween1w.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 177
Another view of the house.

Attachments

• Holloween2w.jpg
    Holloween2w.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 107
The leaves are coming down. Our road.

Attachments

• Fallleaves1w.jpg
    Fallleaves1w.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 109
Found this little guy. He wants to know where Treefrog is located? :D

Attachments

• Treefrog1w.jpg
    Treefrog1w.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 107
Great photos John and the little guy looking for Treefrog is a gem. Seems you've master your photo taking. Thanks John for the photos.

I guess the kids will get wet this Hollween.They say RAIN for Darthmouth to bad.
Cheers
Dave

Whats the meaning of Holloween............?Means nothing here.

Didn't use to mean that much here, either.

It became popular in later Victorian America to celebrate a party at Halloween, combining elements of old Irish and Scottish folklore with some others (as is so often the case here, in the melting pot), but it was reallly more for adults.

Fast forward a generation or so, and the idea of celebrations more for kids starts to take off, especially in the immediate post-war decade. And when those kids grew up and had children of their own, they passed on that focus.

Now, it's so out of hand that we see "Halloween sales" and decorations are on sale even before the summer ends. And people decorate their homes even in the last days of September. On the other hand, my mother used to put up a carboard skeleton on the front door, and it usually stayed up till it was time to put up the Christmas tree...

And here is the Lehigh Valley, it's common for the municipalities to declare a specific date for Halloween, so that it's not observed on the 31st. They declare an official date for kids to go trick-or-treating, and for their parades. This year, when Halloween falls on a Saturday, every town and borough here in Lehigh and Northampton Counties has already celebrated Halloween by last weekend. I grew up only 30 miles southeast of here, and never saw that, until I moved up here. We went out on the 31st for trick-or-treat, on whatever evening it fell, and the night before, the 30th, was Mischief Night. (Since my parents would let me out for Mischief Night, I used to take a bag of tricks along with me on Halloween itself ;) ).

Today, Halloween is like some sort of cross between Mardi Gras and the Celtic Classics that are held in various parts of the country (that is, about as authentically Celtic as "Hogan's Heroes" is authentically German).

I'll be keeping the lights off Friday night, and crawling around on the floor, so no one knows I'm home. Or I'll sit outside with an air rifle and guard the house.

Prost!
Brad

When I was a kid Halloween was a small celebration but now it has become a huge commercial exersise. The young kids enjoy it but some gangs of older ones in some areas go too far with the trick or treet thing and 'terrorise' the neighbourhood. Unfortunately it is also close to 'Guy Fawlkes' night on 5th November [a traditional fireworks display night] and fireworks are very available to teenagers although legislation has been increased to curb the sale of them.

Alan

Halloween at my house is always a Spooktacular affair. The outside of the house is always decorated in a ghoulish way, always a party and costumed affair - oh by the way, did I mention Halloween also happens to be my birthday :D;)
Mike

Do you gents outside of the US of A have those stores that spring up around August that sell only Halloween "gear?" Halloween is getting to be secular Christmas here and some fundimentalists are getting worried.

Alert! It's a good time to get some of the LEMAX Halloween Town figures and accessories that work for toy soldier displays. The cemetery headstones and monuments are great for scenics. They go on sale now as well.

Hang on i thought kids were told not to except candy of strangers :eek: or knock on some strangers door for that matter.

Hang on i thought kids were told not to except candy of strangers :eek: or knock on some strangers door for that matter.

Yep, good advice. I don't know why it does'nt count on one day of the year over here and elsewhere. Personally, tonight I'm not answering the door and putting the rugby on at high volume, sharing a night in with my mate Mr Shiraz!

Finished decorating the house this afternoon for tonight's Trick-or-Treat event. We always seem to get a good crowd of children and parents at the door. :D

This is what our front yard looks like during the day. At night the pumpkins are lit, there's a strobe light flashing on the Grim Reaper, and there are creepy sound effects playing on a CD system . . . . . . . Mike

PICT0010.jpg

PICT0009.jpg

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0007.jpg

PICT0006.jpg

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

I just got back from taking my kids trick or treating . . . my nearly 4 year old son was "Thomas the Tank Engine" and my 2 year old daughter was Clifford the Big Red Dog. They were so cute they made a killing in candy . . . we stopped when their candy baskets were completely full and they couldn't carry any more.

Great front yard Mike, I am looking forward to Halloween next year as I will be in a house and able to decorate the yard. Much better than an apartment :)

Not many kids this year.mostly family.Guess it's a sign of the times.
Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back