new movie DUNKIRK (2 Viewers)

I read a review by someone who hated it. Thought it was disjointed and very, very loud, such that he couldn't hear the dialogue, especially with the accents. His ears hurt after.

It is very loud, intentionally so, to make you feel as if you're there.

Brad, pls feel free to view the movie however you wish. And I will do the same. Enjoy. Chris

Chris, that is my view of it and you have yours and I didn't say your opinion was wrong. No two people will necessarily have the same view, and each may react to art differently.

Saw it with my wife and adult kids.

My daughter did not like the people getting killed / hurt ! This prompted her to ask why I could enjoy such a movie but did not like horror movies (no Friday the 13th type movies for me{eek3}). My son got the difference (ie. history and real events) but unfortunately shows the mind of younger generation.

Enjoyed the aerial combat. Seeing the same event but from different persons view was interesting although a little confusing. Did Hardy make Ace in a day or am I counting some kills twice ?

Agree with Brad that it is a survival movie rather than full on war movie like SPR and Hacksaw Ridge. Hardly any German ground troops in the movie.

Saw it with my wife and adult kids.

My daughter did not like the people getting killed / hurt ! This prompted her to ask why I could enjoy such a movie but did not like horror movies (no Friday the 13th type movies for me{eek3}). My son got the difference (ie. history and real events) but unfortunately shows the mind of younger generation.

Enjoyed the aerial combat. Seeing the same event but from different persons view was interesting although a little confusing. Did Hardy make Ace in a day or am I counting some kills twice ?

Agree with Brad that it is a survival movie rather than full on war movie like SPR and Hacksaw Ridge. Hardly any German ground troops in the movie.

I saw the movie last Thursday night in Bangkok on a large Imax screen with a full house...I am going to see it again tonight in HK with a good mate on a regular screen...
A few thoughts...
The director Christopher Nolan has said that he did not want use CGI which is fair enough BUT... those beaches would have looked a lot more crowded (like the real Beaches) with a lot more soldiers and abandoned vehicles and equipment than appeared in the movie!

Also a little touch of CGI would have added much more smoke from the burning docks and town of Dunkirk plus burning fuel dumps and suppy depots...The town and surrounding area were under almost continuous aerial and artillery bombardment from the Germans and lay under a vast pall of smoke that could be seen for miles.

Finally, a distinct and notable absence of Army officers, senior and junior NCO's and Military Police...So did all those orderly lines and queues of soldiers just formed up and stood there all on their own!?!

Still an enjoyable film on a great subject with many terrific bits in it! One American critic did opine however....

" That there were virtually no women in the movie and no 'People of Colour.'

Best wishes and happy viewing, Andy.

Last edited:
I can't speak for others but seeing the movie has given me a renewed interest in FOB. I wonder if dealers might see some small spike in sales.

Might we see anything new next week? :wink2:

It is very loud, intentionally so, to make you feel as if you're there.

Saw a piece with Kenneth Brannaugh who watched it with real vets of Dunkirk. They told him the movie was louder than the actual event!

Bring ear plugs folks. Protect your hearing.

Saw a clip on YouTube of a Canadian WWII veteran who was at Dunkirk and 20 at the time who went to see it; his thoughts on humanity and war will hit you were you live, just have a box of tissues handy if you watch it................97 years old, God bless him................not sure on this one, my Dad really wanted to see it, so it will be a tough watch for me as a result............:(...................

I haven't seen it, but it's good to know that someone can still make a decent war movie and that people will pay to see it. I thought that was a long lost art along with the western. Hollywood seems to be convinced there is a formula for war films that requires a romantic angle and message instead of sticking to the action. As a result, most war films of the last few decades are unwatchable flops.

Visually, I wanted the beach scenes to have more of the quality imparted to them in Atonement:

True, there are some nice action sequences with a marvelous "you are there" feel to them. However, I got the impression that they were occurring in a vacuum, with nothing going on "in the wings." Not a good thing in a film recounting so epic an event played out on so enormous a panorama. Dunkirk is definitely worth the price of admission, but, IMO, fell down in this important regard.

-Moe

Well said

Visually, I wanted the beach scenes to have more of the quality imparted to them in Atonement:

True, there are some nice action sequences with a marvelous "you are there" feel to them. However, I got the impression that they were occurring in a vacuum, with nothing going on "in the wings." Not a good thing in a film recounting so epic an event played out on so enormous a panorama. Dunkirk is definitely worth the price of admission, but, IMO, fell down in this important regard.

-Moe

Saw a piece with Kenneth Brannaugh who watched it with real vets of Dunkirk. They told him the movie was louder than the actual event!

Bring ear plugs folks. Protect your hearing.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up, Rutledge! I have to brace myself for the action scenes in the movie. {eek3}

-Moe

My feelings exactly. Chris

I just saw it an hour ago. I think it is a great success as a soldiers/you are there movie. For those wanting a little more context, it is not really that type of movie. It is definitely viscerally stimulating. The Stukas might be the loudest sound I have heard in a movie. I saw 70mm IMAX.

I saw the movie again last night and liked it even better than the first time. I usually find many movies to be wanting the second time around but better appreciated the story the Director was trying to tell and how he told it. As I noted earlier, Nolan was going for a different feel.

The Spitfire scenes are quite superb and Tom Hardy is terrific.

I will be picking up the Blue Ray when it is released. Speaking of discs, the docudrama the BBC made in 2004 called Dunkirk was very good and if you happen to have the BBC's History of WW II, which I recommend, Dunkirk is included; it even stars a young Benedict Cumberbatch.

I saw the movie again last night and liked it even better than the first time. I usually find many movies to be wanting the second time around but better appreciated the story the Director was trying to tell and how he told it. As I noted earlier, Nolan was going for a different feel.

The Spitfire scenes are quite superb and Tom Hardy is terrific.

I will be picking up the Blue Ray when it is released. Speaking of discs, the docudrama the BBC made in 2004 called Dunkirk was very good and if you happen to have the BBC's History of WW II, which I recommend, Dunkirk is included; it even stars a young Benedict Cumberbatch.
I will have to watch that. I lied to my daughter that Cumberbatch is in the new one, hoping she would go with me. lol

Enjoyable,even if it was a Russian hack,,,,,watched Sharpes waterloo for the first time,,Now that is a TV movie,,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back