Movie: BATTLE OF MIDWAY (1 Viewer)

Watch the Charlton Heston MIDWAY, and you'll see F6F Hellcats, SB2C Helldivers, etc.......Heston takes off in an SBD Dauntless and crashes on the carrier deck in an F6F Hellcat.:rolleyes2:

Watch the Charlton Heston MIDWAY, and you'll see F6F Hellcats, SB2C Helldivers, etc.......Heston takes off in an SBD Dauntless and crashes on the carrier deck in an F6F Hellcat.:rolleyes2:

Ah yes ,,a corsair diving,,a hellcat pulling out and a Mustang up and away,,where were the 109s?,,,,and the Constant background Of the Vindicators representing everything from B29s to F86s,,,plus the PC nonsense,,,The new film was about worth the wait,,now if the AHC channel would just get rid of their 20 year old interns doing research starting with Victory at sea pearl harbor effects from 1950

Just back from seeing it. I enjoyed it a lot.
Decently accurate but not fully. Armaments aren’t too accurate. Torpedo bombers would never get off the deck with torpedos and fully loaded with bombs. Also, not a hellcat or Corsair in the movie at all which I found odd. But all in all, ignorable mistakes for 2 hrs of an entertaining war movie!

No comment on your comments,,but I too didnt see a hellcat or corsair,,thankfully,,Actually some torpedo bombers actually took off with torpedos,,no intent to nitpic,,sigh,,do midway 76 for your missing airplanes

My comment was about the torpedo bombers having a torpedo and being fully laden with conventional bombs as well. Did that happen?

My comment was about the torpedo bombers having a torpedo and being fully laden with conventional bombs as well. Did that happen?
Zach, the TBD Devastators that were the USN torpedo planes at Midway could carry torpedoes OR bombs. Standard load was a single 1935 lb. torpedo or a single 1000 lb. bomb, or 3 500 lb. bombs, or 12 100 lb. bombs (6 under each wing). The torpedo alone taxed the performance of the TBD so it wouldn't have carried bombs in addition to the torpedo. The TBD simply didn't have the engine power to carry a combined load. -- Al

' No it did not,,also the Marine Vindicator D Bombers flown from Midway were actually mentioned in the 76 film more then the new,,credit where its due,,I would recommend Walter Lords Book,,Incredible Victory, still good ,,On Midway,,again to credit 76,,the PBYs of the navy were shown a good deal more and mentioned,,I withdraw some nits and pics

Saw this last night. I really enjoyed it. I just wish it had been much longer. I don't expect Hollywood to get everything correct, so I can overlook those things without it becoming a distraction.

Darrell

Saw it yesterday. IMHO I think the script lost too much time in showing events from 1937 to April 42 to create context. It was like delivering pills of information in a senseless way (when would you imagine the top Japanese admiral saying bluntly to the US naval attaché in Tokyo that there would be war if the US embargoed Japan's oil imports???) About 3 or 4 well written introductory paragraphs at the very beginning of the film would set the record and background, and the movie could start covering Coral Sea, and then the main course, Midway, in much greater depth. It is 138 minutes long, and if focused on these 2 battels, it could be significantly smaller in length and bigger in content... More battle scenes (liked them), more characters, and a better portrait of how the whole thing unfolded, both at the frontline and in HQ! Anyway, I had fun watching and its better to have it as is, that not at all!

There are some interesting opinions about the movie that can be found on the Midway Roundtable site, midway42.org, by vets, authors, and film advisors. Some very interesting rivet counting in the October Newsletter. -- Al

Saw it yesterday. IMHO I think the script lost too much time in showing events from 1937 to April 42 to create context. It was like delivering pills of information in a senseless way (when would you imagine the top Japanese admiral saying bluntly to the US naval attaché in Tokyo that there would be war if the US embargoed Japan's oil imports???) About 3 or 4 well written introductory paragraphs at the very beginning of the film would set the record and background, and the movie could start covering Coral Sea, and then the main course, Midway, in much greater depth. It is 138 minutes long, and if focused on these 2 battels, it could be significantly smaller in length and bigger in content... More battle scenes (liked them), more characters, and a better portrait of how the whole thing unfolded, both at the frontline and in HQ! Anyway, I had fun watching and its better to have it as is, that not at all!

Far superior tp 98% of most war films,,Grey and od M47s in battle of the bulge etc,,Waste of time PC in 76,,I far preferred the pearl harbor shown then the Coral sea ,,sinking of a Yorktown class carrier for the lex,,But we all have nits to pick,,,I grieve for the Dumped Hanks-speilburg _HBO Eighth AF Series,,

Here's the site referred to by Al/Lancer, and thanks Al for pointing this out. http://midway42.org/Backissues/2019/20191001.aspx
Historians Tillman and Tully have mostly positive comments regarding the movie though point out some inaccuracies, and what historical based movie does not? The recent release is vastly superior to the '76 version. No surprise there. Has motivated me to dig out my Edwin Layton book "And I Was There" which have not read to date. Also intend to read Norman Kleiss "Don't Call Me A Hero." He also had two hits on carriers as well as a cruiser in the battle. Chris

I must have been one of the last Treefrog members to see this movie.

Yesterday, me and only maybe 6 others in the theater to watched it.

Yeah, this movie is probably in its last week of showing.

Okay, I loved this movie despite some of the detail inaccuracies. The story is pretty much right on, with few exceptions.

Bottom line: Go see it if you haven't yet, then enjoy it. I did!

This IS NOT another "Pearl Harbor" movie...Thank God!!!

Here's a review from a self described "rivet counter" (Spoiler Alert: He love it)

Carlos

I must have been one of the last Treefrog members to see this movie.

Yesterday, me and only maybe 6 others in the theater to watched it.

Yeah, this movie is probably in its last week of showing.

Okay, I loved this movie despite some of the detail inaccuracies. The story is pretty much right on, with few exceptions.

Bottom line: Go see it if you haven't yet, then enjoy it. I did!

This IS NOT another "Pearl Harbor" movie...Thank God!!!

Here's a review from a self described "rivet counter" (Spoiler Alert: He love it)

Carlos

No mate, us Aussie's haven't seen it as for some reason the idiotic cinemas won't release it until early next year!

Tom

Tom,

Seriously? That sucks man...went and saw it with the WIFE! Can you believe she went? She liked it and so did I. There is a kid on youtube who posted a video about the battle in so much detail (with graphics and all) that I watched prior to the movie to get up to speed on my history.

Overall a good flick with no too much lovy-duby scenes like Pearl Harbor. A little bit more grittier on both side the Americans and the Japanese. The CGI is amazing.

John from Texas

On show here in OZ now but yet to see it but drove a bus today with the biggest movie poster on one side.....

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
DSfVAdv.jpg

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
ph5isz4.jpg

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
DVY9qTQ.jpg

Wayne.[/FONT][SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]
[/FONT]​

On show here in OZ now but yet to see it but drove a bus today with the biggest movie poster on one side.....

DSfVAdv.jpg

ph5isz4.jpg

DVY9qTQ.jpg

Wayne.
[SUB][/SUB]

Who wouldn’t love to guide that Bus around the streets for a day!

Sadly most passengers theses days would have never heard of the battle for Midway or the Coral sea.

Reckon Woody does look like Nimitz just hope he refrained from having a puff during filming.....^&grin

Who wouldn’t love to guide that Bus around the streets for a day!

Sadly most passengers theses days would have never heard of the battle for Midway or the Coral sea.

Yeah Toddy and they most likely have their heads stuck in their iphones to even notice the poster spread from one end to the other!! :rolleyes2:

Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back