Hudson & Allen Scenics to Go Diorama Bases (1 Viewer)

mestell

Lieutenant Colonel
My COVID-19 "stay at home" project has finally gotten off the ground. It's a 3-foot x 6-foot diorama loosely based on the 1st battle of Bull Run, July 1861 (Sudley-Manassas Road between Bald Hill and Henry Hill) using H&A Scenics to Go 12"x12" square bases. First of two 37" square folding tables was delivered today as well as 3 of the scenic bases (which now gives me 6). Here's a photo of what I have now put together. Large and small bushes are also made by H&A, rocks and boulders are WBritain, spit rail fencing is John Jenkins Designs. The second table will be delivered next week and I should be receiving 11 more scenic bases by the end of this week.
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20200518_183807_resize_40.jpg
    IMG_20200518_183807_resize_40.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 853
Looks tremendous!:salute:: I love Ken and Erika's diorama materials!^&cool^&cool

Looks tremendous!:salute:: I love Ken and Erika's diorama materials!^&cool^&cool

Thanks Louis . . . Great people with loads of talent . . . The 14th Brooklyn would look very nice on this don't you think.
:smile2: Mike

looks great Mike...anxious to see the finished product...

Thank you Mike. I am planning on collecting the JJD 11th NY Fire Zouaves that will be released starting in October on the base being confronted by JJD 1st VA Cavalry which I expect will be released starting toward the end of the year or in 2021. The 14th Brooklyn Militia also were combatants in this area of the Sudley-Manassas Road and these will also be a JJD offering in 2021.

Hey Mike, that's a great looking setup and I look forward to seeing more photos of its build.

By coincidence I recently posted a comment on another thread about the lack of portable diorama items for 60 mm Toy Soldiers compared to smaller gaming scales like 20mm. I've been looking for movable roads and streams to place on grass bases for 54/60 mm scale but haven't found anything yet. I believe there's an opportunity for Hudson & Allen to release something like that.

Hey Mike, that's a great looking setup and I look forward to seeing more photos of its build.

By coincidence I recently posted a comment on another thread about the lack of portable diorama items for 60 mm Toy Soldiers compared to smaller gaming scales like 20mm. I've been looking for movable roads and streams to place on grass bases for 54/60 mm scale but haven't found anything yet. I believe there's an opportunity for Hudson & Allen to release something like that.

One of the reasons I have decided to go this route is for it's flexibility, mobility, and ease to disassemble. These squares placed on folding tables fills the bill. I have all but exhausted most of the space in my hobby room and can no longer manage large permanent displays. This will allow me to set up and tear down as needed.

Mike

Looks good Mike.

I'm a big fan of modular scenics. Even the large base I'm working on now will have removable buildings so I can store it flat against the wall.

Looks good Mike.

I'm a big fan of modular scenics. Even the large base I'm working on now will have removable buildings so I can store it flat against the wall.

Thanks Frank. Being able to store things easily has become a necessity for me. Having modular units facilitates that need.
Mike

A really useful Hudson & Allen Scenic to Go is the Hedgerow Section. Here are some photos my son took using some of the Hedgerow Sections:

Attachments

• Alec's CJB Civilian 3.jpg
    Alec's CJB Civilian 3.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 470
  • Alec's CJB Civilian 2.jpg
    Alec's CJB Civilian 2.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 478
  • Alec's Heco V1 2.jpg
    Alec's Heco V1 2.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 526
  • Alec's Heco V1 1.jpg
    Alec's Heco V1 1.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 497
Hi Mike,

Just saw this thread of yours. I too have recently picked up some of these bases and think they fill a big void in our hobby. Ken does awesome work!!

Looks like your large scene is coming together rather nice and I am anxious to see pics of your progress. Your plans for the battle scene and use of the future figures sounds like this will be one your best dio's yet!

Have fun and thanks for sharing this with us.

Mark

Hi Mike,

Just saw this thread of yours. I too have recently picked up some of these bases and think they fill a big void in our hobby. Ken does awesome work!!

Looks like your large scene is coming together rather nice and I am anxious to see pics of your progress. Your plans for the battle scene and use of the future figures sounds like this will be one your best dio's yet!

Have fun and thanks for sharing this with us.

Mark

Thanks Mark . . . . Its my COVID-19 project . . .

My project getting ready for John's 1st Battle of Bull Run offerings by making a 3-foot x 6-foot diorama table continues. The second 37" square folding table was delivered this morning thus allowing me to place all of the H&A Scenics to Go bases I currently have. The 4 bases needed to complete the landscape are on order. Here's a photo of what I have put together so far. The split rail fencing is JJD SAT-01 from the Battle of Saratoga range, more sets are arriving this coming Monday. The 4 figures that can be seen in the first photo are JJD CSPR sets, Company B (Palmeto Riflemen), 4th South Carolina Infantry.

101605762_3283983638279190_634017772245876736_n (960x755).jpg

101213036_3283983718279182_3972233811176980480_n (960x847).jpg

Mike...that is coming together really quickly...fast deliveries of what is becoming a very attractive display!
these were all made from scratch for you?

Those module boards look great with how they're fitting together to expand the display Mike.
Well done !:salute::

Steve

Mike...that is coming together really quickly...fast deliveries of what is becoming a very attractive display!
these were all made from scratch for you?

Thanks Mike. The bases are all available stock items.
Mike

Those module boards look great with how they're fitting together to expand the display Mike.
Well done !:salute::

Steve

Thank you very much Steve. Not as realistically detailed as your dioramas but I am still very pleased with the results.
Mike

The last 4 H&A Scenics to Go bases that I needed to finish the 3'x6' ACW 1st Bull Run table I am working on arrived this afternoon. Almost complete . . . A couple of JJD SAT-01 Split Rail fence sections will do it . . . These are on order.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20200610_134609_resize_7.jpg
    IMG_20200610_134609_resize_7.jpg
    882.3 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_20200610_134508_resize_49.jpg
    IMG_20200610_134508_resize_49.jpg
    615.6 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_20200610_134356_resize_55.jpg
    IMG_20200610_134356_resize_55.jpg
    609.8 KB · Views: 315
Mike,

Looks tremendous! You also need a second backdrop, but once that's done, you have a fantastic diorama!!:salute::

Users who are viewing this thread

Back