Nfl 2012 season!!!! (1 Viewer)

Playoffs here we come! The running game was the key (and Romo's interceptions) as the Redskins racked up 274 yards on the ground, 200 for the rookie Morris, who also had 3 Td's. A remarkable run for the Redskins to come from 3-6 to take the division title with a 10-6 record. Hail to the Redskins!^&grin -- Al

congrats on the win Al...the Redskins are the better team...

I have only two questions today:

1. Why is it the Giants are either unbelievably bad or good? They play the toughest schedule in the NFL, go 9-7, beating the heck out of several tremendous teams (49ers, Packers, Saints), but being blown out by struggling Bengals and Ravens teams, and miss the playoffs because they lost two division games by 1 point, each of which they had won, but the usually reliable Lawrence Tynes missed fieldgoals (Eagles and Red Skins), one of which was a chip shot and the other of which was short because of an incredibly stupid offensive pass interference penalty on the play before they were to attempt a 43 yard field goal for the win, turning it into a 53 yard attempt. Despite the incredibly inconsistent play all season, if they win either one of these 1 point losses they win the division.

2. How bad does Tony Romo suck under pressure? Another three interception game when it mattered most, including the stupidest and most costly INT with a chance to win or tie and 3 minutes left in the game. He is one of the worst QB's under playoff pressure I have ever seen. The Cowboys will never win anything with him at the helm.

Well now will begin the off season changes: The Jets should fire their GM and Offensive Coordinator for sure, and, if it wasn't for the 17.5 million dollar cap hit their idiot GM left them with, would assuredly cut their pathetically bad starting QB. Rex Ryan should also be fired, but probably won't be. I'm not even going to attempt to list all of the offensive upgrades they need in addition to QB, frankly their new GM should just trade Reavis for a boat load of draft picks and try to completely retool a la the Cowboys trade of Hershel Walker to the Vikings.

The Giants desperately need a top quality cornerback so they can cut or demote to nickel back that awful Corey Webster (the worst starting cornerback they have fielded since Elvis Patterson - nicknamed "Toast" because he was burned every Sunday), a huge nose tackle to stuff the run, a bruising power running back and at least two effective run blocking offensive linemen. They also need to replace their offensive line coach and defensive backs coach (neither of whom have gotten the job done at all).

San Diego will finally be free of Norv Turner. A lot of head coaches will be looking for work this off season, and rightfully so.

Playoff predictions for the wildcard round: Seahawks over the Redskins, Packers over the Vikings, Bengals upset the Texans (who lost 3 of their last 4 coming into the playoffs) and Colts over the Ravens (who have lost every game down the stretch against teams that showed up - the Giants didn't bother to play last week).

As of right now, I think the one and two cedes in each conference (Falcons, 49ers, Broncos, Patriots) should come through to the conference championship games, although, the winner of Redskins vs. Seattle has a chance as the hot team to crash the party.

Louis...

you're right...Romo does suck under pressure...but most quarterbacks do...with all the talent Dallas has at the position of wide receiver, tight end and running back...you would think they could score more points than they do...year in and year out they break my heart...until Jerry Jone's address's their offensive line protection problems...which makes all their offensive efforts fail...then you're right again...Dallas will never win a Superbowl with him...or anyone else at the helm for that matter...I don't blame it all on Romo...I'm used to watching him scramble for his life to avoid sacks...I feel sorry for him...here's an interesting fact though...

did you know that Romo is currently listed as #4 in all-time quarterback efficiency ratings...to qualify to make this list...a quarterback must have 1,500 attempts...

Rank Quarterback Rating
1 Aaron Rodgers 104.5
2 Steve Young 96.8
3 Tom Brady 96.6
4 Tony Romo 96.1
5 Peyton Manning 95.5
6 Philip Rivers 94.3
7 Drew Brees 94.1
8 Kurt Warner 93.7
9 Ben Roethlisberger 92.5
10 Joe Montana 92.3

look at that list...all Superbowl winners except Romo and Rivers...you can count Romo's playoff games on one hand...with lots of fingers to spare...and Romo is still ranked by the experts as one of the most efficient qb's in the game...

last year he was rated as #2 on that list...right behind Brady...but his dismal stats for 2012 have lowered him to #4 this year...I don't blame Romo for their poor offensive play...I don't think he should shoulder all the blame for their unproductive offense...in last nights season finale game against Washington he had a qb rating of 55.9%...pretty low...in fact...God awful...Griffin had a rating of 66.9%...pretty low too...but as qb's usually get all the glory from fans...they also usually gets all the blame from fans...the offensive line was like a sieve...Romo was scrambling all night...

Dallas has squandered his talent, his career and his reputation...poor coaching...poor management...poor drafting...he gets blamed for all their woes...

I really can't blame him for their lack or appearances in post season or playoff games...he's trying his hardest to finish a game without getting killed...

nobody can block...Romo runs around more than Cutler...

I'll remain a Cowboy's fan...every year at draft time...I have my hopes up that this will be the year...but as always...I'm disappointed when the season starts...

It's just a game...I shouldn't take it so hard...

Mike,

There have always been qarterbacks who put up fantastic regular season statistics, but who can't get the job done in the playoffs, with the pressue of the season being on the line. Certain QB's manage to get the job done under playoff pressure and some don't. Take a look at Romo's numbers in elimination games and playoff games. I remember him choking against the Giants at home in the playoffs in 2007, throwing a pick to end the game. Then I remember him choking against the Giants in the last game of last season, a winner take all for the NFC East title. Ditto this year vs. the Red Skins (3 more picks, including one with 3 minutes left in the game to seal it for the Redskins).

I notice Philip Rivers is also on that list. He is another player that puts up fantastic regular season stats, but never seems to win the big game in the playoffs. Neither Eli Manning nor Troy Aikman, with 5 superbowl rings between them, is on that list. If I had to choose between Romo and Rivers as against Eli and Aikmen, I'd take Eli and Troy every time and twice on Sunday.

In 2008, on one of these threads, we did a breakdown of the great playoff quarterbacks, looking at the winning percentage and championships won of every quarterback who played in at least 10 playoff games. Several of them are on the list of most efficient quarterbacks, but a bunch of the greatest don't make the list, starting with Johnny Unitas, Terry Bradshaw, Bart Starr and Troy Aikman, all of whom have more championships and Superbowls than you can shake a stick at. Heck, Eli is 8-3 in the playoffs with two championships. I don't know how they calculate efficiency, but those are a lot of QB's I would feel more confident in than Romo or Rivers.

I agree that the Cowboys have a lousy offensive line, but the Giants had a lousy O-line last year (they were dead last in the league rushing the ball, and Eli got hit more than 20 times in the NFC Championship game against the 49ers) and they won the superbowl. This year Eli wasn't quite able to overcome the lousy offensive line play, in combination with the poor defense, but I have every confidence that with a revamped O-line and the addition of a quality cornerback, the Giants will be serious contenders next year because of Eli and his receiving corps. Do you have that confidence with Romo and the Cowboys?

Then again, it might not be Romo, a lot of commentators blame the Cowboys problems on Jerry Jones' interference with the head coach and insistence on acting as the GM. There is a lot of talk that the players can't be effectively coaached because they know the head coach doesn't really have the last word in whether they stay or go. Whatever the problem, be it the QB, the head coach or the owner, something needs to change before the Cowboys are real contenders like they were in the 1970's and the 1990's.

Last edited:
congrats on the win Al...the Redskins are the better team...
Thanks, Michael. It was a long time coming. The playoffs are a nice payoff after such a great turn around. The Redskins are only the 5th team since 1970 to start 3-6 and make the playoffs. That said, I am not optimistic about the Seattle game. Seattle is MUCH better defensively and their rookie Qb and running game are just as good as ours. It might be a one and done deal for the Redskins but it was nice to get there. Still think the Redskins might win if the stars align and the weather goes bad.:rolleyes2: -- Al

I'm no expert on the two teams that landed franchise QBs but one problem with the success they've had is that it obscures a lot of deficiencies. Nobody expected them to be this good because of their needs. They still have those needs but will not be able to get as good a player as they might have otherwise obtained because they will be drafting late, not to mention that in the Redskins case they had to give up a lot to the Rams to get Griffin.

They are truly screwed now, losing the #2 seed; if they win their opening round game, they get to go to Denver and play Manning at his house.

That is not going to end well.

Care to take that one back? ^&grin

However, your vision of facing Manning may come true. At least it won't be Eli :wink2:

Well say goodbye to the Jets GM. Just fired. Rex gets to stay. However, that will be a difficult situation for the new GM as he's not his HC. I assume Rex will be on short lease.

Well say goodbye to the Jets GM. Just fired. Rex gets to stay. However, that will be a difficult situation for the new GM as he's not his HC. I assume Rex will be on short lease.
Gonna be a bad day around the NFL. Cleveland, San Diego, Jacksonville, Philly, KC are all sure to make front office changes. -- Al

Andy Reid was told yesterday, Jax GM is out (but not Coach) and Browns coach is gone.

Andy Reid was told yesterday, Jax GM is out (but not Coach) and Browns coach is gone.
It's a masscree! I am real interested to see where Norv Turner turns up. With his past record I am sure he will get a job but don't know if it will be as head coach. -- Al

Add Romeo to the list.

Like to see Norv with the Jets. Of course, Rex would have some serious butt kissing to do, not to mention this would be a heck of a challenge for Norv.

Interesting to see if Nick Saban at Alabama or Chip Kelly at Oregon make the move to the NFL. The Browns supposedly offered Saban $100 million. But I'm guessing he sticks to college football.

Interesting to see if Nick Saban at Alabama or Chip Kelly at Oregon make the move to the NFL. The Browns supposedly offered Saban $100 million. But I'm guessing he sticks to college football.
My brother went to Bama and bleeds Crimson. He doesn't believe Saban has any intention of leaving Bama where he is virtually a demigod. I don't see why he would bother going to the NFL where the chances of pulling a Spurrier type disaster are very strong. Saban is on top of the college football world so I don't see what he has to gain by going pro. JMO. -- Al

Care to take that one back? ^&grin

However, your vision of facing Manning may come true. At least it won't be Eli :wink2:

Looks like I spoke too soon, man did Houston soil themselves down the stretch, they should have lost the Lions game too but their boob coach threw a challenge flag on a scoring play that would have automatically been reviewed (and overturned too) which cost them the game.

The Packers coach pulled the same boneheaded move yesterday, but the play was already being reviewed, which I don't get at all, he threw the flag, that should have negated the review.

Thank GOD the NFL has the review system in place, the refs miss SO many easy calls.

Watching Tony Bledsoe gag away another playoff chance was painful to watch last night, the guy is just not money when it matters most.

The playoffs are going to be real interesting this year to say the least; in the AFC, I'll take the Bengals and the Ravens next weekend, Houston is taking on water and the Bengals have won 7 of their last 8 games, the Colts are a nice story and everything, but I can't see them going to Baltimore and winning.

That will set up Bengals/Broncos and Patriots/Ravens.

Outstanding.

Saban tried the pro game and it wasn't for him. Can't see him leaving Bama unless he feels winning national titles has become too easy.

It's a masscree! I am real interested to see where Norv Turner turns up. With his past record I am sure he will get a job but don't know if it will be as head coach. -- Al
Massacree is putting it mildly. At this point of the day (2:30pm), 7 teams have fired their head coachs, and 5 GMs have been canned, too. Nine teams out of 32 have made changes and it's probably not done yet.{sm2} -- Al

I just watched on the NFL Network "The 1995 Cleveland Browns" on their A Football Life.

It's an amazing program. On that staff Bellicheck had Nick Saban, Eric Mangini, Jim Schwartz and Kirk Ferentz, head coaches past and present, and several general managers, including Ozzie Newsome, Scott Pioli, Mike Tannenbaum and the present GM from Atlanta, whose name escapes me. That is an amazing staff.

In 1995 they were headed, apparently, towards a Super Bowl appearance, until that moron Modell, who has to rival Walter O'Malley for title of worthless scum, announced that they were moving to Baltimore. That basically sucked the life out of the team and the city and they finished with a losing record, with Bellichek getting fired.

One tidbit from the program was that, using a draft pick that Bellichek had obtained while head coach, the Ravens selected Ray Lewis. Michael Lombardi, who was also on the staff, said that they had targeted Ray Lewis as someone they were going to select.

Bacially, the SB the Ravens won probably belonged to Cleveland.

One can only hope that the football gods allow Cleveland to win a Super Bowl before the Ravens do again (no offense to any Baltimore fan here).

Cleveland got a royal screwing and the last playoff game the Browns was while Bellichek was coach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back