My JJD Inter-War Aviation Collection (2 Viewers)

mestell

Lieutenant Colonel
The beginning . . . . . The USS Saratoga (CV-3) has arrived at my house . . . . at least the first two deck plates IWA-100 and IWA-200. Both deck plates are far more than I expected and I couldn't be more satisfied and happy with them. Each deck plate is 9.875 inches (25.0825 cm) x 15.0 inches (38.1 cm) x 1 inch (2.54 cm). They butt up to each other very nicely making an almost seamless transition form one deck plate to the other. The card table I am going to use to display my collection on is 33 inches x 33 inches square which means that I will be able to add four more deck plates, 2 x IWA-300 and 2 x IWA-400 . . . . . this should make a spectacular display area with plenty of room to display all three Boeing F4B-4s and the flight and deck crew figures. The card table fits perfectly between my computer desk and my wall shelves as can be seen in some of the pics below. "Sara" is now waiting for the arrival of the first F4B-4 which shoud be in route and will be landing on the flight deck soon . . . .
:smile2: Mike

DSC_0020 (1280x591).jpg

DSC_0022 (1280x631).jpg

DSC_0021 (1280x713).jpg

DSC_0023 (1280x720).jpg

The F4B-4s of Section 4, Fighter Squadron Six (VF-6B) are in flight and are approaching the "SARA". They will be landing on SARA's flight deck soon . . .

Boeing-F4B-4-Repaint-fsx2 (1) (800x560).jpg

The card table I am going to use to display my collection on is 33 inches x 33 inches square which means that I will be able to add four more deck plates, 2 x IWA-300 and 2 x IWA-400 . . . . . this should make a spectacular display area with plenty of room to display all three Boeing F4B-4s and the flight and deck crew figures. The card table fits perfectly between my computer desk and my wall shelves as can be seen in some of the pics below. "Sara" is now waiting for the arrival of the first F4B-4 which shoud be in route and will be landing on the flight deck soon . . . .

Mike, it looks like we have the same idea in terms of dimensions.^&grin

100 & 200 look great, BTW.:D

Question for you...
How come the models can't fly as fast as the deck sections^&confuse:wink2:

-Moe

Mike, it looks like we have the same idea in terms of dimensions.^&grin

100 & 200 look great, BTW.:D

Question for you...
How come the models can't fly as fast as the deck sections^&confuse:wink2:

-Moe

Great question Moe . . . Easy answer . . . . I divide my purchases between my two favorite "go to" dealers . . . . . For whatever reason they seldom get their shipments from JJD at the same time.

Very useful info, looks like these deck pieces are quality made. More than ever now, looking forward to getting some. Robin.

Looks real nice so far, Mike. Many thanks for the first views and facts ... very helpful.

I have been "somewhat on the fence" on this JJD series but .. NOW .. you got me leaning to jumping on board the SARA!
Hopefully you will update us when your first F4B-4 touches down.

--- LaRRy

Very useful info, looks like these deck pieces are quality made. More than ever now, looking forward to getting some. Robin.

Thanks Robin, glad it was useful for you . . . .

Looks real nice so far, Mike. Many thanks for the first views and facts ... very helpful.

I have been "somewhat on the fence" on this JJD series but .. NOW .. you got me leaning to jumping on board the SARA!
Hopefully you will update us when your first F4B-4 touches down.

--- LaRRy

I am glad this was helpful for you Larry and thank you for the compliment. I was on the fence too about collecting this series but now I am glad I decided to take the plunge. I am expecting the arrival of my first F4B-4 on this coming Monday . . . . photos to follow for sure . . . .

The deck sections look fantastic Mike. My first F4B4 should be enroute. Who did the print?

Does anyone know when the deck crew will be released? CHris

The deck sections look fantastic Mike. My first F4B4 should be enroute. Who did the print?

They are fantastic looking Chris . . . . what I didn't mention were the little details that really make then stand out and above anything else like this that I have seen . . . . . "felt-like" bottoms (nice touch), deck planks have actual three-dimensional grooves in them, and the gray line running across the deck planks and through the "SARA" lettering are actual working "tie-down" cleats . . . . Extremely well done. I will have room on my card table to have plank decks that are three rows deep. I plan to get IWA-300 and IWA-400 in September with the right wing man F4B4 and then another IWA-300 and IWA-400 in October with the left wing man F4B4. I have a birthday in October and will be hinting at IWA flight and deck crew figures which I hope will be out by then.

I found the print on Fly Away Flight Simulators web site and it was credited to Paul Clawson and Andreas Fey . . .

Here is a close up photo of the deck plate that better shows the individual deck plank detailing and the rows of "tie-down" cleats that run through each deck plate and the lettering of "SARA". The "tie-down" cleats are actually functional in design and could be used by the collector to secure their F4B-4s to the deck . . . . .

DSC_0019 (1280x839).jpg

Chris, the flow should begin soon. The painted figure sets that were posted with the release announcement strongly suggest this. I believe the figures will be released singlely or in pairs. However, there are a lot of them. Because of that, it could take a year for the releases to play out. IF there's something that you want, but don't see, a bomb-cart or wind-screen for the LSO, for instance, email JJ and lobby for it! Attach a pic or link to the message for inspiration. Jenkins reads EVERYTHING that we send him and values the input.

-Moe

are the deck crew available separately? Any ETA?

In the past, figure sets have been sold separately. There's no reason to believe that matters will be different with these. I believe that they'll begin to appear very soon. However, past experience suggests that they'll be released one set at a time over a period of months...or longer.

-Moe

In the past, figure sets have been sold separately. There's no reason to believe that matters will be different with these. I believe that they'll begin to appear very soon. However, past experience suggests that they'll be released one set at a time.

-Moe

Agree Moe, usually a set each month, with the number shown, means over the next 6 months, giving everyone something to look forward to and ample to budget for. Robin.

For a visual reference of the figure sets being discussed, this is what we're talking about at this time:

P7309053.jpg

Thus far, that looks like 24 figures. As I mentioned, these will likely be released in one and two figure sets. Looks like at least a year's worth of releases to me. I prefer it this way, as I'll have a regular treat headed my way in coming months.

-Moe

The IWA-10 Boeing F4B-4, Section Leader, Section 4, Fighter Squadron Six (VF-6B) landed on my USS Saratoga (CV-3) deck plates this afternoon. I have 18 JJD airplanes . . . . This instantly became my favorite. This is just an outstanding, very well done model. I'll let the photos tell the story . . . .

DSC_0020 (1280x853).jpg

DSC_0021 (1280x789).jpg

DSC_0022 (1280x901).jpg

DSC_0023 (1280x814).jpg

DSC_0024 (1280x990).jpg

Mike, those are great pics. Now, I know what the model actually looks like. I had four out of the seven new IWA sets scheduled for delivery today, but they were delayed by Harvey. This is almost as good as looking them over in person!:D Thank you!:salute::

-Moe

Mike, those are great pics. Now, I know what the model actually looks like. I had four out of the seven new IWA sets scheduled for delivery today, but they were delayed by Harvey. This is almost as good as looking them over in person!:D Thank you!:salute::

-Moe

You are more than welcome Moe . . . . glad you liked the pics . . . . It's an amazing looking model . . . . . I am envious that you are getting four more of the IWA sets right away. My budget allows me to collect IWA-11, IWA-300, and IWA-400 in September and IWA-12 with another IWA-300 and another IWA-400 in October. I'll end up with a carrier deck display base that will be approximately 30-inches sqaure . . . . plenty of room for the three F4B-4s and all of the flight/deck crew figures . . . .

You are more than welcome Moe . . . . glad you liked the pics . . . . It's an amazing looking model . . . . . I am envious that you are getting four more of the IWA sets right away. My budget allows me to collect IWA-11, IWA-300, and IWA-400 in September and IWA-12 with another IWA-300 and another IWA-400 in October. I'll end up with a carrier deck display base that will be approximately 30-inches sqaure . . . . plenty of room for the three F4B-4s and all of the flight/deck crew figures . . . .

Mike, that sounds like a great setup for the models.^&cool

Question...

Is the antenna-mast to the rear of the cockpit removable?

If not, the shipping carton must be very deep.:eek:

-Moe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back