My Flat Collection (4 Viewers)

Ray and others,
Great thread.

Really like the boxed sets and can see the attraction in them. Only ever come across one flat collector down here and not seen him for about 5 years.

Keep images coming.

Brett

Ray - I thought you might like to see these. Not EXACTLY Flats - as they are really Halbe-Ronde figures. These are modern reproduction figures cast from old Schneider moulds by a friend of mine - who is really an amateur collector of moulds - but casts a few as a hobby.

Here's a link to his web-site..............http://www.whitemetalmail.com/schneider-moulds-70mm-toy-soldier-semi-round-castings.html

They are 70mm tall including the base - and as you can see from the second pic - are painted on both sides - and are half-way between a Flat and a fully rounded figure. I have some more of these in various stages of completion - so must get around to finishing off painting up a small band, one of these days. johnnybach.

Ray - I thought you might like to see these. Not EXACTLY Flats - as they are really Halbe-Ronde figures. These are modern reproduction figures cast from old Schneider moulds by a friend of mine - who is really an amateur collector of moulds - but casts a few as a hobby.

Here's a link to his web-site..............http://www.whitemetalmail.com/schneider-moulds-70mm-toy-soldier-semi-round-castings.html

They are 70mm tall including the base - and as you can see from the second pic - are painted on both sides - and are half-way between a Flat and a fully rounded figure. I have some more of these in various stages of completion - so must get around to finishing off painting up a small band, one of these days. johnnybach.

Very nice paint, the variety out there is amazing

Thank you Victor,
I have many more sets to post but I recently moved (again) and have lost the battery charger for my camera. I ordered a replacement when I receive it more will be posted
Ray

Ray, Thanks for sharing with us your wonderful collection of flats. Looking forward to your next installment of pics. These flats are Very tempting, Very tempting indeed. - Ken

Thanks Ken,
I'll be posting many more soon, by the way, if I recall correctly about your ability with the canvas a man with your level of talent should produce some very impressive figures! Lord knows nearly every subject, personality and pose is covered.
Ray

Ray and others,
Great thread.

Really like the boxed sets and can see the attraction in them. Only ever come across one flat collector down here and not seen him for about 5 years.

Keep images coming.

Brett

Thanks Brett,
I think the presentation is very important for me, I like the clear covers and nicely lined boxes. I've seen a few flats at shows and antique stores around but not of quality, but I know the lack of the hobby here is part of the attraction for me, the search, the commissions, the Hundreds of years of history!
Hardly a day of following the hobby goes by that I don't learn something new, flats, editors, museums artists, though it may be something 50 years old.
A fun journey!
Ray

These are my first flats. Two Trees from Michigan Toy Soldier. I found them to be well painted up close and fairly priced. I have ordered 2 more sets. Attached is a bio of the company...I did look at the Zinnfiguren site and found them very expensive...Michael

PROFILE: Two Trees Toy Soldiers is the current nomicer of Tom Stark. A long time collector in his mid-fifties, Tom began collecting plastic toy soldiers as a child, painted his first metal figure, a prone Bussler confederate soldier, at age nine, and has stayed involved in the hobby his whole life. He has written many articles on plastic toy soldiers for trade publications over the last fifteen years, is a regular contributor of a photographic quiz in the current "Playset Magazine" and for the last 12 years has been the driving force behind bringing high quality painted Zinnfiguren to a broader market. Tom selects castings to form into sets from over a dozen European Zinnfiguren publishers, researches uniforms and paints masters for use by overseas painters, and assembles the figures into the sets he offers. He also hand crafts a series of shadow boxes with painted background scenes designed to go with the flats he produces. More recently he became involved with the Fort William Henry Museum in Lake George, New York for which he has sculpted a range of over 70 (and growing) 40mm French and Indian Wars figures which he then paints for sale exclusively through the museum shop
We know the tale of Two Trees Toy Soldiers is one that has been played out more than a few times in our hobby. These tales involve a collector whose interest in toy soldiers began when he was a child, grew into a passion with the passing of years and give birth to a small business. So while the storyline may not be unique, the details always are and often result in unique toy soldiers that other collectors can use to feed their passions.
Two Trees Toy Soldiers is such a cottage industry and is the current manifestation of Tom Stark whose collecting life began with Marx playsets in the 50’s and a first painted metal figure at the age of 9. It never let up. "It seems the older I get the more passionate about the hobby I become. I’m always looking for a new way to become more fully immersed in it" he says. Over the years this has included writing 
features in numerous magazines for the plastic collector, a photographic quiz as a routine feature in "Playset Magazine", making custom dioramas and most recently, bringing European Zinnfiguren painted to a high standard to the collector market under the Two Trees banner.
"I’m not sure when I got my first "flats" but it was early and I remember them well. I even have a few of these as the oldest veterans in my army. They were Imperial Romans and French Old Guard in greatcoats. I remember throwing them at the hardwood floors in my parents’ house to see if their sharp little bayonets would stick (groan). That was indeed a long time ago.
About 30 years ago he discovered a stateside collector named Carl Gruen willing to purchase unpainted figures for Tom from his German connections and the world of Zinnfiguren began to take focus. "I painted flats for 20 years in a vacumn until I met John Doyon who was trading 54mm traditional toy soldiers on the web. It turned out he also had an interest in the genre and by chance lived only 20 minutes away"
Given the almost limitless selection of historical figures available, the incredible animation they achieve and the relatively modest space they require, neither could fully understand why there were not more flats collectors around. They concluded that the lack of reasonably priced, well painted figures being available to a market where collectors generally have more money than time was a part of the answer and Tom’s desire to share these wonders took over from there. They joined forces with Tom putting together the sets and John marketing them on the internet (See TS&MF issue 48).
Initially Tom selected and purchased the castings, painted and photographed each pose to be used as masters by overseas production painters and provided quality control as he boxed the painted figures into the set configurations. Each and every casting went (and continues to go) through Tom’s hands a minimum of three times. He also hand crafted a series of diorama boxes for display of the figures. The initial sets were dictated by a combination of the castings he had access to and what he and John thought might be of interest to the market. This emphasized Napoleonic and medieval with French and Indian Wars figures added soon afterward.
They discovered what they already knew; the flats market they could reach was very limited. The best selling set they did sold less than a dozen sets and as a financial venture continuing did not make good sense. But passion and good sense rarely go together. Tom took on producing flats on a strictly commission basis. "The artistry and historical sweep of the figures available was incredible and I believed other collectors 
would appreciate it if they had access to it. So long as I could meet costs I decided I would keep my hand in the game. Having worked with 
Rick Berry at Michigan Toy Soldier on some articles in the past and knowing how his shop supported many small toy soldier lines I approached him and he was happy to help me out. I hope his much more visible position in the market will help to get Zinnfiguren some of the exposure I think they deserve."
This mindset allows Two Trees to bring to market even the most obscure subjects. War elephants, swirling Jainnissary hordes and one-piece dioramas can all find their way onto the Two Trees product list, albeit often in very limited quantities. " Profit isn’t my goal, bringing a unique product to a collector who will appreciate it and perhaps didn’t even know it existed is." This is reflected in the message written onto the back of each of the custom painted display boxes Tom paints, "I hope this piece brings you pleasure.
When asked what’s next for Two Trees the answer reflects the restless creative drive of its proprieter. More flats for sure. There are currently dozens of new figures in various stages of production with entries into the existing Punic and Napoleonic Wars series, new sets for History of Artillery, a radical expansion of the Greek and Persian War and finally development of a 1683 Siege of Vienna series. But if you were hoping for a bit more and happen to be in upstate New York, stop by the Fort William Henry historical site and visit the museum gift shop. There you will find a range of 40 mm French and Indian War figures "Sculpted, Cast and Hand Painted in New England" by none other than Two Trees Toy Soldiers.

Attachments

• HPIM0699.JPG
    HPIM0699.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 170
  • HPIM0702.JPG
    HPIM0702.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Sorry about the photo size..Will try to resize. Here are stock photos..Michael

Attachments

• TTZNF01.jpg
    TTZNF01.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 175
  • TTZ-NF14.jpg
    TTZ-NF14.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 196
I note Michalel's (Maddaicus) comments regarding Berlinner Zinnfiguren (BZ) figures being expensive.

Agreed, some of their painted ranges ARE quite expensive (indeed, too expensive for me) - and depending on where in the World you live - postage and/or importation COULD also add significantly to the costs.

However, I am currently "having a go" at painting some 30mm Mounted Scots Greys - at Waterloo (1815) - which are produced in-house by BZ, as unpainted castings. The 8 figures cost me €17.95, some three years ago - whilst they are STILL in the catalogue today (just looked) at €21.50 - which is around £2 per figure. As I ordered these whilst staying in France - the delivery charge was low - as they don't weigh very much - and came with NO added taxes within the EU.

These are my set - shown painted here in a stock photo:

So................what I'm getting to - is the observation that it is in the PAINTING of these little jewels that the big costs often kick in - which can also be significantly added to by post/packing and import charges - if you should live a long way from Germany.

I can understand this - as I can confirm that because of their size, they do take a while to carefully paint each figure . But at around £2 each figure, for unpainted castings - they can at least become a very reasonably priced option, if you care to have a go - or can find a reasonably priced painter to paint them for you. As to the delivery charges - these are similar for any other figures you can purchase by mail order - though flats, of course, weigh a darn sight less than fully round solids.

Having "wet my feet" (and my brush:D) with my first set - I am encouraged to take my initial experiment further with some more, at some point. I take the point though, that ordering from a "home" producer in the USA, does make eminent sense - if you live there. Sad to say, for us in Europe, maybe the opposite holds.

I think my point is - this hobby does NOT HAVE to be expensive.:salute::

Regards - johnnybach:D

These are my first flats. Two Trees from Michigan Toy Soldier. I found them to be well painted up close and fairly priced. I have ordered 2 more sets. Attached is a bio of the company...I did look at the Zinnfiguren site and found them very expensive...Michael

PROFILE: Two Trees Toy Soldiers is the current nomicer of Tom Stark. A long time collector in his mid-fifties, Tom began collecting plastic toy soldiers as a child, painted his first metal figure, a prone Bussler confederate soldier, at age nine, and has stayed involved in the hobby his whole life. He has written many articles on plastic toy soldiers for trade publications over the last fifteen years, is a regular contributor of a photographic quiz in the current "Playset Magazine" and for the last 12 years has been the driving force behind bringing high quality painted Zinnfiguren to a broader market. Tom selects castings to form into sets from over a dozen European Zinnfiguren publishers, researches uniforms and paints masters for use by overseas painters, and assembles the figures into the sets he offers. He also hand crafts a series of shadow boxes with painted background scenes designed to go with the flats he produces. More recently he became involved with the Fort William Henry Museum in Lake George, New York for which he has sculpted a range of over 70 (and growing) 40mm French and Indian Wars figures which he then paints for sale exclusively through the museum shop
We know the tale of Two Trees Toy Soldiers is one that has been played out more than a few times in our hobby. These tales involve a collector whose interest in toy soldiers began when he was a child, grew into a passion with the passing of years and give birth to a small business. So while the storyline may not be unique, the details always are and often result in unique toy soldiers that other collectors can use to feed their passions.
Two Trees Toy Soldiers is such a cottage industry and is the current manifestation of Tom Stark whose collecting life began with Marx playsets in the 50’s and a first painted metal figure at the age of 9. It never let up. "It seems the older I get the more passionate about the hobby I become. I’m always looking for a new way to become more fully immersed in it" he says. Over the years this has included writing 
features in numerous magazines for the plastic collector, a photographic quiz as a routine feature in "Playset Magazine", making custom dioramas and most recently, bringing European Zinnfiguren painted to a high standard to the collector market under the Two Trees banner.
"I’m not sure when I got my first "flats" but it was early and I remember them well. I even have a few of these as the oldest veterans in my army. They were Imperial Romans and French Old Guard in greatcoats. I remember throwing them at the hardwood floors in my parents’ house to see if their sharp little bayonets would stick (groan). That was indeed a long time ago.
About 30 years ago he discovered a stateside collector named Carl Gruen willing to purchase unpainted figures for Tom from his German connections and the world of Zinnfiguren began to take focus. "I painted flats for 20 years in a vacumn until I met John Doyon who was trading 54mm traditional toy soldiers on the web. It turned out he also had an interest in the genre and by chance lived only 20 minutes away"
Given the almost limitless selection of historical figures available, the incredible animation they achieve and the relatively modest space they require, neither could fully understand why there were not more flats collectors around. They concluded that the lack of reasonably priced, well painted figures being available to a market where collectors generally have more money than time was a part of the answer and Tom’s desire to share these wonders took over from there. They joined forces with Tom putting together the sets and John marketing them on the internet (See TS&MF issue 48).
Initially Tom selected and purchased the castings, painted and photographed each pose to be used as masters by overseas production painters and provided quality control as he boxed the painted figures into the set configurations. Each and every casting went (and continues to go) through Tom’s hands a minimum of three times. He also hand crafted a series of diorama boxes for display of the figures. The initial sets were dictated by a combination of the castings he had access to and what he and John thought might be of interest to the market. This emphasized Napoleonic and medieval with French and Indian Wars figures added soon afterward.
They discovered what they already knew; the flats market they could reach was very limited. The best selling set they did sold less than a dozen sets and as a financial venture continuing did not make good sense. But passion and good sense rarely go together. Tom took on producing flats on a strictly commission basis. "The artistry and historical sweep of the figures available was incredible and I believed other collectors 
would appreciate it if they had access to it. So long as I could meet costs I decided I would keep my hand in the game. Having worked with 
Rick Berry at Michigan Toy Soldier on some articles in the past and knowing how his shop supported many small toy soldier lines I approached him and he was happy to help me out. I hope his much more visible position in the market will help to get Zinnfiguren some of the exposure I think they deserve."
This mindset allows Two Trees to bring to market even the most obscure subjects. War elephants, swirling Jainnissary hordes and one-piece dioramas can all find their way onto the Two Trees product list, albeit often in very limited quantities. " Profit isn’t my goal, bringing a unique product to a collector who will appreciate it and perhaps didn’t even know it existed is." This is reflected in the message written onto the back of each of the custom painted display boxes Tom paints, "I hope this piece brings you pleasure.
When asked what’s next for Two Trees the answer reflects the restless creative drive of its proprieter. More flats for sure. There are currently dozens of new figures in various stages of production with entries into the existing Punic and Napoleonic Wars series, new sets for History of Artillery, a radical expansion of the Greek and Persian War and finally development of a 1683 Siege of Vienna series. But if you were hoping for a bit more and happen to be in upstate New York, stop by the Fort William Henry historical site and visit the museum gift shop. There you will find a range of 40 mm French and Indian War figures "Sculpted, Cast and Hand Painted in New England" by none other than Two Trees Toy Soldiers.

Sets look even better the second look, It's a pretty extensive and broad line Two Trees has put together, as I mentioned before I've had some emails exchanges with Tom seems like a great guy but an engineer and very busy. I've tried to talk to him about coming on board here and becoming one of the many great manufacturers talking to there customers, it would be great to hear his insight and experience. I'll keep working on him :cool:
Ray

I mentioned before he's going to put together some American Civil War sets, here's a couple of mine....

I note Michalel's (Maddaicus) comments regarding Berlinner Zinnfiguren (BZ) figures being expensive.

Agreed, some of their painted ranges ARE quite expensive (indeed, too expensive for me) - and depending on where in the World you live - postage and/or importation COULD also add significantly to the costs.

However, I am currently "having a go" at painting some 30mm Mounted Scots Greys - at Waterloo (1815) - which are produced in-house by BZ, as unpainted castings. The 8 figures cost me €17.95, some three years ago - whilst they are STILL in the catalogue today (just looked) at €21.50 - which is around £2 per figure. As I ordered these whilst staying in France - the delivery charge was low - as they don't weigh very much - and came with NO added taxes within the EU.

These are my set - shown painted here in a stock photo:

So................what I'm getting to - is the observation that it is in the PAINTING of these little jewels that the big costs often kick in - which can also be significantly added to by post/packing and import charges - if you should live a long way from Germany.

I can understand this - as I can confirm that because of their size, they do take a while to carefully paint each figure . But at around £2 each figure, for unpainted castings - they can at least become a very reasonably priced option, if you care to have a go - or can find a reasonably priced painter to paint them for you. As to the delivery charges - these are similar for any other figures you can purchase by mail order - though flats, of course, weigh a darn sight less than fully round solids.

Having "wet my feet" (and my brush:D) with my first set - I am encouraged to take my initial experiment further with some more, at some point. I take the point though, that ordering from a "home" producer in the USA, does make eminent sense - if you live there. Sad to say, for us in Europe, maybe the opposite holds.

I think my point is - this hobby does NOT HAVE to be expensive.:salute::

Regards - johnnybach:D

Johnny,
That's been my experience as well, What I did was order several at sets once, that at least mitigates the postage a bit. I have been doing some shopping on the German and French ebay sites and private individuals are usually much better on the postage rates.

I have also discovered that the flat is not always about the soldier... still in 30mm scale, winter and summer, they are great for setting up scenes

Johnny,
That's been my experience as well, What I did was order several at sets once, that at least mitigates the postage a bit. I have been doing some shopping on the German and French ebay sites and private individuals are usually much better on the postage rates.

Hi again Ray. I didn't mention it previously, but that's what I did too, when I ordered my Scots Greys. I also ordered these British Line Infantry (same scale of 30mm) from the Napoleonic era. I thought that if the horses were beyond me - then the foot soldiers might not be. That's a good tip, about private e-bay sellers - and I may have a look at some of those. I've also noticed that BZ seem to have "sale" items, periodically - and I have seen some 52mm Flats of Mounted Knights, that are more reasonably priced than most of their offerings (unpainted, of course). As Medieval Knights are another of my favourites - I'm now thinking that area may be one to explore too.

I must say - I do like your collection very much - and it is inspiring.

See what you've done!!!!:smile2: jb

Napoleon's expedition to Egypt, I have camel corp figures from 2 different artist you can see the contrasting style

Hi Ray,

The Austrians have always been smart in their white uniforms imho, and I like the camels! ^&cool
You have quite a collection and this is a most interesting thread that you have got going here.

Jeff :salute::

Users who are viewing this thread

Back