My Flat Collection (2 Viewers)

Hi Ray,

The Austrians have always been smart in their white uniforms imho, and I like the camels! ^&cool
You have quite a collection and this is a most interesting thread that you have got going here.

Jeff :salute::

So Jeff,
Which style camels do you like the best? the top are more subdued or darker I think more could have been done with the camels color, the bottom brighter and would appear cleaner?
Ray

So Jeff,
Which style camels do you like the best? the top are more subdued or darker I think more could have been done with the camels color, the bottom brighter and would appear cleaner?
Ray

Ray, I like them all really but you are quite right about the brighter and cleaner versions in the bottom set, so they get my vote. :smile2:

Jeff

Some more sets...
Wurttenberg grenadier 1812 Borodino

Russian Artillery and guards Dragoons and another view of the emperor's guard currasiers regiment

My French artillery... really doesn't do justice to the group, I really should set up "La Grand Battery!!" much more impressive

Any chance that you might connect up some of the teams of horses to their cannons Ray? I've seen some tiny pics in books of them set up that way - but never in the amount of detail that your photos bring.

A Convert. ( or just jb:D).

Ray,

I hope you don't mind me intruding on your thread, but I took some photos of Bob's flats on Saturday and thought you might like to see them.

Mike

Attachments

• 100_4129.JPG
    100_4129.JPG
    470.1 KB · Views: 158
  • 100_4130.JPG
    100_4130.JPG
    481.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 100_4131.JPG
    100_4131.JPG
    400.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 100_4132.JPG
    100_4132.JPG
    553.4 KB · Views: 159
  • 100_4133.JPG
    100_4133.JPG
    540.4 KB · Views: 158
Time to show off some more, French sets include Napoleon on the road with a couple of detail shots, French ambulance and medical train, 2 different styles, sappers and engineers...

Ray,

I hope you don't mind me intruding on your thread, but I took some photos of Bob's flats on Saturday and thought you might like to see them.

Mike

Mike, no I'm most pleased you have such a fabulous group to show, those are very well done! I'm sorry I forgot, is Bob the gentleman who is liquidating his collection?
Ray

And some more, Prussian line and Jaeger troops, French grenadiers dressed for weather, and the death of lasalle and some ancients...

Any chance that you might connect up some of the teams of horses to their cannons Ray? I've seen some tiny pics in books of them set up that way - but never in the amount of detail that your photos bring.

A Convert. ( or just jb:D).

Hi Johnny, They actually produce a harness that fit over 2 horse teams, unfortunately they wont just sit there without glue which makes it a 3-d setup and they wont lay flat. there are some with the harness in the design, I'll see what I can do ;)
Ray

Hi Johnny, They actually produce a harness that fit over 2 horse teams, unfortunately they wont just sit there without glue which makes it a 3-d setup and they wont lay flat. there are some with the harness in the design, I'll see what I can do ;)
Ray

Yes - I think I follow what you mean. I have seen pics in books of flats set up with cannon like that. I wasn't aware before that they needed glueing to keep them up - but I'm now beginning to understand better how they could work that way. Essentially, you would be trying to make a 3D set-up, with two dimensional figures.

Incidentally Ray, I have just ordered some more 30mm flats of an Austrian Military Band from a Museum Shop in Austria. ( Bands have been "my thing" for quite a while). They are also sending me some colour illustrations - as a painting guide. The Museum has several Catalogs of Old Flats (re-casts, I assume) - and might be of interest to you too. Here's the link:

http://www.zinnfigurenwelt-katzelsdorf.at/zinn-main.php?page=shop

I clicked the Translate button - and it all becomes clear. I ordered my new 22 figure Band set from the POHL Catalog - which you can see on pages 55/56, if you'd like a sneak-peek. You can check out ALL of the catalogs shown on that page. I think that because it's really a museum - they are quite a lot more competitively priced than some of the more well known commercial sites that sell zinnfiguren! Well worth a look.

Cheers buddy - you can see I have the flat bug now! jb

P.s. Almost forgot - here's my first completed set now ( and my complete collection too!:D)

Last edited:
Johnny,
Thanks for the link, it's a site I hadn't visited and I will be putting together an order shortly! The Arch Duke Charles figure similar to the FL figure, holding the flag is a must have for me and I will be adding to my French line in overcoats as well!
the closest I can get to a band is an orchestra

Hi Ray. You're welcome to the link for the Austrian Museum Shop. The chap that I am dealing with, is called Ernst Schindel - and speaks ( and writes) almost perfect English, so you will have no difficulty in corresponding - as you can write your e-mail in English ( doubtless of the US variety:smile2:).

As to your Orchestras............well, I admire the artistry involved - but I was thinking more of the Military Marching Band variety for me. I have been through all of their Catalogs - and found four bands. I'm starting with the smallest - and ordered 22 figures - which includes "A Grosser Trommel und Tromellwagen mit Hund (besspant)" - which means Big Drum and Carriage being towed by a Dog! The drum beater walks behind it - giving it a few whacks! The rest of the "musikers" have a variety of instruments (some duplicated for me - to make up 22 figures) - and are in marching order, complete with packs. I can't download pics to show you - though they are in the POHL catalogue, pages 55/56.

I also rather like the Franz Josef Parade figures, which include two Military bands - and are in "Figures 1 & Books" catalog. No illustrations though of the bands - but Ernst says he can help out with painter guides for them too.

So............no bunch of Toffs playing violins and dressed in tights for me!:D

Thanks again for showing your marvellous collection here - which as you can see - is truly inspiring. Well, it inspired me to pick up my brush - and find out that I COULD paint 30mm figures, anyway. I hope to get better at it with practice too. ^&grin

Cheers chum.:salute:: jb

Last edited:
Cheers buddy - you can see I have the flat bug now! jb

P.s. Almost forgot - here's my first completed set now ( and my complete collection too!:D)

As with everything you put a brush to jb , very nicely done! {bravo}}

Just a word caution though johnny, I have heard that once you go flat - you can never go back, or is it bach! :rolleyes2::tongue:^&grin

B. :salute::

As with everything you put a brush to jb , very nicely done! {bravo}}

Just a word caution though johnny, I have heard that once you go flat - you can never go back, or is it bach! :rolleyes2::tongue:^&grin

B. :salute::

I have too many fully round figures both in my stash - and on order - to completely go flat, bach! I did, however, enjoy painting up my first set. Only goes to show that IF you give something a try - it CAN work out okay. As mentioned earlier, I have another Flat set tucked away of some marching British Line Infantry ( 9 figures c.1808) - so might give my brush a waggle or two with those shortly. However, I'm currently painting a Napoleonic French Mounted Gun team (54mm) from ATS, at the moment, so they will have to wait a while yet. I'm also STILL plodding along with a Naafi Truck.............which seems to be taking forever.

Glad you liked the Scots Greys too.:D jb

Hi Ray. You're welcome to the link for the Austrian Museum Shop. The chap that I am dealing with, is called Ernst Schindel - and speaks ( and writes) almost perfect English, so you will have no difficulty in corresponding - as you can write your e-mail in English ( doubtless of the US variety:smile2:).

As to your Orchestras............well, I admire the artistry involved - but I was thinking more of the Military Marching Band variety for me. I have been through all of their Catalogs - and found four bands. I'm starting with the smallest - and ordered 22 figures - which includes "A Grosser Trommel und Tromellwagen mit Hund (besspant)" - which means Big Drum and Carriage being towed by a Dog! The drum beater walks behind it - giving it a few whacks! The rest of the "musikers" have a variety of instruments (some duplicated for me - to make up 22 figures) - and are in marching order, complete with packs. I can't download pics to show you - though they are in the POHL catalogue, pages 55/56.

I also rather like the Franz Josef Parade figures, which include two Military bands - and are in "Figures 1 & Books" catalog. No illustrations though of the bands - but Ernst says he can help out with painter guides for them too.

So............no bunch of Toffs playing violins and dressed in tights for me!:D

Thanks again for showing your marvellous collection here - which as you can see - is truly inspiring. Well, it inspired me to pick up my brush - and find out that I COULD paint 30mm figures, anyway. I hope to get better at it with practice too. ^&grin

Cheers chum.:salute:: jb

Disclaimer: the author of this thread in no way endorses bunches of Toffs playing violins and/or dressed in tights, skinny jeans or any other questionable non-masculine attire

Users who are viewing this thread

Back