Mel Gibson as a director (4 Viewers)

But my award for biggest load of ****e i've seen in a long time..goes to 'National Treasure' with Nicolas Cage (hardly an engaging actor himself).In this we are treated to a truly insulting depiction of a Brit by the clearly out of work Sean Bean,who it appears missing 'Sharpe' clearly signed up for any old dog mess of a film that landed on his kitchen table.

Don't even get me started on U571:rolleyes:

Rob

Rob, I liked National Treasure. It is not a National Geographic documentary, but had plenty of action, a nice and fanciful plot, and a bit of romance! What else can one of expect from a movie?
:D

I liked Sean Bean as well, I was wondering if they cast him because of his accent?
;)

Cheers...

Uthred

Rob, I liked National Treasure. It is not a National Geographic documentary, but had plenty of action, a nice and fanciful plot, and a bit of romance! What else can one of expect from a movie?

I liked Sean Bean as well, I was wondering if they cast him because of his accent?
;)

Cheers...

Uthred

I wish i had your patience Uthred!;).

Sean Bean does have a strong northern accent doesn't he,he has been in some good things to be fair to him.:)

Rob

I wish i had your patience Uthred!;).

Sean Bean does have a strong northern accent doesn't he,he has been in some good things to be fair to him.:)

Rob

Rob, I'm not sure I'm really a patient man. I think I have what one may call "Brazilian laissez-faire", if you know what I mean...
;)

Cheers...

Uthred

To broaden it out a bit there is no doubt Hollywood in general does see the Brits as the stereotype bad guy,and whilst its easy to laugh at some of it,after a while it really starts to p*** me off.I really enjoyed the film 'I am Legend',but even there the reckless scientist whose bad practice caused the whole thing....yep you guessed it Emma Thompson.The only Brit in the film,plumped down in the middle of it as the bad guy.

But my award for biggest load of ****e i've seen in a long time..goes to 'National Treasure' with Nicolas Cage (hardly an engaging actor himself).In this we are treated to a truly insulting depiction of a Brit by the clearly out of work Sean Bean,who it appears missing 'Sharpe' clearly signed up for any old dog mess of a film that landed on his kitchen table.

Rob
LOL Rob, steady on mate.;):D I am afraid I am going to have to go with Uthred on this one; I also rather like National Treasure, not as great cinema but as a fun romp. Sean almost steals the film IMHO and is an example of a very sympathetic villain. In fact I think you may find that it is quite natural to empathize with many of those other villainous Brits you note.;) As I have said before (almost as many times as you have brought this up:D), I think the real reason why more Brits are given villains roles is that it is the more difficult part and they are some of the best actors around.

Anyway, I can see I will have to stash a good portion (including U571:eek:) of my video collection if I can ever get you to visit, lest you take me for an Anglophobe in Anglophile trappings.;):D Well perhaps at least until I can ply you with the requisite juice.:D

Thats right mate,then Geri Halliwell jumps on a London Bus and drives to Berlin,where after a Romance with Herman the German she teaches Himmler that underneath our clothes we are all the same and we should all be friends.The only poor part of the film is where Posh Spice climbs to the top of the Reichstag and sings 'We are the world';)

Rob

I thought Simon was the funniest chap on the forum now that Kevin rarely posts, but that definitely puts you in the running, mate!!:D:p;)

P.S. Kevin says "No it doesn't!!":D:p

To broaden it out a bit there is no doubt Hollywood in general does see the Brits as the stereotype bad guy,and whilst its easy to laugh at some of it,after a while it really starts to p*** me off.I really enjoyed the film 'I am Legend',but even there the reckless scientist whose bad practice caused the whole thing....yep you guessed it Emma Thompson.The only Brit in the film,plumped down in the middle of it as the bad guy.

Rob

Rob, let's face it mate. Hollywood aren't going to put an American in a baddie role if they can possibly help it. And in these pc days they can't make the guy look to be from a minority group without expecting some backlash. Maybe it's time more Aussies were placed in the baddie role in movies. I would be happy to be get paid lots of money for being the baddie in a movie, my role here doesn't pay very well ;) :D

Rob, let's face it mate. Hollywood aren't going to put an American in a baddie role if they can possibly help it. And in these pc days they can't make the guy look to be from a minority group without expecting some backlash. Maybe it's time more Aussies were placed in the baddie role in movies. I would be happy to be get paid lots of money for being the baddie in a movie, my role here doesn't pay very well ;) :D

Sure, they do it all the time, he just has to be a WASP and the head of a corporation ;)

LOL! The idea of Bill hiding his dvd's before i get there brings a smile!

Thank you Louis,to be mentioned in the same sentence as my two fellow Brits is a rare honour mate.Did i mention i have more hair than both of them?;)

Oz,I may have painted with too big a brush.I understand they are making a sympathetic musical of the life of another legendary Brit starring Dick Van Dyke,to be called 'Jack the Ripper-he still had a heart';)

Rob

I always enjoy both the Mel Gibson and John Wayne threads,such larks!:D

Sure, they do it all the time, he just has to be a WASP and the head of a corporation ;)

LOL - I wonder if Mel Gibson would like being cast in a WASP role. The funniest head of a corporation role that I have seen for some time was played by Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder. I guess Tom is in the WASP category, but he may insist on an alien classification considering his beliefs. Hey, maybe we will see Tom playing a mini-me alien in the next Predator movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back