NCAA Football 2023 (4 Viewers)

The corruption in college football apparently extends to ESPN who used fake names to qualify for various Emmy awards that they won. They then chiseled off the fake names and put the names of the various personalities on them. You can't make that up.

Didn't take DeBoer to leave Washington for the muggy air of Bama. He's got quite the act to follow. Reminds me of when Perkins followed Bryant. -- Al

Didn't take DeBoer to leave Washington for the muggy air of Bama. He's got quite the act to follow. Reminds me of when Perkins followed Bryant. -- Al

Al
I am sure the money will help, but there is no way I think that is a smart move. The amount of rebuild that will inevitably occur due to the fall out IMO will be monumental and take several years. Also, his personality IMO will not be a fit. I give him 2-3 yrs. Bad move all the way around.
Tom

I thought Harblow claimed he was innocent?

[FONT=&quot]"Harbaugh wants an extension to include language that would prevent Michigan from firing him "for cause" in the event the NCAA drops the proverbial hammer following either of its ongoing investigations." [/FONT]

I thought Harblow claimed he was innocent?

"Harbaugh wants an extension to include language that would prevent Michigan from firing him "for cause" in the event the NCAA drops the proverbial hammer following either of its ongoing investigations."

Maybe not, but I give him credit on contract intelligence!

Chip Kelly is leaving the HC job at UCLA to become OC at Ohio St. What a humiliation for UCLA. It's no wonder the PAC imploded. The Ohio St. coach must realize that his job is on the line this year with Harblow leaving Michigan. He better win out or else.

Playoff series expanded to 12 teams with 5 Conference champions and 7 at large teams.

Playoff series expanded to 12 teams with 5 Conference champions and 7 at large teams.

This was inevitable given all the controversy every year and, more importantly, the enormous sums of money. The NCAA ruined college basketball with greed. They have now done the same with college football. The bowls games are a joke with almost no starters playing in those games. The non-playoff bowl games should be abolished if they are now going to have an NFL-like playoff system. There needs to be a complete reassessment of the conferences. The NCAA should have NFL-like divisions. At least preserve the regional rivalry games instead of USC playing in the Big Ten.

As noted by my previous posts I am not always a Nick Saban fan but I have to admit he nailed it when he recently spoke about the state (the end) of college football:

“I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I'm going to play because they're thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?" Saban recounted. "Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating and developing an NFL career on the field.”.

As noted by my previous posts I am not always a Nick Saban fan but I have to admit he nailed it when he recently spoke about the state (the end) of college football:

“I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I'm going to play because they're thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?" Saban recounted. "Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating and developing an NFL career on the field.”.

I have mixed emotions on college athletes being paid professionals these days. College sports are a lot less fun to watch but I can't criticize players wanting to be paid while the coaches are making millions, and the NCAA billions, off of their efforts.

Caitlin Clark, the leading scorer in college basketball is reported to have an NIL deal worth $3.1M. It's amazing what rich alumni will pay these days. Dan Issel, one of the best players of the late 60s said he rec'd a $100 per month while at Kentucky. And yes that was illegal at that time.

I have mixed emotions on college athletes being paid professionals these days. College sports are a lot less fun to watch but I can't criticize players wanting to be paid while the coaches are making millions, and the NCAA billions, off of their efforts.

Caitlin Clark, the leading scorer in college basketball is reported to have an NIL deal worth $3.1M. It's amazing what rich alumni will pay these days. Dan Issel, one of the best players of the late 60s said he rec'd a $100 per month while at Kentucky. And yes that was illegal at that time.

I do not disagree but other “students” make many colleges a fortune via research, patents and government grants.

None of them ask for more than what their scholarships provide, an education that leads to a lucrative employment.

Hard to believe but we are only a few weeks away from the college football season. I wonder how the NCAA's investigation into Michigan is going? It's taking longer to investigate than the Lindbergh kidnapping. USC plays an absolute monster schedule. They play LSU, Michigan, Penn St., Wisconsin, Washington, ND, and UCLA. Wow.

Hard to believe but we are only a few weeks away from the college football season. I wonder how the NCAA's investigation into Michigan is going? It's taking longer to investigate than the Lindbergh kidnapping. USC plays an absolute monster schedule. They play LSU, Michigan, Penn St., Wisconsin, Washington, ND, and UCLA. Wow.
USC will be ok considering they, like all other “colleges”, will now essentially employ professional athletes who are compensated well beyond any other “students”.

Perhaps George Lucas or Marc Benioff (among others) can part with a few of their billion dollars so that USC can remain competitive.

USC will be ok considering they, like all other “colleges”, will now essentially employ professional athletes who are compensated well beyond any other “students”.

Perhaps George Lucas or Marc Benioff (among others) can part with a few of their billion dollars so that USC can remain competitive.
USC plays LSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin just in September. They get Penn. St, Washington, UCLA, and ND to end the year. Brutal. Without Caleb Williams to carry them, they better hope the D has improved a lot or its going to be a long year.

USC plays LSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin just in September. They get Penn. St, Washington, UCLA, and ND to end the year. Brutal. Without Caleb Williams to carry them, they better hope the D has improved a lot or its going to be a long year.
According to some reports USC has strengthened their defense this year.

I will believe that when I see it, until then I think the over looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back