My Flat Collection (2 Viewers)

Last layer of French here and last pics of French in this scene might try other nationalities but the problem is flats are done in profile and this shot lends itself to face on figures.
Ray

Looking for something a little different to display my collection under the glass, bit of open space but I like it.
Ray
"Last stand under the Old Oak"

Kinda out of my swing zone but I won an auction in Germany and he also had this listed, just a cool, I think original photo from the second world war.
Ray

That big oak in that set is gorgeous!

Thank you Zach, coming from a man who has put together one of the finest high end collections around, I'll take it!!
I've had it for a while and have never really found a great way to display this fine piece.
Ray

Added another building to the village, this is an Inn, The White Heart inn. I have also been working on some walls, I liked the tile cap on one of the K&C village diormas but they offered nothing like it, so I costomized the sections.
Ray

Ray, what scale are your buildings?

Hi Brad, 25mm to 30mm is the size advertised, that translates to 1/64 to 1/54 scale, most are scaleable to some degree, mostly smaller by printing at a percent of original size. limitations are naturally the size of the paper. this scale works well with 1/48th as well.
You thinking you could use them for something?

Hi Ray,

Just love the yellow building (looks like an "Imperial Barracks") at the end of the "street"

Could you please give us a lead on that one?

My mate, Ray K, (of U Boat fame) and I have been "experimenting" with all sorts of Card Models for a couple of years now. You are correct, it is better to scale down rather than up. We have had considerable success with taking 1/33 planes up to 1/30. Our best results have been taking 1/25 down to 1/30, or 1/32.

I am currently doing 1/32 buildings which have been scaled up from 1/72, but using "MDF" board instead of Card. Initial results are promising, but cutting multiple windows out of MDF, could be a recipe for the funny farm. When (if) I finish something, I will post a photo.

Oberstinhaber

Hi Ray,

Just love the yellow building (looks like an "Imperial Barracks") at the end of the "street"

Could you please give us a lead on that one?

My mate, Ray K, (of U Boat fame) and I have been "experimenting" with all sorts of Card Models for a couple of years now. You are correct, it is better to scale down rather than up. We have had considerable success with taking 1/33 planes up to 1/30. Our best results have been taking 1/25 down to 1/30, or 1/32.

I am currently doing 1/32 buildings which have been scaled up from 1/72, but using "MDF" board instead of Card. Initial results are promising, but cutting multiple windows out of MDF, could be a recipe for the funny farm. When (if) I finish something, I will post a photo.

Oberstinhaber

Hi OB,
Ray's U-boat is spectacular!
If I'm not mistaken buildorama had some 1/30 paper facades for a while?
Glad you like the buildings, I actually purchased that from Berliner Zinnfigure out of there misc. listings many years ago. Some of the zinnfigure mfg. would print supplimental scenery for displaying your figures, it is one of the first paper models I did and is just a facade.
I'm just getting confortable enough with the construction process to begin experimenting with paper model, I started simple, the roof tiles and some of the rockwork on the buildings were not the uniform design you see, I have printed much of those and pasted them to the structures to give the uniform look, next I am going to meld a couple of structures with some custom work.
If you have serious questions about working with paper I suggest the papermodellers website.If it's done with paper, they will know, really spectacular and serious modellers there, I'm sure they could help you with any questions: http://www.papermodelers.com/

I'd love to see your work,
Ray

Ray,

In response to your last post, I was thinking of maybe using those buildings as backdrops on some of the photos I take. Did those come from the Berliner Zinnfiguren site?

Brad

Unless you allready know you may want to give http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/ at try. I used their model builder software for years and with the addition of Brickyard you are fully set up to design your own buildings in almost any scale. Only drawback - if at all - is that most of the encluded designs (doors, windows etc.) have a distinctive nothern american look and to fiddle something typical medival european might proof to be a task. Well it was designed to please railroad modellers, I like it anyway and until my last move I had a nice little collection of backdrop buildings.
rgds
Wolfgang:salute::

Hi Ray and Wolfgang,

Thank you both for your generous responses.I will have a look at all the sites you mentioned, later today. Interesting, didn't think of Berliner Zinnfiguren. Been a customer of theirs for years too! Missing the obvious!

Regards,

Bob

Ray,

In response to your last post, I was thinking of maybe using those buildings as backdrops on some of the photos I take. Did those come from the Berliner Zinnfiguren site?

Brad

Brad,
No berliner has sparse, pre-printed material, almost all the structures I have done are from RPG now, here's the link that will take you to 3D printable building and scenery, 100's of possibilities
http://www.rpgnow.com/browse.php?filters=0_2220_0_0_0

Off subject but interesting and beautiful Trophy CSA Leopard, I downloaded this 30mm paper kit a while back and just haven't gotten around to it.

Unless you allready know you may want to give http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/ at try. I used their model builder software for years and with the addition of Brickyard you are fully set up to design your own buildings in almost any scale. Only drawback - if at all - is that most of the encluded designs (doors, windows etc.) have a distinctive nothern american look and to fiddle something typical medival european might proof to be a task. Well it was designed to please railroad modellers, I like it anyway and until my last move I had a nice little collection of backdrop buildings.
rgds
Wolfgang:salute::

Wolfgang,
I didn't know about this site either, very interesting! it would work well with western and civil war scenery. Dave Gaffam models are the ones I've had the best luck with, he offers the PSD form of the models for design and customization if you know and own photoshop which I do not.

Maybe a little too modern but http://scalescenes.com/ has some nice buildings. Can be printed in a multitude of scales and buy once print as many as you like. Just need to glue the papers to different thicknesses of card. The detail is amazing.

Maybe a little too modern but http://scalescenes.com/ has some nice buildings. Can be printed in a multitude of scales and buy once print as many as you like. Just need to glue the papers to different thicknesses of card. The detail is amazing.

Anther great site I didn't know about, The model builder and brick yard look very workable, I'm suprised there's not a European version, bet it would be very popular!(especially in Europe)
Ray

some new Russian sets, Finnish Guards regiment and the Lithuanian or Litovski LifeGuards regiment.
Ray

The Hussars not to be outdone by the infantry rush past the advance for Glory and Fame!
Ray

I've always wanted a figure of Joan of Arc but have never really seen the quality of what I was looking for, so I had this one commissioned, she's Beautiful, there are many poses of this historical and iconic figure and I will be looking for more!
Ray

Users who are viewing this thread

Back