new movie DUNKIRK (5 Viewers)

I will have to watch that. I lied to my daughter that Cumberbatch is in the new one, hoping she would go with me. lol

I haven't watched it for several years but I recall it being pretty good. I'm going to watch it again.

Unfortunately I read another review like that, probably copied from the first one.

The USA article? "..The trio of timelines can be jarring as you figure out how they all fit, and the fact that there are only a couple of women and no lead actors of color may rub some the wrong way. "

I haven't read any reviews that complained about this, only comments from people triggered by this sentence, repeated by the usual sites.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/07/17/review-christopher-nolan-excellent-dunkirk-explores-heroism-innovative-fashion/482574001/

Still an enjoyable film on a great subject with many terrific bits in it! One American critic did opine however....

" That there were virtually no women in the movie and no 'People of Colour.'

And he's getting torn to shreds on social media.

Which he should, how clueless can you be.

Welcome to 2017 everyone.......................

The movie critic will be pleased to know that there is a black paratrooper in the JJ Abrams movie OVERLORD in which US paratroopers on D-Day encounter supernatural forces in Normandy.

Clearly the casting director made a serious mistake.

This movie would have been so much better if Denzel Washington played the senior Navy guy on the jetty and Charlize Theron flew the Spitfire instead of Tom Hardy. To cater for the French and older generation could have cast Catherine Deneuve as the French soldier.

More women and people of colour would have gone to see it.

Nah ! Just kidding guys.

However just think of the possibilities for "PC" movies. Mrs Custer's Last Stand, Daphne Crockett and Davinia Bowie heroes of The Alamo, the 300 Spartan Wives and to be fair 4,000 nasty British red coats attack a Company of Zulus at Rorkes Drift. However this poses some problems as do we allow the Indians to win over Mrs Custer or the Mexicans over the female defenders of the Alamo ? Wouid need to consider all the angles and perhaps make them honourable "draws" so as not to offend anybody.

Don't have much time for film critic's, they often remind me of opposition MP's who usually have nothing positive to say and love the sound of their own voice.

Todd,
Have a look at the Hollywood v History web page and their comments about Dunkirk. Whilst they say none of the Dunkirk characters are specific people they do mention Kiwi pilot Al Deere as a possible influence as he experienced first hand the complaints by the Army about lack of air cover. Ironically they were making these comments to him after he had been shot down whilst taking on a Dornier over Dunkirk {sm2}. His DFC was for actions over France at that time.

Deere had a very interesting career to say the least.

Last edited:
I did notice his voice during the movie but apparently many missed it.

Christopher Nolan has revealed the command voice giving directions to the RAF pilots at the beginning was that of Michael Caine as a kind of homage to him being in Battle of Britain movie. Caine has done a few previous movies with the director (ie. Batman, Inception, Intersteller).

Going out on a limb here. Dunkirk could be a "White Guy" movie in a GOOD way. There's some pretty good examples of "White Guys" behaving nobly. The yachtsman, his son, and the kid deck hand plus the two RAF pilots and the beach commander are good role models.

Clearly the casting director made a serious mistake.

This movie would have been so much better if Denzel Washington played the senior Navy guy on the jetty and Charlize Theron flew the Spitfire instead of Tom Hardy. To cater for the French and older generation could have cast Catherine Deneuve as the French soldier.

More women and people of colour would have gone to see it.

Nah ! Just kidding guys.

However just think of the possibilities for "PC" movies. Mrs Custer's Last Stand, Daphne Crockett and Davinia Bowie heroes of The Alamo, the 300 Spartan Wives and to be fair 4,000 nasty British red coats attack a Company of Zulus at Rorkes Drift. However this poses some problems as do we allow the Indians to win over Mrs Custer or the Mexicans over the female defenders of the Alamo ? Wouid need to consider all the angles and perhaps make them honourable "draws" so as not to offend anybody.

Interesting comments about the lack of women or people of color in the movie but, if they were not
there in the first place in 1940 why would they be depicted in the film ??? Historical accuracy maybe !

Wayne

I am seeing it again tomorrow, on a bigger screen and with less confusion on events knowing already what to look for. Would have liked to see a few more Germans on the ground. Robin.

I am seeing it again tomorrow, on a bigger screen and with less confusion on events knowing already what to look for. Would have liked to see a few more Germans on the ground. Robin.

I'm hoping to see it tomorrow too Robin.

Would be keen to hear what members thought about viewing it on the extreme screen (XS) opposed to a normal movie screen?

I've found some flicks don't suite the XS viewing experience.

Cheers in advance.

I'm hoping to see it tomorrow too Robin.

Would be keen to hear what members thought about viewing it on the extreme screen (XS) opposed to a normal movie screen?

I've found some flicks don't suite the XS viewing experience.

Cheers in advance.

Toddy,
I saw it on XS but that was due to the timing rather than a preference. I don't think it was worth the extra cost (4 people) for this particular movie.

I do note a few here seeing it twice at the cinemas and hope the movie is doing well in the box office so Producers see worthwhile to invest in good war movies.

Going out on a limb here. Dunkirk could be a "White Guy" movie in a GOOD way. There's some pretty good examples of "White Guys" behaving nobly. The yachtsman, his son, and the kid deck hand plus the two RAF pilots and the beach commander are good role models.

I'm really struggling to understand your post and to be frank I find it offensive and totally inappropriate!!!:mad:

Toddy,
I saw it on XS but that was due to the timing rather than a preference. I don't think it was worth the extra cost (4 people) for this particular movie.

I do note a few here seeing it twice at the cinemas and hope the movie is doing well in the box office so Producers see worthwhile to invest in good war movies.

Cheers Brett mate, yeah can get very pricey for the big screen and I've found it to be a bit hit and miss as to whether or not it enhances the viewing.

I'm looking forward to seeing it and escaping the world for a couple of hours.^&grin

Don't have much time for film critic's, they often remind me of opposition MP's who usually have nothing positive to say and love the sound of their own voice.

I agree with you, man. Nothing ever pleases a movie critic, aside from the sound of their whining and complaints about the movie.

Todd,
Have a look at the Hollywood v History web page and their comments about Dunkirk. Whilst they say none of the Dunkirk characters are specific people they do mention Kiwi pilot Al Deere as a possible influence as he experienced first hand the complaints by the Army about lack of air cover. Ironically they were making these comments to him after he had been shot down whilst taking on a Dornier over Dunkirk {sm2}. His DFC was for actions over France at that time.

Deere had a very interesting career to say the least.

Thanks Brett I'll check it out, yeah an amazing bloke and his autobiography 'Nine Lives' is a must read for any Airforce enthusiasts. Here's a snippet........

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/media/photo/alan-deere-memoir

Todd and anybodyelse yet to see it or those going again,

Does Tom Hardy become an Ace in a day and shoot down five German planes or was I just confused by the way the movie was directed ?

Saw it last night and agree with your comments.

However the noise and music was intense
Kirk

I just saw it an hour ago. I think it is a great success as a soldiers/you are there movie. For those wanting a little more context, it is not really that type of movie. It is definitely viscerally stimulating. The Stukas might be the loudest sound I have heard in a movie. I saw 70mm IMAX.

Todd and anybodyelse yet to see it or those going again,

Does Tom Hardy become an Ace in a day and shoot down five German planes or was I just confused by the way the movie was directed ?

Brett, I think it was the way it was directed because the RAF action all takes place in one hour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back