Jenkins Model Pic (2 Viewers)

This is Jenkins' Mannock S.E.5a:

Mannock-5-2-4.jpg

Beautiful shot skimming the clouds. Chris

One more S.E.5a pic, and Mick Mannock goes back in the curio cabinet:

Mannock-3.jpg

Meanwhile, back on deck... :wink2:

banaa-2-3.jpg

What you see above are Jenkins' BH Corsairs and figure sets, mostly ordnance crew.

Moe, that is so cool. Thanks for posting such a realistic looking picture.

Moe, that is so cool. Thanks for posting such a realistic looking picture.

Thank you, Brad.

Seems like there are some Jenkins' Corsair fans out there, so I chopped up the pano with an eye towards giving our readers a better look at the models.

See below:

Attachments

• L.jpg
    L.jpg
    697.5 KB · Views: 171
  • M.jpg
    M.jpg
    794.9 KB · Views: 203
  • R.jpg
    R.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 194
Really like the low angle, 'you are there' aspect to these pictures. Those yellow noses really pop. -- Al

The photos still more than fill my computer screen Moe !
But I know what you mean about having to resize photos to fit TF.

Steve

Really like the low angle, 'you are there' aspect to these pictures. Those yellow noses really pop. -- Al

Hi Al,

The “eye-level” approach is effective, but any subjects to the rear are all but concealed from view. Price you pay, I suppose.:redface2:

The photos still more than fill my computer screen Moe !
But I know what you mean about having to resize photos to fit TF.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I shouldn’t complain, as I enjoy the discussion, hereabouts. When it comes to graphics, however, Facebook has really spoiled me.

banaa-2-3.jpg

Love this shot Moe.

I've wondered if the armorer crews actually climbed the wings to load the rockets, which would be unwieldy and dangerous, or loaded from a "wings down" position. I imagine John did some research on this. He's pretty accurate in his models. Chris

I've wondered if the armorer crews actually climbed the wings to load the rockets, which would be unwieldy and dangerous, or loaded from a "wings down" position. I imagine John did some research on this. He's pretty accurate in his models. Chris

Hi Chris,

This subject keeps coming up! :)

Googled some pics:

2dafd920a66cf9afa9a8d55279f4d004.jpg

iu

iu

If Jenkins latched on to the practice, I suspect that it was because climbing around on the pylons appears so precarious.

I should mention that ordnance was normally loaded while planes were on deck. If there was a detonation, it would do less damage topside. On a crowded deck, planes frequently didn't have the wings lowered until takeoff. I think that the poses and all are just his way of telling the story.

-Moe

Hi Chris,

This subject keeps coming up! :)

Googled some pics:

iu

If Jenkins latched on to the practice, I suspect that it was because climbing around on the pylons appears so precarious.

I should mention that ordnance was normally loaded while planes were on deck. If there was a detonation, it would do less damage topside. On a crowded deck, planes frequently didn't have the wings lowered until takeoff. I think that the poses and all are just his way of telling the story.

-Moe

I thought you would have the answer if anyone did! :salute::

I thought you would have the answer if anyone did! :salute::

Hi Chris,

As I mentioned, Jenkins' handling of the ordnance crew and Corsairs has come up before. To flesh-out the visuals, I went looking for more pics on the Naval Heritage website. Found a few:

80-G-420922.jpeg

1460082051887.jpg

Untitled.jpg

0afd30f5736ee03b5a8bafb51b136066.jpg

I should note that the last pic is a somewhat better version of one from my post directly above.

As you can see, rockets and bombs appear to have been routinely loaded onto a Corsair's outer-wing pylons with the plane's wings folded. I did find pics on the Navy's website of ordnance being loaded on the outer-pylons with the wings extended. However, ONLY on shore-birds. If the aircraft being armed was on a carrier, its wings were folded. Period. No exceptions{sm0}

Now, I need to remember where these pics are located for when the matter gets raised again!:wink2::smile2:

-Moe

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back