Mike Tarantino's Toy Soldier Collection (2 Viewers)

This is a stock photo of Hiriart's Set 1176 THE ROYAL SCOTS FUSILIERS which I added to my collection in 2007. They are wearing their signature small bearskin hats with the metal badge on the front and trews.

Attachments

• 1176 The Royal Scottish Fusiliers.JPG
    1176 The Royal Scottish Fusiliers.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 162
Thanks for the information JB; very interesting stuff about the Number 1 Dress uniforms. I also noticed that Hiriart's Berkshires were carrying Lee-Enfield rifles from the first half of the 20th century. BTW, I don't believe I ever saw you make reference to what regiment you served in. Which one was it? The U.S. Army was fairly straight forward regarding our dress uniforms which were called Class As. In the winter, we wore Class A greens and in the summer, Class A khakis with one of the two types of green caps from the winter uniforms. Luckily, I never had to share them with anyone.

When WW1 ended, only the Household Troops ( Guards and both Cavalry Regts.) retained wearing Dress uniforms - everyone else stayed in Khaki. Dress uniforms were usually purchased by Regiments for the Bands - and maybe some other high profile events. There were some stuttering attempts made at Coronation times - to get the rest of the Army into these "Blue" uniforms - but they never really got off the ground - due to the "Bean Counters" doing their work. My first rifle was a Lee Enfield 303 ( lovely weapon that) - though we changed them for SLR's (7.62mm) sometime around 1960, I think.

Our "best" uniform was the khaki Number 2 outfit - bizarrely worn with a Number 1 Dress Cap ( which WAS issued) - which can actually look quite smart. Summer Dress was shirtsleeve order ( You took the jacket off and rolled your sleeves up and took your tie off!). Working dress for most of the time was combat suit trousers and a Wooly pullover - beret and boots. Hot climates we wore Khaki Drill - with either long trousers or shorts (depending on the insects about!).

I was in the Royal Signals Mike, (Sergeant Radio Operator), and passed through various Divisions Regiments and Squadrons - as both regular and reservist. We always called ourselves the Gypsies of the British Army - as I was always on the move. I finally left the reserves, in 1981.

When WW1 ended, only the Household Troops ( Guards and both Cavalry Regts.) retained wearing Dress uniforms - everyone else stayed in Khaki. Dress uniforms were usually purchased by Regiments for the Bands - and maybe some other high profile events. There were some stuttering attempts made at Coronation times - to get the rest of the Army into these "Blue" uniforms - but they never really got off the ground - due to the "Bean Counters" doing their work. My first rifle was a Lee Enfield 303 ( lovely weapon that) - though we changed them for SLR's (7.62mm) sometime around 1960, I think.

Our "best" uniform was the khaki Number 2 outfit - bizarrely worn with a Number 1 Dress Cap ( which WAS issued) - which can actually look quite smart. Summer Dress was shirtsleeve order ( You took the jacket off and rolled your sleeves up and took your tie off!). Working dress for most of the time was combat suit trousers and a Wooly pullover - beret and boots. Hot climates we wore Khaki Drill - with either long trousers or shorts (depending on the insects about!).

I was in the Royal Signals Mike, (Sergeant Radio Operator), and passed through various Divisions Regiments and Squadrons - as both regular and reservist. We always called ourselves the Gypsies of the British Army - as I was always on the move. I finally left the reserves, in 1981.

Thanks for the interesting information on your service and the uniforms, JB. In 1961, my first rifle was the M-1 Garand 30.06; when I changed duty stations, in 1963, from Turkey to Germany, we were issued the M-14 7.62mm. I almost never wore a Class A uniform, except for travel or a couple of parades. We pretty much wore fatigues with the non-standard issue General Ridgeway cap (of Korean War vintage) that had rigid sides, at all other times. That cap, which we had to buy at the PX, was ultimately replaced by a baseball type cap during the Viet Nam War era after I was discharged from the service, so I never wore it. My Military Occupation Specialty was Radio Teletype Intercept; I learned ( and hated) Morse Code, but fortunately didn't really have to use it much.

Last edited:
This Hiriart set in my collection is 1116 THE ROYAL SUFFOLK REGIMENT where they are wearing winter greatcoats with white web gear.

Attachments

• 1116 THE SUFFOLK REGT, WINTER.JPG
    1116 THE SUFFOLK REGT, WINTER.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 151
This is Hiriart's Set 1014 THE WELSH REGIMENT. It is the only set I have in my collection where they are wearing this particular dress uniform. There is also a 20 man regimental band in the Hiriart catalog, Set 1020, which includes their goat mascot, but I do not have it.

Attachments

• 1014 THE WELSH REGIMENT.JPG
    1014 THE WELSH REGIMENT.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 149
The Royal Suffolks are a sharp looking regiment in the gray coats with white gear. -- Al

The Royal Suffolks are a sharp looking regiment in the gray coats with white gear. -- Al

Thanks Al, I agree. However, if I was ordering this set from Hiriart again, I would do so as a special with a Union Jack flag bearer to give it a little more color: Officer, flag bearer, bugler, and 6 men.

This is a stock photo of my Hiriart Set 1012 THE COLDSTREAM GUARDS wearing winter greatcoats. There is also a Coldstream band in the Hiriart catalog as Set 1024, in greatcoats, which I do not have.

Attachments

• 1012 COLDSTREAM GUARDS, BRITAIN.JPG
    1012 COLDSTREAM GUARDS, BRITAIN.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 142
  • 1012 FLAG.JPG
    1012 FLAG.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 1012 SERGEANT.JPG
    1012 SERGEANT.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 139
This is Hiriart's Set 1121 THE CAMERONIAN RIFLES in their unique uniforms.

Attachments

• 1121 THE CAMERONIAN RIFLES.JPG
    1121 THE CAMERONIAN RIFLES.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 172
This is a stock photo of my Hiriart Set 1112 THE ROYAL IRISH FUSILIERS which differs from my Set 1176 THE ROYAL SCOTS FUSILIERS on post #421 in that they are wearing blue pants with a red stripe and not trews; also, this set has a flag bearer and bugler unlike the Scots who have a piper.

Attachments

• 1112 ROYAL IRISH FUSILIERS.JPG
    1112 ROYAL IRISH FUSILIERS.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 141
Yet another Hiriart set in my collection representing various British Regiments is Set 1117 THE HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY. As an aside, I don't currently have any of Hiriart's cavalry regiments in my collection, but I am rectifying that by ordering about ten of them on my 2014 order.

Attachments

• 1117 HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY.JPG
    1117 HIGHLAND LIGHT INFANTRY.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 147
Seems like your on your way of running out of room Mike but I'm thankful for seeing you share your collection with us...........Joe

Seems like your on your way of running out of room Mike but I'm thankful for seeing you share your collection with us...........Joe

Unfortunately, Joe, I crossed that threshold a long time ago. I have only been able to display about 3,000 figures, or about half of my collection, starting about 10 years ago. It is my pleasure to share my collection with all of you, especially glossy collectors.

Mike

This is Hiriart's Set 1009 THE ROYAL MARINES. The first photo is a stock photo of the catalog set. The next three photos are as I ordered the set with with two flags and two color sergeants plus three extra men.

Attachments

• 1009 The Royal Marines Britain.JPG
    1009 The Royal Marines Britain.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 675
  • 1009 (1).JPG
    1009 (1).JPG
    312.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 1009 (2).JPG
    1009 (2).JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 1009 (3).JPG
    1009 (3).JPG
    362.6 KB · Views: 129
Another British regiment that I have is Hiriart's Set 1092 THE KING'S ROYAL RIFLE CORPS running at the trail.

Attachments

• 1192 The King's Royal Rifle Corps (1).JPG
    1192 The King's Royal Rifle Corps (1).JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 1192 The King's Royal Rifle Corps (2).JPG
    1192 The King's Royal Rifle Corps (2).JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 141
  • 1192 KRRC.JPG
    1192 KRRC.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 134
This is Hiriart's set 1064 THE GREEN HOWARDS REGIMENT. The first photo is a stock photo of the catalog set; the other two are my set as I ordered it with a regimental flag bearer. You may have noticed one of the features I like about Hiriart's labels: most of them are unique and specific to each set.

Attachments

• 1064 The Green Howards Regt Britain.JPG
    1064 The Green Howards Regt Britain.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 1064 (1).JPG
    1064 (1).JPG
    269.1 KB · Views: 144
  • 1064 (2).JPG
    1064 (2).JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 142
This is a stock photo of my Hiriart Set 1209 THE ROYAL MARINE ARTILLERY, EGYPT, 1882.

Attachments

• 1209 Royal Marine Artillery Egypt 1882.JPG
    1209 Royal Marine Artillery Egypt 1882.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 123
I have this non-catalog set on order from Hiriart where the ROYAL MARINE ARTILLERY are wearing greatcoats (obviously not in Egypt) with white web gear, led by a mounted officer. I have also ordered it with two extra men.

Attachments

• 1209 ROYAL MARINE ARTILLERY WINTER.JPG
    1209 ROYAL MARINE ARTILLERY WINTER.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 128
Just an observation that I have taken away from all these marvelous sets and that is Hiriart seems very meticulous when they do their flags, especially the unit/regimental standards. The detail is outstanding on them. -- Al

Just an observation that I have taken away from all these marvelous sets and that is Hiriart seems very meticulous when they do their flags, especially the unit/regimental standards. The detail is outstanding on them. -- Al

Thanks Al, I agree. The last two sets above with regimental flags (Royal Marines and Green Howards) did not include those flags in the regular catalog set, so Hiriart did an outstanding job making them for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back