Open Email to Oberstoskar (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad:

Ha!

Its one thing to "Joke" about a group in a friendly way, but certain words

should not be used even in jest because they indicate a lack of respect.

That is what I took offense at, I don't mind a good Italian joke, but if you

walk up to me and use a disrespectful slur well I don't think it would be a good

idea drunk, or sober.

And I would feel stupid, if in an attempt to be funny, I insulted another

persons heritage. Sometimes a joke can do that, slurs always have that

affect.

Oh, I agree 100%, I was trying to highlight the irony of the political correctness of some (not necessarily anyone specific in this form) who decry prejudice, but then bust on us males of European descent without a second thought.

Here's another reason not to leave Jersey-Kohr Bros' frozen custard. I go down to Ocean City, start at one end of the boardwalk, walk to the other, and stop at each of their stands. It is the best!

Prost!
Brad

"amateurish" in the sense that I would personally like to read something a bit more specific or more academic with some more in depth details as in the case of First Legion who told us that the Murat figures were researched from Faber Du Faur's drawings and they created figures from particular regiments, the "terrible" 57th line and the 61st line at the Battle of Borodino where they made their frontal assaults against the fleches finaly capturing them after taking tremendous losses.

In fact I do appreciate that Andy does the writing himself (as evident in the consistency of his writing style in the internet as well as his brochures). But First Legion has done more thorough research.

I declare no financial interest in First Legion, and I am not saying that First Legion is superior to K&C in all aspects. I am just posting my personal opinion.

This is a little of Apples and Oranges - isn't it ?

King & Country Promo materials focus on the "FIGURES" for sale - not the history - thats why they are promo materials.

I believe First Legion was answering a question asked on the forum - on a particular figure - if you are interested in history, perhaps history books is what you should be reading - not promotional materials. Just a suggestion.

Oh, I agree 100%, I was trying to highlight the irony of the political correctness of some (not necessarily anyone specific in this form) who decry prejudice, but then bust on us males of European descent without a second thought.

Here's another reason not to leave Jersey-Kohr Bros' frozen custard. I go down to Ocean City, start at one end of the boardwalk, walk to the other, and stop at each of their stands. It is the best!

Prost!
Brad

I love the Jersey Shore!

Can just imagine how much fund you had at Ocean City!

Yes, Andy I completely agree also...... no shadow snipers.....I personally have let my thoughts be known very clearly and openly on this forum especially in regards to hording and price gouging.........very available....Frank

I believe Andy was speaking about people who express very negative opinions and won't say whom they are or where their from.

Paul T.

I think your view on "amateurish" for K&C is very "amateurish" - sorry. It's like finding that famous hair in the soup, isn't it. Well you know, I guess that for some figures that are being produced there is no overwhelming story to tell except that it is inspired by a movie, book, real life and natural poses etc...quite disappointing isn't it? :p

Now, who said this forum had become too boring :) Here's my two cents worth, or is that only worth one cent these days.

1) I don't believe Andy C. is a professional writer so clearly some people could consider the brochures amateurishly written. Personally I like his style of writing but each to their own as they say. And why would Andy care so much about such a minor issue anyway, I would have thought he had bigger fish to fry atm.

2) Members have a perfect right to keep their identity secret on the internet if they wish. And no one has a right to try and out them and demand they reveal their identity. Most people have enough issues in their personal life without the added concern of certain forumites taking offence at something said, or perceived said, and seeking some more personal type of payback.

3) I left one forum because it wasn't monitored correctly and the loonies appeared to be running the asylum and I wouldn't like to see that happen here, again. The people that own this forum have their own values and have every right to see those values reflected in their forum. There is no such thing as a truly free country and the closest thing to that is anarchy.

4) I didn't see any post(s) insulting Misses Heid and it's not something I would do despite what some people may say about me.

I think your view on "amateurish" for K&C is very "amateurish" - sorry. It's like finding that famous hair in the soup, isn't it. Well you know, I guess that for some figures that are being produced there is no overwhelming story to tell except that it is inspired by a movie, book, real life and natural poses etc...quite disappointing isn't it? :p

I do admit that I am an amateur. I have a profession in another field and so I am an amateur in history/toy soldier business. Also, English is my second language so I'm also an amateur English writer as well. I don't see what's wrong in being an amateur.

Isn't that what you criticized K&C for? English is not my mother language either, that's why I guess we have to be even more careful what and how we say things..

Isn't that what you criticized K&C for? English is not my mother language either, that's why I guess we have to be even more careful what and how we say things..

I don't see what's wrong in being an amateur. I admit I am an amateur and there's nothing wrong with that. Also, if you're so satisfied with the current standards of toy soldier manufacturers, then it's technology will become stagnant. Nothing will improve at all.

My last post on this: I did not say it was good or bad being an amateur - you slammed K&C's broschures as being "amateurish" and I just wondered why you said that? You gave an answer to that - to which one can agree or not - and now you say that there is nothing bad being an amateur...:confused: I must say you lost me...but that must be me then...

Now, who said this forum had become too boring :) Here's my two cents worth, or is that only worth one cent these days.

1) I don't believe Andy C. is a professional writer so clearly some people could consider the brochures amateurishly written. Personally I like his style of writing but each to their own as they say. And why would Andy care so much about such a minor issue anyway, I would have thought he had bigger fish to fry atm.

2) Members have a perfect right to keep their identity secret on the internet if they wish. And no one has a right to try and out them and demand they reveal their identity. Most people have enough issues in their personal life without the added concern of certain forumites taking offense at something said, or perceived said, and seeking some more personal type of payback.
Well mate you and I have had a few colorful exchanges, hopefully with no hard feelings, certainly none intended. However, in this case I completely agree with the above.;):D With all respect to his craft and his accessibility, I think someone of the stature of the owner of a such very successful and highly revered company needs to focus on something more important than the identity of a forum critic. This is not English football (which I do very much enjoy) after all. Honestly, I didn't even notice it as much a criticism, K&C is known for its modeling, not its literature, is it not? Overall, I would have to say I think this is much to do about nothing. I am even a bit surprised the moderators let the challenge stand, can we all expect the same treatment in the future?

I really don't think Oz intends to insult anyone,except maybe if i mention the final medal table at the Olympics.Then he can be awfully coarse with his language!!:eek::D;)

Rob

"Amateur" has multiple meanings in English, both positive and negative.

When we apply "amateur" as a noun or an adjective, it is often necessary to look at the broader context, to see which meaning applies.

"Amateurish" is always understood as a negative, and if often considered derogatory.

Prost!
Brad

As an example, I belong to a community theater group, and we are an amateur theater, meaning that no one is payed for any work. In fact, we can't get paid, because we don't belong to the actors' unions, and if we joined, we could no longer perform in amateur theater companies. That is the positive meaning of "amateur", going back to the original Latin, meaning "one who loves". We do the work, because we love to do it, rather than for money.

However, if a critic watches one of our shows, and describes in the newspaper as "amateurish", that is taken by anyone who reads it to mean that he does not think very much of our work, that it is below standards that identify quality performance. We would take it as an insult (though that specific example happens all the time, and we just ignore it).

Hope that helps to illustrate.

Prost!
Brad

As an example, I belong to a community theater group, and we are an amateur theater, meaning that no one is payed for any work. In fact, we can't get paid, because we don't belong to the actors' unions, and if we joined, we could no longer perform in amateur theater companies. That is the positive meaning of "amateur", going back to the original Latin, meaning "one who loves". We do the work, because we love to do it, rather than for money.

However, if a critic watches one of our shows, and describes in the newspaper as "amateurish", that is taken by anyone who reads it to mean that he does not think very much of our work, that it is below standards that identify quality performance. We would take it as an insult (though that specific example happens all the time, and we just ignore it).

Hope that helps to illustrate.

Prost!
Brad

An excellant example Brad.May i also offer an example.When a group of Amateurs come together as a team but with little success its known as 'The England National football team';)

Rob

an excellant example brad.may i also offer an example.when a group of amateurs come together as a team but with little success its known as 'the england national football team';)

rob

lol!

Well mate you and I have had a few colorful exchanges, hopefully with no hard feelings, certainly none intended. However, in this case I completely agree with the above.;):D With all respect to his craft and his accessibility, I think someone of the stature of the owner of a such very successful and highly revered company needs to focus on something more important than the identity of a forum critic. This is not English football (which I do very much enjoy) after all. Honestly, I didn't even notice it as much a criticism, K&C is known for its modeling, not its literature, is it not? Overall, I would have to say I think this is much to do about nothing. I am even a bit surprised the moderators let the challenge stand, can we all expect the same treatment in the future?

Very well said......

An excellant example Brad.May i also offer an example.When a group of Amateurs come together as a team but with little success its known as 'The England National football team';)

Rob

:D:D:D:D. That's a good one...But sometimes they do look professional, like in the last game against Croatia, don't they? Cloning Glenn Hoddle ( as a player )would also help:D . Portugal did look amateurish against Denmark in September, how could they let the Danes score those 2 goals in the last minutes? Were they back in kindergarten?

Sorry, a little bit out of thread.

Cheers,
Paulo

Mr. Andy N,

What's the relevance of my name/identity to you?

I don't think that my name will mean anything to you at all, unless you want to delete my name from your Connoisseur Collectors Club and not allow me to buy anymore products from you with 10% discount (and the birthday extra-discount)

But in case you suspect that I belong to anyone of the manufacturers, I actually don't. All the things that I wrote belong to my personal opinion. Here are 10 facts about me in order to help you to loosen up...

1. I live in Hong Kong
2. I am a Hong Kong Chinese
3. I work as a physician
4. My age is 30.
5. I am your collector's club member
6. My first K&C set was bought in the Pacific Place shop (The Royal Hong Kong Regiment) in the early 90's
7. I've collected almost the entire NAP, AK and LAH sets.

8. I still look forward to K&C producing more People's Liberation Army, 1997 Hong Kong handover ceremony tropical Black watch, royal navy and RAF on parade. Also Napoleonic Polish Lancers and more Berlin 1938 German Goosestepping LAH, Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe on parade. Also Luftwaffe ground crew and pilots to compliment the warbirds.

9. I was invited to your King & Country Annual Lucky Draw held on Friday February 15th 2008 as a valued customer. However, I missed it because I was busy at work. I emailed Ms Joanne So and asked for the special AK figure, but she wouldn't give me one. I regret very much for missing the chance for the special figure which I like a lot. (Can you still spare me an extra one if any stocks left in your office?)

10. I truly doubt if I would be invited to the lucky draw next year again, because I couldn't afford spending the prerequisite amount of money to join again. And probably you'll hate seeing me.

Andy, I hope this helps. Deep in my heart, I am a big fan of your toy soldiers (but not the high price). I've followed K&C for over 18 years. I apologize if you think that I've been rude in my past comments. Sometimes I give comments to make the point that there's still a lot of room for K&C to improve. (i.e. K&C can pay attention to some details in design and without raising the price for production cost)

Andy, I hope you'll understand my good intentions...
And I look forward to your response.

A reasonable response........ shows class......

How do you know if you learned from prior experience on this forum? Hint - you do not post on a thread like this one and move on. Ooops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back