Recent purchases from Russian Manufacturers (1 Viewer)

Thanks Zach! Glad you like 'em. Charlemagne was actually never in stock. Those are pictures of the prototype on the Aeroart website.

Joe

A bit of a departure, but were other members aware that the growing consensus among historians is that one of the triggers of the Viking age was Charlemagne's massacre of Saxons nobles who had surrendered after a rebellion sparked by the destruction of sacred groves from their old religion? They did not show it in the series Vikings on TV (since they had never heard of Briton or Christianity) but in real life most of the captured priests were drowned just like what happen to Charlemagne's captured Saxons. At least from the Saxon's and other pagan Germanic tribes (including the people we refer to as Vikings) Charlemagne broke an oath when he did this.

It is also interesting that this is supposedly the only "blemish" on Charlemagne's record.

...6398 Emperor Charlemagne Aeroart St. Petersburg Collection prototype
This figure is mesmerizing; beautiful sculpt and immaculate paint work.

That's a great figure, but there's one problem, and that's his crown. I don't think he wore a crown with fleurs-de-Lys on it. There is a crown called the "Crown of Charlemagne", similar to the one on this figure, but he never wore it; it was forged a generation after his death. Same goes for the crown in the old Imperial Crown of the Holy Roman Empire, with its eight hinged plates, it was forged at least a generation after his death, though it came to be associated with him, in images in later centuries.

This page shows two more likely examples of the crowns he may have worn: http://www.charlemagne.org/ic.html

There was a similar issue a couple of years ago, with a figure bust of Alfred the Great, showing him with a crown with fleurs-de-Lys, which I think are an anachronism for the King of Wessex. But they looked cool, so the sculptor used them.

Prost!
Brad

A bit of a departure, but were other members aware that the growing consensus among historians is that one of the triggers of the Viking age was Charlemagne's massacre of Saxons nobles who had surrendered after a rebellion sparked by the destruction of sacred groves from their old religion?...

I'm not so sure I agree with that explanation. The Vikings were already raiding the coasts of northern Europe when Charlemagne ascending to the kingship of the Franks, and they were bound to range out from Scandinavia eventually. I think the two are coincidental, rather than that one caused the other. I am certainly skeptical that the Vikings raided because they thought the Franks or anyone else broke an oath or any other agreement.

Prost!
Brad

I'm not so sure I agree with that explanation. The Vikings were already raiding the coasts of northern Europe when Charlemagne ascending to the kingship of the Franks, and they were bound to range out from Scandinavia eventually. I think the two are coincidental, rather than that one caused the other. I am certainly skeptical that the Vikings raided because they thought the Franks or anyone else broke an oath or any other agreement.

Prost!
Brad

Interesting. It definitely got my interest to learn more about Charlemagne going.

That's a great figure, but there's one problem, and that's his crown. I don't think he wore a crown with fleurs-de-Lys on it. There is a crown called the "Crown of Charlemagne", similar to the one on this figure, but he never wore it; it was forged a generation after his death. Same goes for the crown in the old Imperial Crown of the Holy Roman Empire, with its eight hinged plates, it was forged at least a generation after his death, though it came to be associated with him, in images in later centuries.

This page shows two more likely examples of the crowns he may have worn: http://www.charlemagne.org/ic.html

There was a similar issue a couple of years ago, with a figure bust of Alfred the Great, showing him with a crown with fleurs-de-Lys, which I think are an anachronism for the King of Wessex. But they looked cool, so the sculptor used them.

Prost!
Brad

I think it was modeled on this crown:

Joe

I think it was modeled on this crown:

Joe

Possibly, but still an anachronism, as is the armor he's wearing in that image. I do think it was modeled on the "Crown of Charlemagne", as depicted in an illustration in this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_of_Charlemagne. It really resembles that one, that the early French used.

I do concede, that before I researched this yesterday, I'd have said that the crown should be the Imperial crown, because that's the one I've seen depicted in images of Charlemagne, albeit images made long after his death. But I learned that that crown was forged later. It was also the model for the crown used in insignia in the Second Reich, which was another reason that I figured it was the actual crown from his reign.

Prost!
Brad

For me, i collect the Russian figures for the appearance of them. I have many that are absolutely not historically accurate. It doesn't bother me at all because in my collection, they are mainly stand alone figures. If making a diorama I can see that accuracy would matter. basically for me - if it's pretty I'm in! {sm3}

Although not the norm for this thread, this was sculpted by a Russian, so figured it was close enough to post here!
This is called "Is it Serious" Scuplted by Nelya Vitvitska and Painted by Christos Panagiotopoulos
I think it is absolutely amazing and am so happy to add it to my collection! The casting was stock and I commissioned Christos to paint it for me.

Is%20It%20Serious%20img2-XL.jpg

Is%20It%20Serious%20img1-XL.jpg

Is%20It%20Serious%20img3-XL.jpg

For me, i collect the Russian figures for the appearance of them. I have many that are absolutely not historically accurate. It doesn't bother me at all because in my collection, they are mainly stand alone figures. If making a diorama I can see that accuracy would matter. basically for me - if it's pretty I'm in! {sm3}

I agree about the appearance, and for enjoying them. For me, though, too, accuracy can be a factor, given the price of the figure. If I'm going to pay the prices the figures go for, my expectations go up.

Prost!
Brad

Although not the norm for this thread, this was sculpted by a Russian, so figured it was close enough to post here!
This is called "Is it Serious" Scuplted by Nelya Vitvitska and Painted by Christos Panagiotopoulos
I think it is absolutely amazing and am so happy to add it to my collection! The casting was stock and I commissioned Christos to paint it for me...

That's a beautiful rendition, Zach! That's an Andrea kit, isn't it? They have a couple of Rockwell illustrations rendered in 3D in their catalog.

Prost!
Brad

I think it is absolutely amazing and am so happy to add it to my collection! The casting was stock and I commissioned Christos to paint it for me.

This is absolutely fantastic !

Am sending the link for this to my daughters.

Thank you so much for posting.

Is%20It%20Serious%20img2-XL.jpg

Is%20It%20Serious%20img1-XL.jpg

Is%20It%20Serious%20img3-XL.jpg

One of the finest kits/subjects I ever saw.
And the finish you received from Christos is absolutely stunning.
I love this set.
Very much ;-)

Konrad

A while back we had a thread on here about our "holy grail" figure/set. In that thread, mine was Catherine the Great's Carriage. I had been looking for it for years and had no luck at all. Well....Call me Indiana Jones because the grail has been found! I apologize for the sheer number of photos, but I just love this thing and it's huge and want to show it all!!! ( I also apologize that some of the photos aren't the best, but I can't fit this thing in my light box to take proper photos)

2017-02-17%2023.08.23-XL.jpg

2017-02-17%2023.08.31-XL.jpg

2017-02-17%2023.08.51-XL.jpg

2017-02-17%2023.08.41-XL.jpg

2017-02-17%2023.09.00-XL.jpg

HOLY BLEEP! {eek3} {eek3}

That is one of the most amazing things I've seen in this hobby.

To say congratulations seems so inadequate but Congratulations!

Freakin' amazing ^&cool ^&cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back