Mike Tarantino's Toy Soldier Collection (2 Viewers)

I received a PM asking where one might find Saint George's Cross sets, so I thought I would answer hear to save some of you the trouble of looking for them. Lead Army's website does not indicate that they carry these sets anymore. At one time, Michigan Toy Soldier carried them, but currently their website only has single figure kits from Saint George's Cross. When I did a Google search, I got eBay and other auctions. I don't recall seeing them in March in Sergei's room at the West Coaster, either. You might want to contact him directly at info@leadarmy.com.

This is the first of three Saint George's Cross sets that I have from the Russian Civil War. BTW, there is a flag bearer version of each of these three sets, none of which I have, but would like to have. They are really unique and colorful since the flags are Russian Orthodox Church themed. In any case, set #3941 is the White Russian Guards, Alekseesky Regiment, 1919-1921.

Attachments

• 3941 White Russian Guards Alekseevsky Regt 1919-1921.JPG
    3941 White Russian Guards Alekseevsky Regt 1919-1921.JPG
    502.2 KB · Views: 208
  • 3941.JPG
    3941.JPG
    388 KB · Views: 210
  • 3941 (2).JPG
    3941 (2).JPG
    282.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 3941 ofcr.JPG
    3941 ofcr.JPG
    271.2 KB · Views: 196
As most Trophy collectors know, Trophy figures evolved over the years. There are the early oval bases, then rectangular bases with "skinny" figures, then rectangular bases with "robust" figures, and finally terrain bases with "robust" figures. To me, the glory years were when they produced the robust figures. Almost my entire Trophy collection---Zulu War, Boxer Rebellion, Egypt & Sudan, and Indian Army---is composed of figures from this production period. I really wasn't so happy when they went to their last phase, which was the terrain bases, which seemed to me to be an attempt to go with the newest trends (at that time) epitomized by King & Country and Frontline. I think Len was missing the point that his classic, glossy 54mm figures could and did stand on their own against those matte competitors. So, in the end I didn't buy many of the sets with terrain bases. I have just a few from the American Civil War. I would be interested in hearing from any of you as to what you think.

Hi Mike,

As a relative latecomer to collecting Trophy, I am no expert, but here are some of my personal experiences and views as a modest Trophy collector. My first introduction to Trophy was in the Guards Toy Soldier Shop in London in 2005. I was looking for gloss 54mm AZW figures to replace my plastic 1/72 scale ESCI figures. The two dear ladies in attendance were kind enough to unlock the glass cabinets to facilitate my inspection and examination of all the gloss 54mm AZW figures on offer. I was thoroughly impressed by the shiny gloss finish and “robust” appearance of Trophy figures and so started my collection. If I had known Trophy would close for business in 2006, I would have purchased many more Trophy sets at retail prices then.

My preference is for Classic Trophy relative to Dragon Crest. Although Dragon Crest sets show greater sculpting detail (plus terrain bases), the paint finish appears somewhat less glossy than Classic Trophy. I think a good example of the difference in paint finish is the Classic Trophy 21st Lancers compared to the equivalent Dragon Crest sets. Both versions are excellent, but I do prefer the shiny gloss of Classic Trophy and the standard rectangular bases. I just wonder if the Dragon Crest range was a trial by Trophy to produce more detailed figures with terrain bases in the direction of an eventual matte paint finish.

Best Wishes, Raymond :)

Hi Mike,

As a relative latecomer to collecting Trophy, I am no expert, but here are some of my personal experiences and views as a modest Trophy collector. My first introduction to Trophy was in the Guards Toy Soldier Shop in London in 2005. I was looking for gloss 54mm AZW figures to replace my plastic 1/72 scale ESCI figures. The two dear ladies in attendance were kind enough to unlock the glass cabinets to facilitate my inspection and examination of all the gloss 54mm AZW figures on offer. I was thoroughly impressed by the shiny gloss finish and “robust” appearance of Trophy figures and so started my collection. If I had known Trophy would close for business in 2006, I would have purchased many more Trophy sets at retail prices then.

My preference is for Classic Trophy relative to Dragon Crest. Although Dragon Crest sets show greater sculpting detail (plus terrain bases), the paint finish appears somewhat less glossy than Classic Trophy. I think a good example of the difference in paint finish is the Classic Trophy 21st Lancers compared to the equivalent Dragon Crest sets. Both versions are excellent, but I do prefer the shiny gloss of Classic Trophy and the standard rectangular bases. I just wonder if the Dragon Crest range was a trial by Trophy to produce more detailed figures with terrain bases in the direction of an eventual matte paint finish.

Best Wishes, Raymond :)

Hi Raymond,

I am with you on the timing of Trophy's leaving the toy soldier business; had I known at the time, I would have bought a lot more of their available sets. Here in the states, Trophy changed over to a master distributor (Trophy of Texas) which caused many of my previous Trophy sources to stop carrying the line.

I don't own a single Dragon Crest set, so your observations are enlightening. I kind of asked Martyn a similar question in an earlier post here and he said he would ask Len what was behind the shift to terrain bases.

Best regards,

Thanks Mike. As to your and Raymond's speculation about Dragon Crest's purpose, I asked Len about that. He said Dragon Crest was formed to see what his new apprentices could do under the direction of his son Stuart. Although Len did produce a few matte sets for special orders, he was a "glossy" toy soldier maker. Hope this gives some insight. Tommy

Thanks Mike. As to your and Raymond's speculation about Dragon Crest's purpose, I asked Len about that. He said Dragon Crest was formed to see what his new apprentices could do under the direction of his son Stuart. Although Len did produce a few matte sets for special orders, he was a "glossy" toy soldier maker. Hope this gives some insight. Tommy

It does, thanks Tommy.

This is Saint George's Cross set #3945 White Russian Guards, Kornilovsky Regiment, 1919-1921. It uses the same castings as set #3941 previously posted above.

Attachments

• 3945  White Russian Guards Kornilovsy Regt 1919-1921.JPG
    3945 White Russian Guards Kornilovsy Regt 1919-1921.JPG
    461.6 KB · Views: 216
  • 3945 (1).JPG
    3945 (1).JPG
    386 KB · Views: 217
  • 3945.JPG
    3945.JPG
    440.9 KB · Views: 231
Here is the last Saint George's Cross Russian Civil War set I have. It did not come in an original box like the previous two sets did, but its' box says they are White Guard Infantry, 1919. I remember seeing one set of Bosheviks, but like communism in general, they just were no where as colorful and interesting as the anti-communist White Russian sets.

Attachments

• White Guard Inf, 1919 (1).JPG
    White Guard Inf, 1919 (1).JPG
    334.8 KB · Views: 297
  • White Guard Inf Officer,1919.JPG
    White Guard Inf Officer,1919.JPG
    291.3 KB · Views: 233
  • White Guard Inf, 1919 (2).JPG
    White Guard Inf, 1919 (2).JPG
    310.6 KB · Views: 216
  • White Guard Inf, 1919 (3).JPG
    White Guard Inf, 1919 (3).JPG
    277.1 KB · Views: 187
This is an example of an early Trophy of Wales 24th Regiment of Foot set, standing and kneeling firing, from the Zulu War. Note the old red and white rectangular box, the "skinny" sculpts, and the lack of white detail above the green cuffs triangle.

Attachments

• 100_2365.JPG
    100_2365.JPG
    399.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 100_2366.JPG
    100_2366.JPG
    386.8 KB · Views: 204
This is an example of an early Trophy of Wales 24th Regiment of Foot set, standing and kneeling firing, from the Zulu War. Note the old red and white rectangular box, the "skinny" sculpts, and the lack of white detail above the green cuffs triangle.

Hi Mike

You have a very nice set of figures there. The box may have set# Z.2 written on it

Cheers

Martyn:)

Hi Mike

You have a very nice set of figures there. The box may have set# Z.2 written on it

Cheers

Martyn:)

Hi Martyn,

Yes, in fact it does. There is a plain paper, typed end-label which says on two lines: "Set No. Z-2 24th Foot firing Zulu War." Do you know what years Trophy used this smooth white box with the red label before switching over to the more familar red label?

Hi Martyn,

Yes, in fact it does. There is a plain paper, typed end-label which says on two lines: "Set No. Z-2 24th Foot firing Zulu War." Do you know what years Trophy used this smooth white box with the red label before switching over to the more familar red label?

Oops! I meant to say red box.

Here is another Trophy set I picked up which came in a white box; there was no label on the box. It is actually a mixed set of the 24th Foot with some early skinny figures and some later robust figures. Interestingly, the early kneeling figures are on bases with back packs while the later robust figures have neither. The final mystery is why both versions of the standing figures have bases and pack packs. As mentioned previously, the later figures have more cuff detail. Another difference is that they are wearing different helmets.

Attachments

• 100_2384.JPG
    100_2384.JPG
    421 KB · Views: 196
  • 100_2385.JPG
    100_2385.JPG
    380.8 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_2386.JPG
    100_2386.JPG
    364.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 100_2387.JPG
    100_2387.JPG
    443.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 100_2388.JPG
    100_2388.JPG
    409 KB · Views: 177
Here is Trophy's ZS1A The Command Set from the Zulu War which I don't have on display. I wonder if the horse might be from another set since its' base is brown rather than green. The set came in the correct box. I bet Marytn can shed some light on this.

Attachments

• 100_2379.JPG
    100_2379.JPG
    441.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 100_2380.JPG
    100_2380.JPG
    475.1 KB · Views: 199

Users who are viewing this thread

Back