My JJD Inter-War Aviation Collection (3 Viewers)

Congratulations on the new acquisition, Mike. It is a real beauty. -- Al

Mike, that sounds like a great setup for the models.^&cool

Question...

Is the antenna-mast to the rear of the cockpit removable?

If not, the shipping carton must be very deep.:eek:

-Moe

The antenna mast is fixed to the aircraft. Packaging is approximately 14" x 10" x 6" . . . . . shipping carton even larger . . . .
:smile2: Mike

Mike,
I know that you have a superlative collection as you have posted so many wonderful shots here.
However, I can see how this JJD set has catapulted to the TOP of your "favorite list".

I'v seen the JJD release pictures, but your great photos really makes the plane and deck jump out with detail.
NOW .... try to image what the whole setup will look like when done and the figures added...:rolleyes:

You might never leave your toy room again ...{sm4}

--- LaRRy

Mike,
I know that you have a superlative collection as you have posted so many wonderful shots here.
However, I can see how this JJD set has catapulted to the TOP of your "favorite list".

I'v seen the JJD release pictures, but your great photos really makes the plane and deck jump out with detail.
NOW .... try to image what the whole setup will look like when done and the figures added...:rolleyes:

You might never leave your toy room again ...{sm4}

--- LaRRy

Thank you very much Larry for the kind complements. I figure I'll be working on this display well into 2018. As far as leaving my toy room I can tell you this . . . . the table for my carrier display is right next to my computer desk and as I type this response I can reach over easily and touch the deck plates and the F4B-4 . . . .

Thank you very much Larry for the kind complements. I figure I'll be working on this display well into 2018. As far as leaving my toy room I can tell you this . . . . the table for my carrier display is right next to my computer desk and as I type this response I can reach over easily and touch the deck plates and the F4B-4 . . . .

Hey Mike, set up a small desk fan aimed at your SARA dispaly and you will have 3 FB4's with their motors turning over, ready to take to the sky...Launch aircraft! ^&grin -- Al

These photos look spectacular. I am right in saying most of the advertised photos display the planes as side on to the deck. The flight deck does run the same way as the letters spell out the name of the boat, right? I gather the wing span for the planes is fine when going in this direction. I intend to display one behind the other, not side by side. Robin.

These photos look spectacular. I am right in saying most of the advertised photos display the planes as side on to the deck. The flight deck does run the same way as the letters spell out the name of the boat, right? I gather the wing span for the planes is fine when going in this direction. I intend to display one behind the other, not side by side. Robin.

Robin, No S A R A is on the fantail or behind where a pilot would touch down and is left to right, not fore and aft.

The flight deck does run the same way as the letters spell out the name of the boat, right?

Robin, to elaborate, the S A R A lettering was located on the threshold of the flight-deck. Being so similar, visually, to the Lexington, the lettering was useful in that it kept pilots from landing on the wrong ship. The other useful identifier was a vertical stripe on Sara's rather generous funnel. When the vessels were repainted for war, the lettering was replaced with the hull number, "3," and this identifier was located both fore and aft.

-Moe

Thanks Robin . . . . Below is a picture diagram of the Saratoga as it appeared in 1935 which shows the lettering "SARA" printed on the fantail running perpendicular to the deck . . . .

uss-cv-3-saratoga-1938-aircraft-carrier.gif

That's an incredible looking plane Mike, simply amazing. The sculpting on the pilot looks very good too. Congratulations to John Jenkins and you and to Moe too, who I gathered advised on the airplane.

Brad

That's an incredible looking plane Mike, simply amazing. The sculpting on the pilot looks very good too. Congratulations to John Jenkins and you and to Moe too, who I gathered advised on the airplane.

Brad

Why thank you Brad . . . much appreciated. You are correct in that Moe did advise on the project. In the past couple of days I have corresponded with John and he indicated that Moe was a big help in developing not only the airplanes but also the carrier deck plates.

Moe is a big asset to the Forum in many things but particularly aviation, as is Al. The Forum is the better for their contributions.

I assume you'll be in Chicago?

Why thank you Brad . . . much appreciated. You are correct in that Moe did advise on the project. In the past couple of days I have corresponded with John and he indicated that Moe was a big help in developing not only the airplanes but also the carrier deck plates.

Not to deprive my fellow forum members of this Hallmark moment, but modesty dictates that I set the record straight on this count. The SUM TOTAL of my contribution to this project and range was as initiator (some would suggest instigator) of this thread:

https://forum.treefrogtreasures.com...ings-Aviation&highlight=Yellow+wings+aviation

That's it fellas, the whole nine-yards as far as the role of yours truly is concerned. Everything else is owed to the vision and hard work of Mr. John Jenkins. He developed the planes, figures and flight-deck modules and deserves COMPLETE credit for the excellent results. However, what I'm most grateful for is his willingness to take a chance on something so completely unique, at least in the world of toy soldiers. It's my sincerest hope that he'll continue to boldly ply these waters and fill our shelves with his treasures.

That's all folks,:D

-Moe

Not to deprive my fellow forum members of this Hallmark moment, but modesty dictates that I set the record straight on this count. The SUM TOTAL of my contribution to this project and range was as initiator (some would suggest instigator) of this thread:

https://forum.treefrogtreasures.com...ings-Aviation&highlight=Yellow+wings+aviation

That's it fellas, the whole nine-yards as far as the role of yours truly is concerned. Everything else is owed to the vision and hard work of Mr. John Jenkins. He developed the planes, figures and flight-deck modules and deserves COMPLETE credit for the excellent results. However, what I'm most grateful for is his willingness to take a chance on something so completely unique, at least in the world of toy soldiers. It's my sincerest hope that he'll continue to boldly ply these waters and fill our shelves with his treasures.

That's all folks,:D

-Moe

Success has many parents ... failure is an orphan!

Congratulation Moe on being part of a new range ... and for being so appallingly modest about it!

Have always liked the homely stubby little Brewster Buffalo, does anyone have any idea if John has any intention of producing something like this?

B.

Attachments

• Brewster-F2A-Buffalo-Title.jpg
    Brewster-F2A-Buffalo-Title.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 189
Have always liked the homely stubby little Brewster Buffalo, does anyone have any idea if John has any intention of producing something like this?

B.
One of my pre-war favs, as well, though would not have wanted to have to fly it in combat. No idea if it is on John's radar. He keeps his plans close to the vest, as all the manufacturers do. -- Al

I've asked John for the Buffalo but as Al says John likes to play it close to the vest. A US Navy one would fit in well with the Saratoga theme, not that I want to add to Mike's financial $$$ woes. It wasn't a very good fighter in WW II but there's just something about its look.

I would love to have a Buffalo as pictured above . . . . . From the color pallet shown I think this would be the Buffalo of the 4th Section Leader (Plane #10), of Fighter Squadron Three, assigned to the USS Saratoga (White Tail) . . . . . This would look great with the F4B-4s . . . . . I am really enjoying this range and its possible choices of aircraft . . . .

On another note, I have a feeling that Moe is being more than humble about his involvement with this range. I emailed John letting him know how impressed I was so far with IWA. In his reply, John was very complimentary of Moe's assistance in getting this project "off the ground" . . . . .

Thanks Al, Brad and Mike for your responses ..... I realize most manufacturers are pretty tight-lipped about their future releases, but I just thought I'd throw the Buffalo idea out there to see if maybe anyone else had mentioned the possibility of JJD making one to John. I have to say I really like Mike's vision of yellow winged Buffalo atop John's wonderful Saratoga deck pieces along side the F4B-Fs.

Great pics of the new additions your IWA collection Mike and kudos to Moe for his contributions to their release. {bravo}}

B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back