Plastic Spartan pics (2 Viewers)

Boy you are fast, care to paint some of mine then.:D;)

I have several sets of Persians and Spartans but waiting anxiously for the plastic reinforcements to plug the gaps with their variable poses.:cool:

Okay, maybe a little optimistic..;)
I've held off buying any of the Perisan metal sets, but have done some very minor alterations to the Conte plastic Arab sets, as these are more in keeping with the '300' Persian army (however historically inaccurate they may be :rolleyes:). Still not got round to painting them up yet, and still have many more thousands to do, but, it's a start.

I've held off buying any of the Perisan metal sets, but have done some very minor alterations to the Conte plastic Arab sets, as these are more in keeping with the '300' Persian army (however historically inaccurate they may be :rolleyes:). ....
Interesting, I will have to take a look at the Conte Arabs then; although thank the maker Conte didn't copy either set of "uniforms" from the 300.:rolleyes:

I've held off buying any of the Perisan metal sets, but have done some very minor alterations to the Conte plastic Arab sets, as these are more in keeping with the '300' Persian army (however historically inaccurate they may be :rolleyes:). Still not got round to painting them up yet, and still have many more thousands to do, but, it's a start.

Looks like the Green paint prices will be rising. Better stock up Simon before Jeff beats you to it........The Lt.

Should be alright for these ones. Got a huge stock of red and shiney colours. ;)

Looks like the Green paint prices will be rising. Better stock up Simon before Jeff beats you to it........The Lt.

..............:p:D

Actually I will for once be requiring an awful lot of Green for my next project. :cool:

Jeff

The Conte shop has said the red spartans will be released first. Does anyone think they will be harder or easier to paint than the gold and grey ones?

The Conte shop has said the red spartans will be released first. Does anyone think they will be harder or easier to paint than the gold and grey ones?

It won't matter for me, as I'll spray them all with a primer first anyway. I usually go for grey primer, but due to the main bulk of the colours being red, flesh or gold, I might try a red auto primer instead.

It won't matter for me, as I'll spray them all with a primer first anyway. I usually go for grey primer, but due to the main bulk of the colours being red, flesh or gold, I might try a red auto primer instead.

Don't fancy GREEN then! :eek:.................sorry :eek:

Green jokes aside.......how many Spartans are you going to be painting? Must admit they look v.nice in their metal version. I have never painted plastic soldiers before and I am looking forward to your stage by stage report :)

Jeff

Don't fancy GREEN then! :eek:.................sorry :eek:

Green jokes aside.......how many Spartans are you going to be painting? Must admit they look v.nice in their metal version. I have never painted plastic soldiers before and I am looking forward to your stage by stage report :)

Jeff

I've pre-ordered all 9 cards of 7 figures a piece, so....er.....hang on....63 - almost ran out of fingers and toes there :eek:

I think Conte may have got this figure selection right. There are 5 poses which are the same for each card, but they are all the ones you would want to use to make up a phalanx, which I guess an awful lot of collectors will be wanting to do. Then there will be a further 18 poses, 2 per card, which are all different. These individual poses are the dead and dying, of the 'glory' poses, so I think RC has got the balance right in terms of both what collectors will actually want (more or less) and having a marketing strategy that should sell reasonable numbers.

I usuually try and batch paint plastic, eg, all flesh for all figures, then all red etc, but with this number, I may break it down in to smaller numbers and do them batch by batch. I might be doing this for some time....

Green Spartans.....hmmmm.....not sure it will catch on :rolleyes:

Speaking of painting, what brand and colors are you guys using to paint up the Spartans? I will try my hand at painting some plastic ones, but would like them to match my metal ones.

Speaking of painting, what brand and colors are you guys using to paint up the Spartans? I will try my hand at painting some plastic ones, but would like them to match my metal ones.

I'll be using the Games Workshop range. They're a bit lacking in 20/21st C camo colours, but have a nice range of more vibrant colours and they cover very nicely. They've got 4 or 5 reds, each very slightly different, which allows for subtle shadowing and highlights without the need for mixing up. They've also got 3 or 4 flesh colours.

I like Vallejo as well, but I just haven't got much of a range yet, and the Games Workshop headquarters is 5 minutes away from where I live, so it's easy to pop in and stock up.

They've also agreed not to provide any green paint to anyone named 'Jeff', so they're a ready supply in this area also.

Simon

Do you all see any problems with painting the variable arms, heads and hands?

Yeah, I'd wondered about that, but I think if I'm going to spend the time invloved in painting them, I'll probably pose them how I want and then add a spot of glue to keep them in place. I know it kind of defeats the purpose of having posable figures a bit, but I'd hate to get them painted up and then have the paint start cracking because a hand or weapon had been nudged.

There may also be slight gaps in the articulated parts of the figures, which may look a bit unnatural once painted, but with out seeing them in person, this is pure speculation on my part.

...but I'd hate to get them painted up and then have the paint start cracking because a hand or weapon had been nudged.

There may also be slight gaps in the articulated parts of the figures, which may look a bit unnatural once painted, but with out seeing them in person, this is pure speculation on my part.
I was afraid this could be an issue and you glue in place option may be a necessary evil. Are there any acceptable paints that would not crack with the movement?

I was afraid this could be an issue and you glue in place option may be a necessary evil. Are there any acceptable paints that would not crack with the movement?

I can't think that there could be any. Some paints have a degree more 'elasticity' than others, if that's the right expression, but I can't think how any would cope with that sort of degree of movement.

I can't think that there could be any. Some paints have a degree more 'elasticity' than others, if that's the right expression, but I can't think how any would cope with that sort of degree of movement.
Well no, I didn't mean to imply that you would paint over the sockets but rather, hopefully, into them to a degree where the issue would be friction. Maybe that is a false hope given how they may be done. I guess I am struggling with how much clearance you will have within the movable joints vs. how much thickness the paint will add. I would be great if you could stain them.:D:D

Well no, I didn't mean to imply that you would paint over the sockets but rather, hopefully, into them to a degree where the issue would be friction. Maybe that is a false hope given how they may be done. I guess I am struggling with how much clearance you will have within the movable joints vs. how much thickness the paint will add. I would be great if you could stain them.:D:D

Sorry, misinterpretted what you meant. I guess we'll have to wait for them to show up to know for certain, but I'd have thought any messing around with the movement runs a pretty high chance of knackering up a paint job.

They should stain up fine. As long as it's a red stain. ;):D

I'll be gluing them once posed, Converted, whatever.NOT having to cut too many of them apart to repose is a definate plus. Just pose twist and glue.Then Primered dark grey, maybe even black.
I want to do some Mercenary Hoplites and waiting to get my hands on some to see what I have to do to clean off the Lambda symbol off the Hoplon.
Heres some pix of metal Conte. Some on the flank are the converted Atlantics I mentioned.
I have some Plastic Underground Persians primered and have painted exactly ,1.
Interesting about the Arab converts.I'll have to look at that.Hmmm?
FUB300+.jpg

300+++.jpg

300++++.jpg

3000.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back