King & Country book (2 Viewers)

Hey...easy on the Napoleonics!!!!

WELLINGTON

Don't worry Wellington, only teasing - there should be something for everyone I hope - Louis et al have written the chapters to cover all the products?

Attachments

• IMG_9754red.jpg
    IMG_9754red.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 610
Just thought I would pull this up as a reminder to our sponsors (particularly the one in Hong Kong) that we haven't heard anything since the Chicago Show, and I would like to see us move forward towards release in 2008!

I am just pulling this thread up to answer questions about the book and the photography.

I buy any soldier books I can get - hopefully it will be not much more than $100, with good quality pages and lots of photos. Schiffer Books and Cavendish have done good ones for Norman Joplin, mostly on Britains.

Well, K&C collectors, I am sorry to say and sad to report that the book is pretty much dead in the water. Despite the best efforts of the sponsors, an affordable method of publication was unattainable. The cheapest quote the sponsors could obtain for printing 1,000 copies was in the range of $200 per copy retail, and we just don't think that there are 1,000 collectors willing to pay $200 for the book. Sorry to disappoint everyone, but it looks like our labor of love will never see publication.

If any of you happen to own Random House, now would be a good time to jump in and save the day.

Well, K&C collectors, I am sorry to say and sad to report that the book is pretty much dead in the water. Despite the best efforts of the sponsors, an affordable method of publication was unattainable. The cheapest quote the sponsors could obtain for printing 1,000 copies was in the range of $200 per copy retail, and we just don't think that there are 1,000 collectors willing to pay $200 for the book. Sorry to disappoint everyone, but it looks like our labor of love will never see publication.

If any of you happen to own Random House, now would be a good time to jump in and save the day.

SAY IT AIN'T SO LOU.

Sad news indeed :(

Is there a possibility that K & C could make a special issue set or figure to sell with the book similar to the Limited edition of The Great Book of Britains that came with a Scots Grey's set?

I reckon that would make 1,000 issues at $300 or more a viable proposition.

Could you not release and sell it as a CDrom disc , I know its not the same as a book but at least all your hard work wont go to waste and it would be the next best thing to a book.
cheers Rob

That is a shame. Have you tried any other publishers? I know in one of my books, the publisher has made a note asking people to get in touch with suggestions for books.

Could you not release and sell it as a CDrom disc , I know its not the same as a book but at least all your hard work wont go to waste and it would be the next best thing to a book.
cheers Rob

Rob,

The former sponsors really did their homework, and looked into every imaginable option. Here is an excerpt from the report they gave me on the outcome:

"The book concept as we all knew was going to be potentially a costly one and in the very early stages of our enquiries this became apparent. Not only that but there were very few publishing houses willing to look at a so called ‘domestic run’.

Prices for books based on 500 -1000 editions were £10 - £12,000. This was before any formatting and NO pictures! Putting potential costs up to £14- £15,000+ ($28 - $30k)

We then looked at the possibility of DVD or CD format. These options have been a lot cheaper, however they have still been way off what was thought a sensible development cost. We have had quotes of between £8 - £10, 000. ($16 - $20k) Again before formatting and NO pictures.

Costs involved were for cases, inlay cards, cover, and discs. On top of this you would have formatting (to make it more than a load and play) we have been advised the pictures alone would be about 3 – 4 discs! And if they were to be connected to the text the formatting would be very expensive. Then you have shipping. For the UK, dependant where the discs were produced you would then have VAT and import duty.

Also with a DVD and CD project there was the need from the publishers to do a minimum run of 1000 discs. When most firms work to 5000+

If we took the max production cost of a CD / DVD to be £10k ($20k) that is £10 per disc, with each case needing 3 – 4 discs! Add say £3 per disc for extra formatting 3- 4 discs per box that’s £30 - £40 for the set. Now you’re heading into, the expensive for a CD / DVD realms. This is ALL BEFORE we take into account any local Tax’s, Shipping, author and photographer royalties and any thought of profit!

I am sorry Louis but I don’t feel there is the demand out there from over 1000 people who will spend £50+ on a CD or DVD."

If any of you have an idea we've overlooked, I'd love to hear it. Believe me, Hans, Larry and I spent hundreds of hours writing the text, and Kevin spent many, many hours doing the photography. We would love to see this work out, but, frankly, we are not in a position to fund this thing.

That is a real shame Louis. Obviously the sponsors did their homework. We are just fans and collectors. What do we know about finances. However, for the sponsors, business is their bread and butter.

I'm glad I've collected the brochures for the years and may just have to make a pilgrimage to take photos of things not in the brochures or my collection.

One of the members here sent me a PM recommending that we get dealers to take pre-paid pre-orders for the book, and then once we have collected enough money to satisfy one of the quotes, go forward. I guess it would be up to the willingness of the dealers to do this, but what do you guys think of this idea?

One of the members here sent me a PM recommending that we get dealers to take pre-paid pre-orders for the book, and then once we have collected enough money to satisfy one of the quotes, go forward. I guess it would be up to the willingness of the dealers to do this, but what do you guys think of this idea?

YOU CAN COUNT ME IN ONE THIS IDEA, I REALLY WANT TO SEE THIS BOOK PUBLISHED, THE INFO AND PICS WOULD BE SO HELPFUL TO ME AS A SOME WHAT NEW COLLECTOR.....SAMMY

Louis,

I like that idea as well as any idea that may be workable.

Rob,

The former sponsors really did their homework, and looked into every imaginable option. Here is an excerpt from the report they gave me on the outcome:

"The book concept as we all knew was going to be potentially a costly one and in the very early stages of our enquiries this became apparent. Not only that but there were very few publishing houses willing to look at a so called ‘domestic run’.

Prices for books based on 500 -1000 editions were £10 - £12,000. This was before any formatting and NO pictures! Putting potential costs up to £14- £15,000+ ($28 - $30k)

We then looked at the possibility of DVD or CD format. These options have been a lot cheaper, however they have still been way off what was thought a sensible development cost. We have had quotes of between £8 - £10, 000. ($16 - $20k) Again before formatting and NO pictures.

Costs involved were for cases, inlay cards, cover, and discs. On top of this you would have formatting (to make it more than a load and play) we have been advised the pictures alone would be about 3 – 4 discs! And if they were to be connected to the text the formatting would be very expensive. Then you have shipping. For the UK, dependant where the discs were produced you would then have VAT and import duty.

Also with a DVD and CD project there was the need from the publishers to do a minimum run of 1000 discs. When most firms work to 5000+

If we took the max production cost of a CD / DVD to be £10k ($20k) that is £10 per disc, with each case needing 3 – 4 discs! Add say £3 per disc for extra formatting 3- 4 discs per box that’s £30 - £40 for the set. Now you’re heading into, the expensive for a CD / DVD realms. This is ALL BEFORE we take into account any local Tax’s, Shipping, author and photographer royalties and any thought of profit!

I am sorry Louis but I don’t feel there is the demand out there from over 1000 people who will spend £50+ on a CD or DVD."

If any of you have an idea we've overlooked, I'd love to hear it. Believe me, Hans, Larry and I spent hundreds of hours writing the text, and Kevin spent many, many hours doing the photography. We would love to see this work out, but, frankly, we are not in a position to fund this thing.

Perhaps you can put up a website with a 1 dollar fee /user / month...

JP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back