Rom048 elephant crew (1 Viewer)

my Thomas Gunn Roman elephant arrived today...

it's pretty awesome...from tail to trunk...this is a nice piece...

I'm very happy with it...

it's frickin' heavy...and I like that...the weight is impressive and substantial...the detail is pretty awesome...

it's packed in a hard rigid black foam...not the black soft foam they pack their figures in...

the rigid black foam is very tight and firm...not flexible at all...making it hard to remove it from the box...

the foam will not open to your finger pressure...it is very rigid...and a little hard to remove the pieces...

if you have ordered one or received one and not opened it yet...

I think the best way to remove it safely from the box...

is to place a cutting board or some flat surface on top of the open box over the foam....
then turn it upside down and allow all the foam and contents to be gently removed....
there will be 3 layers of rigid foam with the pieces still firmly in place...
separate the layers to easily and safely remove your pieces...

good job Tommy Gunn...

Spot on Mike with your comments re removal. Dead scared I was going to break something in my haste to remove. One of the heaviest pieces I can remember getting. Was a little concerned about previous discussion on the head shape of the elephant, but thankfully it looks just fine. Really happy with this, although quite expensive, glad to have it. Nice work TG. Robin.
Ps watch out before Christmas as it makes a grand entrance on my diorama thread 'Time on my hands at last', I think you will be impressed.

Some more picks of ROM EN 011 Carthaginian elephant, crew and combatants that will make up this first release of the Punic wars.

103.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

117.jpg

120.jpg

Quite a worthy follow on from the Roman version we feel.

Best wishes Gunn

Excellent pose of the Elephant; very aggressive with the trunk raised. The details are very nice and the two man crew in the castle is very realistic.

Just when I think I can slope off into a dark corner and buy stuff from other manufacturers (fixers for my obsesion!). Then something else from TG looms over the horizon. What a stunner. Its again one of those Saturday mornings in Kiwiland. 16 new TG figures to open once I have Skypied back to the UK.

What's an overused term from you toy soldier kids. A MUST HAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kappy dayz - Gary

Agree Gary, this is going to be difficult to resist. Dramatic piece for sure. Robin.

What is the price and delivery window for the new TG War Elephant? Will an unpainted version be available?

The new Elephant will also work as a Macedonian War Elephant. The Carthaginians employed many Macedonian mercenaries, thus the crew would still be correct IMO.

What is the price and delivery window for the new TG War Elephant? Will an unpainted version be available?

The new Elephant will also work as a Macedonian War Elephant. The Carthaginians employed many Macedonian mercenaries, thus the crew would still be correct IMO.

This new beast of war will be available next month with deliveries being sent over 3 months to us and yes there will be an unpainted version available.

Interesting that the just released FL Persian War Elephant has the same pose and Howdah. The ears are smaller though as would be expected in an Asian Elephant versus an African Forest Elephant; which is correct for the Carthaginian Wars. The TG War elephant is a great buy compared to the FL piece at almost twice the price IMO.

Some more picks of ROM EN 011 Carthaginian elephant, crew and combatants that will make up this first release of the Punic wars.

View attachment 231853

View attachment 231854

View attachment 231855

View attachment 231856

View attachment 231857

Quite a worthy follow on from the Roman version we feel.

Best wishes Gunn

Understand mine is currently in the air, must have huge ears. Expect it in the near future and will join my Roman ranks as a captured trophy. Robin.

Interesting that the just released FL Persian War Elephant has the same pose and Howdah. The ears are smaller though as would be expected in an Asian Elephant versus an African Forest Elephant; which is correct for the Carthaginian Wars. The TG War elephant is a great buy compared to the FL piece at almost twice the price IMO.

I wasn't aware that FL announced pricing of any forthcoming elephants. Did I miss something?

Joe

$895. vs $499. Which would you pick?... If your a die hard FL fan, you will pick that one. If you want an elephant with 4 to 5 more figures you will pick the TG one. I think they both look fantastic!!...

I personally am on the fence between the two. Larger interest in Rome than in Greek history. The FL I think is handpainted.

The TG Elephant is also hand painted. I am particularly interested in why both Elephants have the same features; which suggests a common source. The TG Elephant availability unpainted is really nice for those collectors without deep pockets, who can paint; which is why I learned to paint. Champagne taste and a beer budget as they used to say, back in the day.

I personally am on the fence between the two. Larger interest in Rome than in Greek history. The FL I think is handpainted.

The TG Elephant is also hand painted. I am particularly interested in why both Elephants have the same features; which suggests a common source. The TG Elephant availability unpainted is really nice for those collectors without deep pockets, who can paint; which is why I learned to paint. Champagne taste and a beer budget as they used to say, back in the day.

The elephant, maybe, the cover not so much. That is some kind of transfer, albeit the price difference.

Julie posted some size comparison photos of various Roman figures and they all seemed size compatible at about 60mm tall. I have TCS, Conte, TG and JJD Roman figures that I use together in dioramas I have posted on the Forum. Check my posts for the photos, I have done a lot of Roman dioramas.

Do Thomas Gunn Roman’s work well scale-wise with First Legion ones?

Julie posted some size comparison photos of various Roman figures and they all seemed size compatible at about 60mm tall. I have TCS, Conte, TG and JJD Roman figures that I use together in dioramas I have posted on the Forum. Check my posts for the photos, I have done a lot of Roman dioramas.

Thanks! I had a look at Julie’s pics. Looks like fl and tg romans can go together pretty well. Tg ones might be a bit bigger. I’ll check out your dioramas next...

FL figures generally run on the small side when compared with other manufacturers figures; even compared with W. Britains!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back