Plastic Spartan pics (2 Viewers)

Great display! Do you use any of the East of India Greeks? I find them to be alot more accurate seeing that each Spartan painted their own emblem on their shield when they fought the persians at Thermopylae.As much as I wanted to be historically correct I still bought almost all the conte sets just on looks alone.

Great display! Do you use any of the East of India Greeks? I find them to be alot more accurate seeing that each Spartan painted their own emblem on their shield when they fought the persians at Thermopylae.As much as I wanted to be historically correct I still bought almost all the conte sets just on looks alone.
I am not sure what you mean by more accurate. The Spartans did use the lamda shields and that are the only Greeks that Conte has done with the exception of the three CCC figures that have different designs?
Both lines have their merits and unfortunately they do not mix well because of the large size differences.:(:( I just think the Conte poses are too dramatic to beat.:D

I'll be gluing them once posed, Converted, whatever.NOT having to cut too many of them apart to repose is a definate plus. Just pose twist and glue.Then Primered dark grey, maybe even black.
I want to do some Mercenary Hoplites and waiting to get my hands on some to see what I have to do to clean off the Lambda symbol off the Hoplon.
Heres some pix of metal Conte. Some on the flank are the converted Atlantics I mentioned.
I have some Plastic Underground Persians primered and have painted exactly ,1.
Interesting about the Arab converts.I'll have to look at that.Hmmm?
FUB
Fubar, that is a glorious display. Now I know why the Conte Spartans have been out of stock for so long.:D:D You are well on your way to 300 already.:cool: I must show this to my wife when she remarks that I have too many.:rolleyes::D

Fubar, wow indeed!

It appears that you have all 10,000 Immortals!:D

Excellent stuff as usual from the master of the table top set up.

Jeff

I could be wrong but it was my understanding that the spartans did not use the lamda until later. I have been told by numerous people that take special interest in this portion of history that the spartans in particular the "300" painted their own emblems on their shields (not the lamda). By no means is this my area of expertise I'm more of a WWII buff trying to get into ancient greeks and if the lamda was used here it would be good to know.

I could be wrong but it was my understanding that the spartans did not use the lamda until later. I have been told by numerous people that take special interest in this portion of history that the spartans in particular the "300" painted their own emblems on their shields (not the lamda). ....
This is not something on which there appears to be full agreement. It is known that the Spartans used individual patterns through sometime in the late 5th century BC and that they used the lamda in the 4th century. It is also known that other Greeks, the Mantineians, may have adopted a standard pattern (the trident of Posidon) by the mid 5th century. The exact turnover date for the Spartans does not seem to be known and some experts believe that the lamda was used first not for Homoioi (full citizens), but for helots that were serving as hoplites. As for the for the 300, each side has its informed proponents. Given this uncertainty, I am happy to use the lamda and to paraphase the Duke, well if it wasn't that way, it dam**d sure should've been.";):D I do this for fun so whatever you decide, enjoy it.:D

I 'll have to check my WRG research books and see what they have to say about shield designs for Spartans , ect.Helmets too.
I'm happy with the Conte figs regardless.
Theres less than 50 there in the pix.Immortals , maybe 80 or so.It just looks like more.
I'm going to look around and see what kind of 2 horse plastic chariots are available.Reamsa made some , maybe Marx. I 'll make those work inaccurate though they may be and convert a Plastic Underground Persian for drivers and add archers or javelin men. Cavalry? No Idea where to start.
Italeri and Zveda make gorgeous 1/72 Ancients. If we could only see them in 1/32.

Believe me, 5 years ago painting Persians was the last thing on my to do list.
Okay, Elizabethan era is dead last but you know what I mean.
FUB

...Theres less than 50 there in the pix.Immortals , maybe 80 or so.It just looks like more.
...FUB
Well I only have 30 or so Spartans and about 40 Immortals, including wounded and dead so it likes like you have most of the sets. I have about all of the Spartans except the extra Leonidas and wounded and dead ones. Same for the Immortals except for the marching ones and the archers. I was hoping to suppliment heavily with the plastics. By the way, I keep using the "it just looks like more" line with my wife but it doesn't seem to take.:D

That is too cool Fub.:cool:
Great display. If that's only a 50 / 80 Spartan / Persian mix, how much space am I gonna need for 300 / 10,000? :confused::eek:

Nice pictures Harold. I did not know you did Spartans and Persians. What a battle! John

You know Fub, your great display has given me a serious feeling of "Thermopylae Gap"; must find more Spartans and Persians or lose.:D:D

I 'll have to check my WRG research books and see what they have to say about shield designs for Spartans , ect.Helmets too.
I'm happy with the Conte figs regardless.
Theres less than 50 there in the pix.Immortals , maybe 80 or so.It just looks like more.
I'm going to look around and see what kind of 2 horse plastic chariots are available.Reamsa made some , maybe Marx. I 'll make those work inaccurate though they may be and convert a Plastic Underground Persian for drivers and add archers or javelin men. Cavalry? No Idea where to start.
Italeri and Zveda make gorgeous 1/72 Ancients. If we could only see them in 1/32.

Believe me, 5 years ago painting Persians was the last thing on my to do list.
Okay, Elizabethan era is dead last but you know what I mean.
FUB

Fub,
I haven't got any of these yet, but am considering having a closer look, but,
In light of a lack of plastic Persians some of the Italeri plastic sets may prove close enough, either straight from the box, or with minor alterations. I'd be interested in thoughts...

Italeri Saracens:

ItaleriSaracens.jpg

ItaleriSaracens2.jpg

Italeri Mongols:

ItaleriMongols.jpg

Italeri Chariot:

ItaleriChariot1.jpg

ItaleriChariot2.jpg

I'm also thinking of getting some old Britains Deetail Saracens, doing some minor tweaks and a repaint. Shouldn't look too far off.
It's a shame Jason (Plastic Underground) isn't selling his figures at the moment. I could do with getting a whole bunch more.

Simon

Well I only have 30 or so Spartans and about 40 Immortals, including wounded and dead so it likes like you have most of the sets. I have about all of the Spartans except the extra Leonidas and wounded and dead ones. Same for the Immortals except for the marching ones and the archers. I was hoping to suppliment heavily with the plastics. By the way, I keep using the "it just looks like more" line with my wife but it doesn't seem to take.:D

How did that strategey work out?

Fub,
I haven't got any of these yet, but am considering having a closer look, but,
In light of a lack of plastic Persians some of the Italeri plastic sets may prove close enough, either straight from the box, or with minor alterations. I'd be interested in thoughts...

Italeri Saracens:

ItaleriSaracens.jpg

Italeri Mongols:

ItaleriMongols.jpg

Italeri Chariot:

ItaleriChariot1.jpg

I'm also thinking of getting some old Britains Deetail Saracens, doing some minor tweaks and a repaint. Shouldn't look too far off.
It's a shame Jason (Plastic Underground) isn't selling his figures at the moment. I could do with getting a whole bunch more.

Simon
Those Italeri figures look pretty nice, especially the Saracens. How do they compare in size with the Conte Spartans? I like Jason's figures but they seem a little on the small side for use with the Contes, they seem to fit better with EoE, especially the Persians.

Any chance of seeing a photo of the Mogols and the Charriot assembled?

Those Italeri figures look pretty nice, especially the Saracens. How do they compare in size with the Conte Spartans? I like Jason's figures but they seem a little on the small side for use with the Contes, they seem to fit better with EoE, especially the Persians.

Any chance of seeing a photo of the Mogols and the Charriot assembled?

I've not seen them in the flesh, but I would guess that they'd be a little on the small side, but I suspect almost anything out there in plastic at the moment will be a little small.

I'll be gluing them once posed, Converted, whatever.NOT having to cut too many of them apart to repose is a definate plus. Just pose twist and glue.Then Primered dark grey, maybe even black.
I want to do some Mercenary Hoplites and waiting to get my hands on some to see what I have to do to clean off the Lambda symbol off the Hoplon.
Heres some pix of metal Conte. Some on the flank are the converted Atlantics I mentioned.
I have some Plastic Underground Persians primered and have painted exactly ,1.
Interesting about the Arab converts.I'll have to look at that.Hmmm?

View attachment 17377
Say Fubar, I was looking these over again and I notice in the attached photo that your "Welcome to the Hot Gates" Spartan seems much higher in the air than mine. Mine, if has the bottom of his schield new the Persian spear but yours seems well above that, is that correct? Also, could you post a better closeup of the Atlantics maybe next to some Conte Spartans, they look pretty good. Are they available anywhere?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back