Mike Tarantino's Toy Soldier Collection (1 Viewer)

Here is Trophy's ZS1A The Command Set from the Zulu War which I don't have on display. I wonder if the horse might be from another set since its' base is brown rather than green. The set came in the correct box. I bet Marytn can shed some light on this.

Hi Mike

Looks like the horse belongs to an Officer involved in the Egyptian/Sudan campaigns, they had brown bases. I also think that the Officer in Blue jacket and White trousers is from the big box set "Front Rank Reload" (Tan helmets - Isandlwana version). I don't have this set but I have seen sets with him in place He is a very nice variant ^&cool

Cheers

Martyn:)

Hi Mike

Looks like the horse belongs to an Officer involved in the Egyptian/Sudan campaigns, they had brown bases. I also think that the Officer in Blue jacket and White trousers is from the big box set "Front Rank Reload" (Tan helmets - Isandlwana version). I don't have this set but I have seen sets with him in place He is a very nice variant ^&cool

Cheers

Thanks Martyn, that is what I suspected. The description on the label says: "Mtd. Officer, Officer on Foot/Pistol, Sergeant, Bugler." Have you seen this set with the officer on foot in a different uniform and pose?

Thanks Martyn, that is what I suspected. The description on the label says: "Mtd. Officer, Officer on Foot/Pistol, Sergeant, Bugler." Have you seen this set with the officer on foot in a different uniform and pose?

Hi Mike

Yes I have got the Officer in different uniform colours but all with the same pose as your one. In fact our good friend Joe (The Lt) uses the 24th version as his avatar.

I had a nice chat with Len this afternoon and he sends his best to everyone but he is a bit under the weather at the moment. This didn't prevent him talking about his beloved Trophy and he answered a couple of the questions you raised. First off the Red boxes were first used in the mid 1980's when the Trophy factory really started, prior to this figures were dispatched in smaller white boxes that in the main contained a single figure or two. The first Red boxes were all red ie: lid and base but to reduce costs the red base was discontinued and substituted with a white base, obviously the red lid was retained until the end.

Oval bases were used on all Trophy figures produced for "Under Two Flags", once the Trophy name started up on it's own the bases became rectangular but Len retained the oval bases on his marching with slung rifles figures.

Terrain bases appeared after they were tried out on Hand 2 Hand sets and proved so popular, this was from the mid 1990's, no other Company influenced his decision. Len told me he was very reluctant to use terrain bases on marching sets because they would not allow the columns of troops to be displayed as close together as marching sets deserved, he told me my Boer War Highlanders are quite rare ^&grin :wink2: ^&cool

Cheers

Hi Mike

Yes I have got the Officer in different uniform colours but all with the same pose as your one. In fact our good friend Joe (The Lt) uses the 24th version as his avatar.

I had a nice chat with Len this afternoon and he sends his best to everyone but he is a bit under the weather at the moment. This didn't prevent him talking about his beloved Trophy and he answered a couple of the questions you raised. First off the Red boxes were first used in the mid 1980's when the Trophy factory really started, prior to this figures were dispatched in smaller white boxes that in the main contained a single figure or two. The first Red boxes were all red ie: lid and base but to reduce costs the red base was discontinued and substituted with a white base, obviously the red lid was retained until the end.

Oval bases were used on all Trophy figures produced for "Under Two Flags", once the Trophy name started up on it's own the bases became rectangular but Len retained the oval bases on his marching with slung rifles figures.

Terrain bases appeared after they were tried out on Hand 2 Hand sets and proved so popular, this was from the mid 1990's, no other Company influenced his decision. Len told me he was very reluctant to use terrain bases on marching sets because they would not allow the columns of troops to be displayed as close together as marching sets deserved, he told me my Boer War Highlanders are quite rare ^&grin :wink2: ^&cool

Cheers

Hi Martyn,

Thank you for the information on the various subjects I had inquired about. I really appreciate it. That clears up a lot of gaps in my knowledge about Trophy's history. Regarding the oval bases: I have four sets with oval bases, all of which have the TM marks on their bottoms. Interestingly, two of those sets are from the RO series where they are marching at the slope. Do you know whether the "Under Two Flags" sets were marked on their bases or not? That was my problem with the idea of terrain bases, too.

Finally, would you mind posting any photos you have of those rare Boer War Highlanders here? Thanks.

Hi Martyn,

Thank you for the information on the various subjects I had inquired about. I really appreciate it. That clears up a lot of gaps in my knowledge about Trophy's history. Regarding the oval bases: I have four sets with oval bases, all of which have the TM marks on their bottoms. Interestingly, two of those sets are from the RO series where they are marching at the slope. Do you know whether the "Under Two Flags" sets were marked on their bases or not? That was my problem with the idea of terrain bases, too.

Finally, would you mind posting any photos you have of those rare Boer War Highlanders here? Thanks.

Hi Mike

Len told me that none of the "Under Two Flags" have the TM mark as the owner of "Under Two Flags", ''Jock'' Coutts, did not want them marked.

Here are my Boer War, Black Watch Highlanders with the terrain bases

BW-1.jpg

and here are the matching Black Watch Pipers

piper7.jpg

The Column

BWHB.jpg

Cheers

Hi Mike

Len told me that none of the "Under Two Flags" have the TM mark as the owner of "Under Two Flags", ''Jock'' Coutts, did not want them marked.

Here are my Boer War, Black Watch Highlanders with the terrain bases

BW-1.jpg

and here are the matching Black Watch Pipers

piper7.jpg

The Column

BWHB.jpg

Cheers

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for clearing up that final point regarding "Under Two Flags." I knew I had seen your Boer War Black Watch Highlanders before, but all I can say on seeing them again is "Oh my gawd! What an incredible display." It is really something to behold, even with terrain bases, for any Trophy collector. Thanks for sharing them here.

Best regards,

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for clearing up that final point regarding "Under Two Flags." I knew I had seen your Boer War Black Watch Highlanders before, but all I can say on seeing them again is "Oh my gawd! What an incredible display." It is really something to behold, even with terrain bases, for any Trophy collector. Thanks for sharing them here.

Best regards,

Many thanks Mike :salute::

Cheers

This is another Trophy set in my collection that I don't have room to display. It is set EQ47 Indian Artillery Gun Battery. I would also love to pick up the Boxer Rebellion version of this set where they are wearing khaki and have gray bases.

Attachments

• 100_2413.JPG
    100_2413.JPG
    464.8 KB · Views: 234
  • 100_2414.JPG
    100_2414.JPG
    412.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 100_2415.JPG
    100_2415.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 223
  • 100_2416.JPG
    100_2416.JPG
    405 KB · Views: 226
Mike, that is a beautiful Trophy artillery set. The Trophy Indian Army figures are just tremendous.
Martyn, that is one impressive Highlander grouping you have there. Very colorful.
Boy, am I ever sorry Trophy went out of business. :( -- Al

This is another Trophy set in my collection that I don't have room to display. It is set EQ47 Indian Artillery Gun Battery. I would also love to pick up the Boxer Rebellion version of this set where they are wearing khaki and have gray bases.

Hi Mike

Very nice set :salute::

I have the same set in blue uniforms but with gray bases, one of those "variants" again :wink2:

Cheers

Thanks Al and Martyn, it is a great set and another fine example of Trophy's artillery sets.

This is another non-displayed Trophy set I have. It is set EQ50 The King's Own Scottish Borderers Maxim Gun Detachment, North West Frontier.

Attachments

• 100_2430.JPG
    100_2430.JPG
    371.3 KB · Views: 244
  • 100_2431.JPG
    100_2431.JPG
    340.9 KB · Views: 248
  • 100_2432.JPG
    100_2432.JPG
    325.4 KB · Views: 253
Here is another non-displayed Trophy set that I have in my collection. It is ZS30 the 24th Regiment of Foot, Kneeling Firing Set.

Attachments

• 100_2381.JPG
    100_2381.JPG
    505.1 KB · Views: 227
  • 100_2382.JPG
    100_2382.JPG
    482.8 KB · Views: 251
  • 100_2383.JPG
    100_2383.JPG
    343.4 KB · Views: 220
I bought this Trophy set at an auction. It is HLS6 Highland Brigade Gordons. I particularly like the colour sergeant who has a face which is different from the typical figure produced during this period. Martyn, have you seen it used anywhere else?

Attachments

• 100_2408.JPG
    100_2408.JPG
    485.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 100_2409.JPG
    100_2409.JPG
    480 KB · Views: 214
  • 100_2410.JPG
    100_2410.JPG
    333.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 100_2411.JPG
    100_2411.JPG
    333.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 100_2412.JPG
    100_2412.JPG
    307.8 KB · Views: 229
I bought this Trophy set at an auction. It is HLS6 Highland Brigade Gordons. I particularly like the colour sergeant who has a face which is different from the typical figure produced during this period. Martyn, have you seen it used anywhere else?

Hi Mike

Len used the same figure as his Colour Sergeant in all the Highland Brigade on Parade sets I have, he certainly looks a veteran of several campaigns and would also look great as a Naval Brigade sailor

My Highland Brigade Sergeants are shown here

http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/album.php?albumid=494

Cheers

Hi Mike

Len used the same figure as his Colour Sergeant in all the Highland Brigade on Parade sets I have, he certainly looks a veteran of several campaigns and would also look great as a Naval Brigade sailor

My Highland Brigade Sergeants are shown here

http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/album.php?albumid=494

Cheers

Hi Martyn,

Thanks for the information on the colour sergeant. I checked out your Highland Brigade link; it is a handsome figure. Also, thanks for the correction on the set identification. The figures came in a box that identified it as HLS6, but my Trophy catalog stops at HLS5 At The Ready Set, so I didn't know what HLS6 was suppose to be. Checking my catalog, the set I posted above is HP1 Head of the Column, not HLS6, as you pointed out. Thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

Thanks Mike for continuing to share your Trophy collection with us along with your input Martyn it's such a pleasure viewing what Len brought to the Toy Soldier World...Joe{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Thanks Mike for continuing to share your Trophy collection with us along with your input Martyn it's such a pleasure viewing what Len brought to the Toy Soldier World...Joe{bravo}}{bravo}}{bravo}}

Hi Joe,

Your welcome. My Trophy collection and especially Martyn's collection, sure brings home what Len contributed to the hobby. His figures are becoming harder and harder to find, especially at a reasonable price.

This is the only Trophy World War I set I have. It is set No. GW34 6th Magdeburg Dragoon Regiment.

Attachments

• 100_2417.JPG
    100_2417.JPG
    524.1 KB · Views: 206
  • 100_2418.JPG
    100_2418.JPG
    436.7 KB · Views: 182
  • 100_2419.JPG
    100_2419.JPG
    471.5 KB · Views: 183
  • 100_2420.JPG
    100_2420.JPG