Masters of the Air (1 Viewer)

I recently added Apple TV to my increasing list of streaming aps to check out Masters of the Air and catch up on the latest season of Slow Horses, an MI5 based series which I can highly recommend.

Firstly, why call the series Masters of the Air, I don't think any Allied Aircrew would have felt they were Masters of the Air over Germany, especially earlier in the European Air War. And of course there were the usual myths, e.g. the 'amazing' Norden Bombsight and B-17 Airgunners shooting down heaps of fighters, reminded me of the old 12 O'clock High TV series. It's well documented that the Brits and Germans had better Bombsights, the Germans already had examples of the Norden and considered it inferior to theirs.

Allied Bombers (Day and Night) rarely shot down German Fighters, especially in head on attacks which they tended to use against B-17s. Those 1/2 inch Brownings packed some punch, but I suspect they were more dangerous to other bombers than any enemy fighters. And of course there was the usual 'British' Night Vs US Day bombing argument, plus the now usual PC input. And don't get me started on any Lancaster Vs B-17 debate :wink2: ^&grin

Sooo, pretty much what I expected. However, as the series progressed I grew to appreciate how incredibly brave those guys were, they were often young and inexperienced crew led by young and inexperienced officers, and like the crews in Sherman tanks, they just kept coming at the Germans until the end :salute::

.....with all that lead flying about I'm sure 'friendly fire' resulted in some un-intended casualties too. The pre-mature dropping of pay-loads was also a major problem and also resulted in many allied lives ending as a consequence.

I recall more than one Kiwi WW2 Italian campaign veteran venting his anger towards the US air force for continuously dropping loads on their own troops around Monte Cassino. I still remember my neighbour a WW2 vet telling me how they would run to their fox-holes when the Allied bombers approached.

The idea of precision bombing during WW2 was a myth and over stated.

Yes the bombers did loads of good, however it came at a cost for those on the ground too.

.....with all that lead flying about I'm sure 'friendly fire' resulted in some un-intended casualties too. The pre-mature dropping of pay-loads was also a major problem and also resulted in many allied lives ending as a consequence.

I recall more than one Kiwi WW2 Italian campaign veteran venting his anger towards the US air force for continuously dropping loads on their own troops around Monte Cassino. I still remember my neighbour a WW2 vet telling me how they would run to their fox-holes when the Allied bombers approached.

Yes the bombers did loads of good, however it came at a cost for those on the ground too.

At the beginning of Operation Cobra, the breakout from bocage country in Normandy, "shorts" from the USAAF carpet bombing killed LtGen McNair, 100 other troops and wounded 500 thus decimating an entire frontline battalion.

I liked the show, but always watch historical ones with the knowledge the producers produce entertainment first facts second.
Did quick check on how many heavy bombers the US produced in WW2, B17, B24, B29 .... 34,889!
The B24 the most produced heavy bomber at 18,188, 287 of which were in RAAF service, 33 were lost in action.

Watching the series again, still can't get over how they waved the waist guns around like that, but I guess it scared the fighter pilots somewhat and better than nothing. Bombing accuracy did improve towards the end of WW2, however Medium to High level bombing is not the best method, Dive Bombers were much more accurate, but never 100%.

The WW2 Myths and Propaganda is still evident in media today, amazing what people believe.

I finally got around to watching Oppenheimer last night on Netflix, the First hour or so was poor, the movie did improve but not a great movie by any means imo. I've seen much better documentaries on the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back