Lose Weight, Live Longer! (3 Viewers)

You should try my diet. Almost everyday wild rice, chicken and a protein drink. If I have to eat on the run I toss the chicken and rice in the blender with the protein drink. To be honest it taste disgusting but it only takes a few minutes to guzzle it as opposed to sitting down and eating.

I had been a husky child up till 13 when I slimmed down. High school I was skinny.

I began putting on weight when I was about 19/20 working various physical jobs and eating three square per day.

In also took to cycling at least 10 miles per day - mostly commuting to work round trip. This grew to more and eventually I got to 178 lbs at my height of 6'1 - 6'2. My family was worried about my weight but I was lean and agile like you wouldn't believe.

I went to work as a sales rep for a large software company and it was out of control. At my heaviest, I was 240 and feeling horrible and tired. I was at the doctor all the time. So I started cycling again and got down to 220. That didn't feel much better. My knees were hurting.

When I left that job at 30, I immdiately lost 15 pounds. My weight fluctuated from 30 to 33 between 210 and 220.

Just before last Thanksgiving, my body began screaming at me due to my stress level. My grandmother passed away and my girlfriend of 9 years and I split up for what seemed like it would for good. My body had had enough of this and forced me to eat right and excercise. Which I am doing.

My diet consisted of the most hearty salads you will ever see.

My "diet salad" is this:

Big clamshell of actual salad greens (lettuce has no nutritional value)
Marinated artichoke hearts (I buy the big containers at Costco)
Middle Eastern stuffed Grape Leaves in olive oil and lemon juice
Mushrooms - marinated or raw
String beans, fava beans, red beans
Ground up raw cashews and dried mango (chop them up fine in a blender)
one whole cucumber

There are several dressings I make which I can provide recipes for

For protein - either one of the following but not a large portion - a few cuts unless its fish:

Lamb with salt pepper and lemon juice
Chuck steak - salt and pepper or my ginger dressing I make from scratch
Marinated herring fillets (among the best sources of protein ever put on Earth)
Chicken - though I don't like chicken

Theres other things I'll eat to but if you want to lose weight and keep your body prepped for excercies the above will help.

Also, most things I cook I use sesame seed oil for instead of most other oils. It is very healthy and has a great flavor.

Lastly, I do not go anywhere near fast food - nothing, none of it. It is poison. I read ingredients and will not eat anything that is overly processed.

Eat as fresh and local as possible. It doesn't take long to make these things, it just takes some adjustment and provisioning.

..........................................................................................

Gideon excellent post!

You should try my diet. Almost everyday wild rice, chicken and a protein drink. If I have to eat on the run I toss the chicken and rice in the blender with the protein drink. To be honest it taste disgusting but it only takes a few minutes to guzzle it as opposed to sitting down and eating.

The problem with "special diets" I believe it people get tired of them and switch back to their old routine which puts the pounds right back on.

I have simply given up Snapple, and Soft drinks, choosing to drink instead water, and usually one Coke Zero a day for the carbonation. I try and eat pasta and chicken (grilled) but really am enjoying my food. I begin with a serving of Oatmeal with fresh fruit on top and have been making excellent progress down 28 pounds in 6 weeks.

Today 234!

Excellent John,

I have just bought some Coke Zero, it's not bad although I think the Aspartame will kill me LOL

Oatmeal is a great way to start the day !!! (my problem is the amount if sugar I put on it :D )

The problem with "special diets" I believe it people get tired of them and switch back to their old routine which puts the pounds right back on.

I have simply given up Snapple, and Soft drinks, choosing to drink instead water, and usually one Coke Zero a day for the carbonation. I try and eat pasta and chicken (grilled) but really am enjoying my food. I begin with a serving of Oatmeal with fresh fruit on top and have been making excellent progress down 28 pounds in 6 weeks.
Today 234!

This is how weight loss should be – gradual, this way the body can adjust and the excess stays off.

Well done.

Jeff

Instead of drinking any soda, try carbonated water and apple juice. Its really refreshing in hot weather.

Excellent John,

I have just bought some Coke Zero, it's not bad although I think the Aspartame will kill me LOL

Oatmeal is a great way to start the day !!! (my problem is the amount if sugar I put on it :D )

..............................................................................................

I limit myself to one a day (coke zero) because I like the carbonation. I can't
stand the taste of tonic, or club soda.

For your Oatmeal, I use fresh fruit, blueberrys, strawberrys, today I had both with a side of cantelope pleanty of natural sweetness.

Another late night thing I enjoy are pickles (I like Crunch Baby DIlls) and a bottle of ice cold water. Most pickles are 5 calories, you really can't beat that!

Wife says I no longer look like the Fatman at the circus.........I'll hold off a while yet until I allow photos!:D

This is how weight loss should be – gradual, this way the body can adjust and the excess stays off.

Well done.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff!

The main reason I am posting this is to show others that you can take off the excess weight without any crazy diets or "Wonder Pills"

First you have to want to do it, then you have to take a hard look at the number of calories you are consuming a day.......most people would be amazed! I was drinking a large bottle of Snapple (quart) mixed with 16oz of water daily. I thought I was doing good until I read the label and realized I was drinking 1000 calories a day just in Snapple!:D

Instead of drinking any soda, try carbonated water and apple juice. Its really refreshing in hot weather.

Gideon, its interesting that you mention Apple Juice, a few years ago I drank it and lost quite a bit of weight but grew tired of it.....and put the weight back on. This time I read the lable and its loaded with calories.

I also like Sunmaid Raisns and picked up a large box to put next to my chair to eat while I watched tv. I read the label and saw that box was nearly 900 calories. I'm sure its natural sugar, but I now know 3500 Calories = 1 pound and I'm not adding anymore pounds of fat if I can help it!:)

John, if you can get it try Crystal Geyser sparkling water. They are citrus flavoured. Nancy and I really enjoy them. Coke Zero is great!

Let's face it , most of us do not eat well. Food Network has some great shows on preparing food in new and interesting ways. Diabetic magazines have great recipes for food low in sugar and low in fat. You can also find these kinds of recipes on line. Just google it. Or, pm me for links. Diabetics have to watch for fat as well as carbs.

Here is one link to give you an idea.

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com...=dm17.384505&esrc=nwdlo51_09&email=1759030239

Last edited:
Tomorrow will be interesting. Since its fathers day my wife is making my favorite plate, Chicken Parm, with garlic/dill red skin potatoes and garlic bread. My parents and my sister and her family are coming over and we are gonna make a day out of it. Since its suppose to be near 90 I think the pool might just be utilized to swim a couple laps or so to work off the fathers day feast.

John, if you can get it try Crystal Geyser sparkling water. They are citrus flavoured. Nancy and I really enjoy them. Coke Zero is great!

Let's face it , most of us do not eat well. Food Network has some great shows on preparing food in new and interesting ways. Diabetic magazines have great recipes for food low in sugar and low in fat. You can also find these kinds of recipes on line. Just google it. Or, pm me for links. Diabetics have to watch for fat as well as carbs.

Here is one link to give you an idea.

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com...=dm17.384505&esrc=nwdlo51_09&email=1759030239

Thank you Michael, I appreciate it. I agree most of us do not eat well, all you have to do is watch a few minutes of TV and see all the junk food on display encouraging us to visit today for their 1800 Calorie artery clogging
treat!:eek: There are at least a good 1/2 dozen of these type commercials every hour.

As for the water, we both like Dasani water. It is crisp, clean with no taste and excellent cold. I like to pop a bottle in the freezer about 10 minutes before a meal.......you can't beat it............and I have Coke Stock!:D

Tomorrow will be interesting. Since its fathers day my wife is making my favorite plate, Chicken Parm, with garlic/dill red skin potatoes and garlic bread. My parents and my sister and her family are coming over and we are gonna make a day out of it. Since its suppose to be near 90 I think the pool might just be utilized to swim a couple laps or so to work off the fathers day feast.

Happy fathers day, and enjoy your meal, it sounds great! The main point about what I'm doing is there is no magic solution. No scheme, no pills, no running 10 miles, or biking across the county. You simply look at what you are eating, read the label and decide do I want to eat Ritz crackers and find my pants to tight........or the same number of Triscuit crackers and have to wear a belt with the same pair of pants?

I love T-Shirts I decided I wasn't going to move up to Circus Tent size and wind up using my prized assortment for rags.:D

Uh oh......stalled at 234 but I guess thats to be expected after eating out

Sat & Sunday for fathersday!:eek:

Wow still stuck at 234 I think those two father's day meal threw my system

off! I have to get back on track!:D

Nope, have to get my system back to burning fat instead of producing it!

My theory is your body believes it is either time to store fat, or burn it.....and

I think my two diners out for fathers day (Sat & Sun) flipped the old switch.:D

I hope to get back on schedule shortly.:D

Still stuck at 234 but after working in 120 degree attic for last couple of days

repairing airconditioning venting I think I'm posed for another reduction.:D

We will see tomorrow!

Lost a couple pounds myself. I have been reading the labels, it's amazing the fat that is in our foods and what other things that you can substitute and it still be tasty :)

Lost a couple pounds myself. I have been reading the labels, it's amazing the fat that is in our foods and what other things that you can substitute and it still be tasty :)

Good for you! I agree completely, if you start reading the labels you will be

suprised at the number of calories we consume daily from many products that

we thought were ok! I picked up a copy of "Eat This Not That" which is a fun

read! It clearly shows you which items to buy and which to avoid in all the

different catagories. You can lose weight and not be hungry, or eat stuff you

don't care for. You can lose weight and satisfy your hunger both at the same

time. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back