Let it Snow (1 Viewer)

Combat

Brigadier General
We got almost none last year here in old PA but this week we might get 4-8 inches on Weds. So it begins.

That’s not as bad as around here. They’re predicting 8-13 at night around here.

Well it is 70 degrees in Maryland today and 50 and Rain tomorrow. Then they are saying on Wednesday watching a winter storm high of 34 with 5-10 inches..........................Call me a skeptic, but I will believe it when I see it. Not saying it isn't going to snow, just have a hard time believing it will lay and accumulate. Maybe it will.

Tom

We received 6 inches of the white stuff here in south central Wisconsin between 6:00pm Friday night and 1:00pm yesterday afternoon . . . So it begins, yay

Mike

That’s not as bad as around here. They’re predicting 8-13 at night around here.

Our forecast is all over the place now. Could be a couple inches or feet. I don't mind the snow when I don't have to drive in it. In PA, every homeowner rushes out to clean their driveways the moment it stops snowing. No matter how old or feeble. The driveways are pristine within hours. My strategy is the opposite. If there is a way to get the car out of the driveway without clearing the snow, I declare victory and the let the sun do the rest.

I know it doesn’t compare as we have no snow but it is 34 in Texas right now with a feels like temperature of 29.

The strange thing is that about 60 days ago it was in the mid 90’s with a feels like temperature of 100.

Predictions are crap. Weather reporting is now weathertainment, has been for years, influenced by the need for ratings or hits to websites and social media sites. And people watching it just react without thinking and pass along dire predictions, the direr, the faster they spread.

Here's an example, a story tangential to weather reporting but carried by the weathertainment channels, websites, and social media-the upcoming near-conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter this coming Monday night. It's being touted as a "return of the Star of Bethlehem", accompanied by photos of a very bright star, as we see on Christmas cards and in Christmas movies. It will be nothing of the sort. Jupiter is visible in the southwest at sundown, and you can see for yourself that it's not much brighter than stars like Rigel or Betelguese in Orion. Saturn is visible just to the southwest of Jupiter, and it's not very bright at all. And when they are closer than a fraction of a degree, they won't be any brighter. But places like AccuWeather are beating the drum for this story, and people just click Share and are all abuzz about the bright star they expect to see. It'll be interesting as astronomical events go. But it will be nothing like the hype. And this is how every weather story is handled.

Will it snow? Probably. Will it be as bad as the blow-drieds and Kewpie dolls make it sound? I doubt it.

Prost!
Brad

That’s not correct. The predictions come from the government’s National Weather Service, not the Weather Channel or other like minded companies, and they are predicting up to a foot of snow. Frankly, I hope they are wrong but they were right about yesterday so they will unfortunately be right about tomorrow.

Predictions are crap. Weather reporting is now weathertainment, has been for years, influenced by the need for ratings or hits to websites and social media sites. And people watching it just react without thinking and pass along dire predictions, the direr, the faster they spread.

Here's an example, a story tangential to weather reporting but carried by the weathertainment channels, websites, and social media-the upcoming near-conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter this coming Monday night. It's being touted as a "return of the Star of Bethlehem", accompanied by photos of a very bright star, as we see on Christmas cards and in Christmas movies. It will be nothing of the sort. Jupiter is visible in the southwest at sundown, and you can see for yourself that it's not much brighter than stars like Rigel or Betelguese in Orion. Saturn is visible just to the southwest of Jupiter, and it's not very bright at all. And when they are closer than a fraction of a degree, they won't be any brighter. But places like AccuWeather are beating the drum for this story, and people just click Share and are all abuzz about the bright star they expect to see. It'll be interesting as astronomical events go. But it will be nothing like the hype. And this is how every weather story is handled.

Will it snow? Probably. Will it be as bad as the blow-drieds and Kewpie dolls make it sound? I doubt it.

Prost!
Brad

The Weather Channel definitely hypes every weather event like the end of times. But that is the nature of 24 hour news. And in some places a few miles one way or the other determines whether you will get a foot of snow or only a few inches. The funniest thing is when they give storms names that they seemingly just make up for TV. But a big snow event is coming tomorrow for many folks. Like something out of The Shining.

I am still a skeptic and here is why:

A. Winter Storm Warning Issued for Maryland - quote - Portions of northern and western Maryland, northwest Virginia and eastern West Virginia WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 12 to 18 inchesthis is Mountains basically, so not sure why this appears for my town.

B. I just looked at the actual National Weather Service Hourly Forecast - start "snow showers" 10AM Wednesday through 6AM Thursday with several hours of Wintry Mix and Rain/Snow

Ok, so knowing my luck we will get the heavy snow, but I am still a skeptic, lots of hype here but how can we get that much snow to lay on the roads when A. Temps have been 50s-60s for a bit in day, B. Rain mixed in C. Temp starting at 30 and rising to 35 by 10PM Wed Night.

For once, I wish they would just lay out the facts as they appear and not Headline Weathertainment. If it snows, great, but all they have done is caused another Wipeout at local grocery stores in the Baltimore Metro Area. I call BS.

I’m afraid no BS. They’re calling for two feet of snow around here. If true it will be the worst storm in three years. I’m sure power will be lost and I’m just glad we have a generator.

Well we are now down to 3 inches and mix of rain, to be continued.
Td

Yeah, earlier in the week they targeted us here in Taunton along the coast as being in the dreaded "jackpot" area, 12 to 18 inches, leaning towards 18.............now two days later, we're downgraded to "only" 11 inches...............but that is also subject to change.

With it rolling in Wednesday night into Thursday and making Thursday a non starter and Friday a messy day, SO glad I got ALL of the Christmas orders on deck out the door today...........but naturally more rolled in early this afternoon and tonight, but they will all go out tomorrow ahead of the storm.

Whether any of them get to where they are going by the 25th is anyones guess, but hey, I did my part, now it's up to FED EX, UPS and USPS..................

They are now predicting that for NW NJ we will receive 10 inches between 6pm and 9pm, 10 inches 9-12, 5.5 12am to 3am and 5.5 3 to 6. That’s 31 inches. Ouch.

They are now predicting that for NW NJ we will receive 10 inches between 6pm and 9pm, 10 inches 9-12, 5.5 12am to 3am and 5.5 3 to 6. That’s 31 inches. Ouch.

so it's going to come down at roughly a 3 inch an hour clip..................that's a classic blizzard if ever there was one.....................best of luck, good thing you have a generator.

so it's going to come down at roughly a 3 inch an hour clip..................that's a classic blizzard if ever there was one.....................best of luck, good thing you have a generator.

You’re not kidding about a generator. Doesn’t get used much but it comes in real handy every now and then. The snow ploy guy is going to be busy on Thursday.

Too long overdue. Bring on the SNOW.... Forecast here 18 + of snow. Have my parka ready. Fire pit and a ready stash of Cigars. Lets do this.

The Scranton to Albany area is going to get pounded. Maybe two feet or more. Along the coast it looks like mostly rain. A few miles inland a foot or more of snow. The snowfall can vary a great deal just within a few miles.

That’s not correct. The predictions come from the government’s National Weather Service, not the Weather Channel or other like minded companies, and they are predicting up to a foot of snow. Frankly, I hope they are wrong but they were right about yesterday so they will unfortunately be right about tomorrow.

And? I don't care if the National Weather Service originates the forecast. I still don't just accept things like this blindly, without asking questions, and I refuse to panic about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back