New EA sets-who got them? (1 Viewer)

Firebat said:
No my beef is with you guys, its ok if you discuss Panther weight, tread detail, subdued vs. bright colors, rounded body design, someone is always going to speak to Andy about something or another. About what.... "accuracy" that is what we all want. But be someone who is out of the inner circle, and mention a small detail like a flag, and all of the in boys are in an uproar. You guys are only Brothers if it suits you. Start a new thread Noobie bashing, so these guys can get on with their discussion their EA's....I love this stuff......surrounded, but on good ground............. and on the side of right...... Keep it coming

I propose “a new GUY rule” (like the beer commercials on television and not a NEW guy on the forum rule).

If a discussion is to be had on a subject having nothing to do with the thread on which it suddenly appears then please start a new thread to discuss the new topic and allow those who are interested in the original topic to get on with the discussion at hand.

And Firebat, I still love this stuff, and thank you for noticing. Sometime if you are in Minnesota or I am on the East Coast, lets meet and have a beer and talk about life. I am certain that I will enjoy your companionship and the conversation.

I started a new thread on “historical accuracy” so that we can get on with the discussion about the new EA sets. http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1535

Now, no one has answered my question about what are the tattoos called that can be found on the Tommie’s arms in the EA12 set, Best of Enemies.

Last edited:
How about we have enough rules!

If someone new signs on welcome!

Should they express a point of view, or ask a question lets respond....not

hit them with a set of rules! If they like the conversations and company

they will catch on to "How Things Are Done"............

Njja:confused:

The first rule of the toy soldier club is - you do not talk about the toy soldier club. :D

sceic2 said:
Now, no one has answered my question about what are the tattoos called that can be found on the Tommie’s arms in the EA12 set, Best of Enemies.

I'm not getting my sets for another 10 days but what does it look like. I wonder if it's Andy taking artistic license, as he did with BBA 10, and adding his tattoo to the Tommie's arm.

red devil said:
Well it could have been worse than the Union Jack - imagine if Andy or someone in his factory thought it amusing to paint a swastika on their uniforms!! Now that would have caused real uproar :)

3 words: Toy Soldier Mutiny. :eek: I don't think the little fellas would be very forgiving about it, unless they were from the Waffen-SS range of course. :)
Justin

Eazy said:
Here we go. It's only called the Union Jack when flown at sea. On land it's the Union flag. LOL

:)
Oops! :eek: You learn something new every day!
Justin

Just came back from 24 hours with the Brothers. 2 Major Fires, A woman died of a heart attack in front of me, and we had a major train derailment (Our man from Chester probably saw it on the news). I had a little time to think about this in the few quiet moments I had. And I still stand on accuracy and precision, even in a toy soldier, thats what I stand for. The Brothers were flawless and thats how I want my stuff. This hobby is not for me, I am going back to the more accurate 1/6 and 1/35th scales blended with the FOV stuff I love. I am a modeler not a toy collector. For those of you who supported me in private e-mails thanks. I hope I did some good in elevating you hobby. For the rest of you enjoy your toys. I'm getting back to the real stuff. Your hobby will get there soon enough.
Thanks Alex

Please remove me from this Forum or show me how to remove myself.......................Thanks again

Last edited:
Firebat said:
Just came back from 24 hours with the Brothers. 2 Major Fires, A woman died of a heart attack in front of me, and we had a major train derailment (Our man from Chester probably saw it on the news). I had a little time to think about this in the few quiet moments I had. And I still stand on accuracy and precision, even in a toy soldier, thats what I stand for. The Brothers were flawless and thats how I want my stuff. This hobby is not for me, I am going back to the more accurate 1/6 and 1/35th scales blended with the FOV stuff I love. I am a modeler not a toy collector. For those of you who supported me in private e-mails thanks. I hope I did some good in elevating you hobby. For the rest of you enjoy your toys. I'm getting back to the real stuff. Your hobby will get there soon enough.
Thanks Alex

Please remove me from this Forum or show me how to remove myself.......................Thanks again

We certainly will enjoy our miniatures.
Justin, anxiously awaiting his 8th Army miniatures.

Yes! The 8th Army has arrived! Well, three sets anyway. These are some good-looking figures. The Dingo ain't too shabby either! :D To Andy and company, great job! I can't wait to get the rest!
Justin

sceic2 said:
I noticed a really cool feature on the Tommy giving the AK German water in Best of Friends (EA12); he has some well-done tattoos on both arms. I don't know what they are called but they have something to do with English symbolism. Perhaps someone would be so kind as to tell me what the tattoo represents. They are familiar, at least to me; I just don’t know what to call them.

So what about it, does anyone have an answer?

indiana81 said:
The Dingo ain't too shabby either!

Why thankyou, I do like to keep myself well groomed. Oh sorry, were you talking about the armoured car :D

OzDigger said:
Why thankyou, I do like to keep myself well groomed. Oh sorry, were you talking about the armoured car :D

No I wasn't. :D Heh heh, good one Oz!
Justin

sceic2 said:
I noticed a really cool feature on the Tommy giving the AK German water in Best of Friends (EA12); he has some well-done tattoos on both arms. I don't know what they are called but they have something to do with English symbolism. Perhaps someone would be so kind as to tell me what the tattoo represents. They are familiar, at least to me; I just don’t know what to call them.
sceic2,

The short answer is that the tattoo is a crown with a ribbon underneath that probably designates which regiment this soldier is part of.

Many of the Commonwealth units that composed the 8th Army had crowns as part of their regimental (and some Battalions) cap badges. These were usually set at the top of the badge. Primarily, four different Crowns were used in British military badges of WWII although my research seems to indicate that there may have been as many as eight different crown shapes used.

The crown on the soldier’s arm is the St Edward’s Crown, sometimes incorrectly referred to as the Queen’s Crown. The St Edwards Crown had a dip in the top of the crown.

Another widely used crown was the Tudor Crown sometimes incorrectly referred to as the King’s Crown. This crown had a rounded top.

The Queen Victoria Crown was another crown seen on several regimental badges. The shape is similar in design to the St Edward’s Crown and is the crown portrayed in the center of the Victorian Cross, Great Britain’s highest medal for valor.

Not criticizing, just a curious observation, but it seems strange to me that someone would have an identical tattoo on both arms. I see a lot of US Marines that have the Eagle, Globe and Anchor tattoos on their arms but have yet to see one with the identical tattoo on both arms. Different times, different wars. Maybe one of our British counterparts has more insight on how common identical tattoos were during WWII.

Semper Fi!
Rick

Attachments

• St Edwards Crown.jpg
    St Edwards Crown.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Tudor crown.jpg
    Tudor crown.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 52
Panzer, thanks for the info. So now about that tattoo that Andy is said to have, is it the same?

Just reading through this thread. Got the idea Firebat really likes his accuracy. If he came to put a fire out at my house and saw my old glossy Britains, he'd probably let it burn to the ground.

jrsteel said:
Just reading through this thread. Got the idea Firebat really likes his accuracy. If he came to put a fire out at my house and saw my old glossy Britains, he'd probably let it burn to the ground.

jrsteel

Lets stop picking at each other. We all like different things about our Toy Soldiers. If we keep this kind of thing up it will destroy this forum. None of us want this.

Jrsteel, I'm not jumping on you personally, I'm just using your post as an example of what we are doing to ourselves.

Lets all shape up before Mama Shannon Whapps us.

Chuck Harris said:
Lets all shape up before Mama Shannon Whapps us.

We wouldn't like that to happen, eh?:D

Chuck, I totally agree, but I had the feeling this guy was a bit over the top.
Anyways, let's get back to our toy soldiers...

Chuck,

I almost always enjoy listening to the voice of reason. I agree with you wholeheartedly. Thanks for your comments!

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back