PRE-SHOW RELEASE - Tropical 88 & Prime Mover (5 Viewers)

Honestly, the prime move and 88 set by themselves are not on par with the average collector's budget (in Canadian dollars they total over $500!!). So I'm not sure another $100 for a rider set would be much of an obstacle to those (certainly not me) who can afford these sets already. For some, money is no object. For everyone else there's reality.

I actually like the fact that these items are a little more expensive than others. I think it adds to the exclusivity of the product and the hobby itself. I have mentioned this before, but not in regards to Figarti until I saw this post.

I actually like the fact that these items are a little more expensive than others. I think it adds to the exclusivity of the product and the hobby itself. I have mentioned this before, but not in regards to Figarti until I saw this post.

Well that's one way of looking at it. It is considered a rich man's hobby after all. But then we wonder why the newer generations coming up have no interest in collecting toy soldiers. They just don't perceive the value for the money like we do.

As much as I liked it, I had to cancel it. I'm getting a Priest, which I hope to pick up in Chicago and if I got this, by the time I got to Chicago, I would have little money and who knows what Rick might have in Chicago for sale. However, I know that I have made someone else happy, so how bad can that be? :)

As much as I liked it, I had to cancel it. I'm getting a Priest, which I hope to pick up in Chicago and if I got this, by the time I got to Chicago, I would have little money and who knows what Rick might have in Chicago for sale. However, I know that I have made someone else happy, so how bad can that be? :)

I am virtually in the same boat. I reserved the tropical set but am also getting the Priest and Sherman with stacks. The recent rapid release of popular Figarti pieces has put a real strain on the TS budget. And we expect a few more announcements before Chicago :eek:

Terry

I'm letting this one go too,its very nice but i have a feeling even better things are coming from Figarti during Chicago, so i'm keeping my powder dry.

Rob

The job of a manufacturer/retailer is to get customers to buy your product. That's what the job of marketing is and people like Andy and Rick are very good marketers.

No offense to Rick since his products are top notch but making 100 of something creates a certain mob psychology that if you don't order it, you'll be shut out, and you end up making purchasing decisions that you might not otherwise make. Due to the exigencies of the moment, you're not making these decisions rationally. It's what I call the Lemming effect. We're each trying to see how fast we can go over the cliff.

Again, no disrespect to Rick because he makes an excellent product, but he also knows how to get people to buy them :)

The job of a manufacturer/retailer is to get customers to buy your product. That's what the job of marketing is and people like Andy and Rick are very good marketers.

No offense to Rick since his products are top notch but making 100 of something creates a certain mob psychology that if you don't order it, you'll be shut out, and you end up making purchasing decisions that you might not otherwise make. Due to the exigencies of the moment, you're not making these decisions rationally. It's what I call the Lemming effect. We're each trying to see how fast we can go over the cliff.

Again, no disrespect to Rick because he makes an excellent product, but he also knows how to get people to buy them :)
Brad makes a most excellent point here. Because of financial considerations, I cannot afford to be rushed into purchasing a very limited (read 100) release just to get it before it is gone. This limited release has the effect of shutting me and many others completely out of the market. I look at Figarti and am really impressed with their product but at the same time I know I will never be purchasing a product that requires a large cash outlay NOW just so I do not miss it. Get a release that will be around long enough for me to budget it in to my purchases and that is where my money will go. JMO. -- lancer

One other point is that, yes, I may miss out on some of these, like that Sherman but -- you know what -- you can't get everything and life goes on. It's not that crucial that you can't learn to live without it.

Figarti make pretty much 100 of everything though. I rather think that may be the magic number for them in terms of sales.
If they made 500 of the winter 88 it would probably hang around forever.

100 seems fine to me - it seems most people that want one seem to get one.

The products have a buzz about them. Everyone's happy.

Figarti make pretty much 100 of everything though. I rather think that may be the magic number for them in terms of sales.
If they made 500 of the winter 88 it would probably hang around forever.

100 seems fine to me - it seems most people that want one seem to get one.

The products have a buzz about them. Everyone's happy.

I think 100 may be too few for a popular or long awaited piece. As a guess, I don't think their runs have ever gone above 300 and many of their earlier releases of these larger runs are still available. However, they have improved their quality and lowered their prices so 100 is just too small a supply IMO.

It would help greatly, Rick, if multiple versions of the same models (i.e. the 88s and prime movers) were announced at the same time. The mad rush for the winter version may preclude sales of the tropical version which may have been the first choice of some collectors had they known about it. And some who really wanted the winter version didn't get it- lost out to collectors who may have waited for the tropical version.

IMO There is no need for a model to sell out before it is shipped to dealers. Rapid turnover should be acceptable to dealers and manufacturers. So I don't think everyone is happy.

Terry

I'm not making judgments about their financial model. That's not for me to question, especially since I'm not privy to it. I'm just saying for me that I won't succumb to that kind of pressure.

As far as everybody being happy, I don't see how you could say that. Those who got it and want to ante up quickly are. Those who can't and/or won't be pressured aren't. I know Rick wants to create that buzz. However, I have found that eventually the buzz wears off and finacial reality takes over.

These are just my opinions and what I have to do for myself. Everyone has to do what is right for them.

Yeah you folks are probably right that 100 is too few then.
Not sure what the correct amount would be as quite a few of the models issued as 100 are still hanging around.
I guess it's impossible to tell what will sell until it sells.
It's similar to K&C testing the plane market with 400 Hurricanes.
400 is an extremely low number for K&C you'd think.
But that magic buzz is suddenly there.

Yeah you folks are probably right that 100 is too few then.
Not sure what the correct amount would be as quite a few of the models issued as 100 are still hanging around.
I guess it's impossible to tell what will sell until it sells.
It's similar to K&C testing the plane market with 400 Hurricanes.
400 is an extremely low number for K&C you'd think.
But that magic buzz is suddenly there.

No doubt about it James there is definitely a buzz again,and its centred on two companies.There is an avalanche of great stuff right now and thats why i've let the latest 88 go.So much else to buy and i also think that both leading producers will be doing more 88's in the near future.Bring on Chicago first and then London.:)

Rob

If I remember correctly from the WestCoater, Rick's decision to limit production to 100 pcs was in anticipation to lower demand due to the recession. Andy said his production runs would be smaller too, although he obviously didn't give numbers.

Frankly, I think that either Rick wasn't aware of the overwhelming popularity of the 88 among collectors or he didn't want to make an exception and produce more than 100 just because it would easily sell out.

Well, the thing about all of these , is Rick's mentality has been. Give us what we need The priest(have we not been dying for one, to be made again??. its here), The 88 and prime mover (possibly been asking for it, for almost an eternity, yep its here, twice). Weren't we asking just to get a chance to get one or the other? It is in our grasp, it is to be had. and like the K&C models. It is not there now! The demand is there but its not there. Figarti is saying, if you really want it, its here. But do not wait. As everything, In life. Its not guaranteed to be there if you do wait.
And as far as it being limited, why make more than what is needed?? Why make more and risk the chance of it being not sold because of another months releases, Why??

If I remember correctly from the WestCoater, Rick's decision to limit production to 100 pcs was in anticipation to lower demand due to the recession. Andy said his production runs would be smaller too, although he obviously didn't give numbers.

Frankly, I think that either Rick wasn't aware of the overwhelming popularity of the 88 among collectors or he didn't want to make an exception and produce more than 100 just because it would easily sell out.

I've heard he was shocked and unhappy with the insane response to the Firefly, 88 and Prime Mover and was concerned about people buying several and reselling on e-bay. But pent up demand for a Firefly and an 88 combined with a small production run and you see what happened.

Terry

I would love to see a Normandy 88 and prime-mover. By the same token, I would like to see it in a larger edition than 100. An edition of 100 would likely be snapped up a lot faster than I could purchase it. An edition size that would allow it to stay available for more than 2 days, say, 2-3 months, would be greatly appreciated by me and a few others I think.:) -- lancer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back